You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How good are the Pixies????

Fugitive

Guest PaddyBerger15
Nice one thanks for those recommendations, I'll give them a go, I'm quite liking what I'm finding clicking the links on You Tube, although what's with the cardigan love? : )

I think I was always put off by the we're SO cool air Sonic Youth seemed to give off, the Pixies were a bit more quirky and rocked out so they appealed to my inner metalhead, it helped make the move from listening to Bon Jovi and Def Leppard a lot easier.

Yeah I'd agree with that VF, Sonic Youth were definitely more 'art school' types than The Pixies. If you have a metal based taste then The Pixies end of the grunge spectrum would be much more to your tastes. Sonic Youth were excellent, but like you say, not as quirky, fuzzed out or basically rocking as Nirvana or Mudhoney or The Pixies.

Have you checked out any old school Rollins Band stuff? If you haven't, I'm pretty certain you would love that.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Used to love this track. Perfect teenage angst music.

[YOUTUBE]o28dyt7w3As[/YOUTUBE]

Although I suspect you may mean earlier than this one.

That is one of my favourite tracks Norkmeister, The End of Silence is a brilliant album, monumentally raging. That was the last truly excellent album Rollins knocked out. I think VF would like that, but some earlier Rollins Band albums are just as good....I'm thinking of Lifetime, Hard Volume and Hot Animal Machine. I'd say that Lifetime is just about the best. Burned Beyond Recognition is great, that is an album that you can really get your aggression out to, I used to listen to that when doing the punchbag or lifting weights.

I've never listened to either The Pixies or Sonic Youth.

I badgered my cousin for years how good the pixies were. One day he came to me and almost wept in self pity how he'd been pixieless and thanked me hard.

I'd go chronologically. It's difficult as Come on Pilgrim is now bolted onto Surfa Rosa CD but I origianlly bought it as it came out on smashing vinyl with the beautifully dark 4AD artwork. I have the chainwithnoname LTD Ed Doolittle booklet. Lovely stuff. Ooo wandered off there, so . . . . .

I'd get their darker stuff before the delightful Doolittle pop gem.

As for the other arguement, Pixies and Sonic Youth shit all over Nirvana. Originally = longeivity.

Pixies

Sonic Youth

Nirvana

Guest PaddyBerger15
I badgered my cousin for years how good the pixies were. One day he came to me and almost wept in self pity how he'd been pixieless and thanked me hard.

I'd go chronologically. It's difficult as Come on Pilgrim is now bolted onto Surfa Rosa CD but I origianlly bought it as it came out on smashing vinyl with the beautifully dark 4AD artwork. I have the chainwithnoname LTD Ed Doolittle booklet. Lovely stuff. Ooo wandered off there, so . . . . .

I'd get their darker stuff before the delightful Doolittle pop gem.

As for the other arguement, Pixies and Sonic Youth shit all over Nirvana. Originally = longeivity.

Pixies

Sonic Youth

Nirvana

Its Guardian Music Journalist of the year for you my lad.

That is one of my favourite tracks Norkmeister, The End of Silence is a brilliant album, monumentally raging. That was the last truly excellent album Rollins knocked out. I think VF would like that, but some earlier Rollins Band albums are just as good....I'm thinking of Lifetime, Hard Volume and Hot Animal Machine. I'd say that Lifetime is just about the best. Burned Beyond Recognition is great, that is an album that you can really get your aggression out to, I used to listen to that when doing the punchbag or lifting weights.

Yeah you can't go wrong with a bit of Rollins, when I first started getting into the whole skateboarding thing (well mainly falling off them) in the late 80's I loved the Rollins Band and Suicidal Tendencies, great days grrrrrr.

The 4AD packaging was always great, definately stood out when I was mooching in HMV back in the day, the cd booklets always seemed to be loads thicker.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Yeah you can't go wrong with a bit of Rollins, when I first started getting into the whole skateboarding thing (well mainly falling off them) in the late 80's I loved the Rollins Band and Suicidal Tendencies, great days grrrrrr.

The 4AD packaging was always great, definately stood out when I was mooching in HMV back in the day, the cd booklets always seemed to be loads thicker.

Still not as good as The Warriors of Genghis Khan by Bad News though VF.

I introduced Rondeco to the pixies and he has never thanked me or even offered to give me a reachround. All he does is post pictures of pretty girls all day long. Now he even thinks he knows more about them than I do. But he secretly fears that I have shagged Kim Deal once or twice and that is what keeps me going.

Still not as good as The Warriors of Genghis Khan by Bad News though VF.

