You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How good are the Pixies????

Fugitive

No chance. I'm a soul boy - always have been, always will be.

Well if it's soul you're after maybe give The Constantines a whirl. They describe their own (rock) music as soul because it gets you; right there.

*clenches fist and pumps it against heart*

Edited by TK421

• 8 months later...

Just heard the pixies are gonna tour this year. Tickets out Friday for a gig in dublin in October. Last time they played Dublin I was getting married that day and could not attend - a bad day all round then. For the few uninitiated please see linko below for the greatets rock and roll band that the planet has seen.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Bump.

I was mooching around in HMV the other day and spotted a gem of a bargain. Picked up a copy of the book 'Fool The World' for £3. Basically, it's a history of the band with input from the four members and those closest to them. I'm properly engrossed in it. I wasn't keen on the structure at first, because it's block upon block of various people having their say at different parts of the book and it takes a bit of getting used to, but it's a great read once you get into it.

What an amazing band. I've got the urge to blast them out through my speakers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ian garro

Being an artistic sort of a swine, I was flicking through the TV Guide thingy, on the goldmine that is Sky Arts 1, last night, before I went to bed, when I saw The Pixies Acoustic at the Newport Folk Festival, was on at 3am this morning. So, it got Sky +d, and it's fucking ace. Absolutely brilliant.

There's one on tonight at 9pm, The Pixies live at Eurockeenes.

You're welcome.

• 11 months later...

Something to look forward to. Let's hope Frank Black has been storing up some belters.

The Pixies set to record new material | Music | guardian.co.uk

The Pixies set to record new material

Once current tour finishes, two decades after the release of their last album, 'it'll be time', says guitarist

Sean Michaels guardian.co.uk,

Monday 2 May 2011 11.22 BST

Article history

When their tour is finished, the Pixies want to make a new album. "We gotta plan to make something new," drummer David Lovering explained in a recent interview. Two decades after the release of their album Trompe Le Monde, the rock legends have fans who weren't even born the last time they released a record. "We're gonna wear out our welcome soon enough," Lovering said. Besides, even Bono is hassling them.

The Pixies split in 1993 and reunited in 2004, and the past seven years have been marked by constant gigging. "We were happy to just tour, and it's been non-stop because people want to see us," Lovering told Spinner. Although the band have been talking about a new album "for years", Lovering admitted, "nothing's come to fruition" – allegedly due to the reluctance of bassist Kim Deal.

But things seem to be changing. When this tour is finished, suggested guitarist Joey Santiago, "it'll be time". "Making a record will be in the forefront ... We've definitely gelled as a unit and hopefully when we can all bury the hatchet – and we have – maybe we'll go in there and hope for the best."

The Pixies still have "friction", Santiago acknowledged, though he and Lovering aren't really the problem. "If there were two people to pick ... it would probably be the other two [laughs]." But the musicians claim that even Kim Deal and Frank Black can probably be convinced. "Who knows once we get in there?" Santiago said. "I think that makes good music. [The Kinks'] Ray Davies, you know, beating up his little brother, [laughs] that friction, we've always kind of used it. Like, 'Oh yeah? Screw you, we're gonna play'. That little angst, it's good."

Besides, it isn't just 18-year-old fans clamouring for a sixth LP: the frontman of U2 has been tugging at the Pixies' sleeves. "Bono even asked," Santiago said. "Remember that? He's like, 'Please make a record!' Goddamn, we can't leave that unturned. That would frustrate me. It would. I think we should do it. But it's up to everybody."

The Pixies complete their Doolittle tour in Victoria, Canada on 5 May .

I saw them live at Reading in 05 as well, it was probably the best thing I've seen live. Love them. For XBOX'ers, there was a live set available on Zune not long back, which I bought and is now stored on my machine which I watch now and then to remind me of how fat and class Frank is.