Haha, yeah that's fantastic, there's a really bad mandolin solo on the album version that still makes me laugh even though I've had it for years.

There's a great documentary about the glam metal scene in LA around 1989 (I think) called The Decline of Western Civilization Part 2- The Metal Years. It shows why Grunge HAD to happen but there's some great stuff in it with people like Ozzy and Lemmy.

I introduced Rondeco to the pixies and he has never thanked me or even offered to give me a reachround. All he does is post pictures of pretty girls all day long. Now he even thinks he knows more about them than I do. But he secretly fears that I have shagged Kim Deal once or twice and that is what keeps me going.

You wish you did. All I remember from you is being forced to sing the ballad of john and yoko when I was 7 and you were 16 so you could sing the harmony part. Introduced me to the pixies? Try again sunshine.

Btw, I do know more about pretty girls than you. Just ask your sister..

You wish you did. All I remember from you is being forced to sing the ballad of john and yoko when I was 7 and you were 16 so you could sing the harmony part. Introduced me to the pixies? Try again sunshine.

Btw, I do know more about pretty girls than you. Just ask your sister..

I assume you meant 'when I was 17 stone' you fat fuck. You thought the pixies lived under your bed and made your christams presents. The only Frank you knew was the local priest who gave you special training after mass. Although i will concede that doolittle has become your life philosophy.

I wish more groups with guitars sounded as fresh as they do instead of derivative and dull.

What's wrong with the word "rock"?

Is it possible you have prejudice against this kind of music which stops you from enjoying it? Granted there is a lot of derivative crap, but there's also soulful, meaningful, life-changingly good music of this type.

What's wrong with the word "rock"?

Is it possible you have prejudice against this kind of music which stops you from enjoying it? Granted there is a lot of derivative crap, but there's also soulful, meaningful, life-changingly good music of this type.

Ha, ha, ha!!! There's nothing wrong with the word rock; I'm just not sure whether it is an appropriate choice to encompass the breadth of music I was thinking about (I'm not up to date on all the sub-genres out there). I have no prejudice against rock music apart from hearing so little of it that I like. The only guitar bands/artists whose stuff I've consistently liked over the last ten years or so are Radiohead, Super Furry Animals, Paul Weller and Supergrass. Are they all "rock"? I've no idea. I occassionally hear the odd tune that I like, but when I go exploring further, I come up against what I find to be bland and dull.

I take it from your slightly touchy response that you read my comment as a criticism; it's not at all. I have no problem with other people's taste in music - I was just describing my own. I'm under no illusions whatsoever about how many people dislike the kind of stuff I'm into, but that's OK - it's just taste. I'm far from from prejudiced about rock music. I am frustrated by it though.

I used to really like Oasis when they first appeared. You could hear their influences in their work, but it still sounded exciting, new and original. Now they just seem to make a new version of the same record every time they relase an album; they haven't written anything that can compare to Wonderwall, for example, in years.

. . .rock . . is . . . . bland and dull. I . . like . . Oasis

hehe

The problem surrounding the dull and blandness of todays guitar music is times have changed where shite derivative bands like Keane, Oasis and Snow Patrol manage to stay in the public eye. In the past 95% of rock bands would manage 2-3 albums then disappear. People used to buy shite pop and every now and again some 'alternative' band would make the charts. Now all 'alternative' music is drowned by dullards buying (or downloading) bland guitar stuff. I hate them all.

Copyright Late Night Review

Ha, ha, ha!!! There's nothing wrong with the word rock; I'm just not sure whether it is an appropriate choice to encompass the breadth of music I was thinking about (I'm not up to date on all the sub-genres out there). I have no prejudice against rock music apart from hearing so little of it that I like. The only guitar bands/artists whose stuff I've consistently liked over the last ten years or so are Radiohead, Super Furry Animals, Paul Weller and Supergrass. Are they all "rock"? I've no idea. I occassionally hear the odd tune that I like, but when I go exploring further, I come up against what I find to be bland and dull.

I take it from your slightly touchy response that you read my comment as a criticism; it's not at all. I have no problem with other people's taste in music - I was just describing my own. I'm under no illusions whatsoever about how many people dislike the kind of stuff I'm into, but that's OK - it's just taste. I'm far from from prejudiced about rock music. I am frustrated by it though.

I used to really like Oasis when they first appeared. You could hear their influences in their work, but it still sounded exciting, new and original. Now they just seem to make a new version of the same record every time they relase an album; they haven't written anything that can compare to Wonderwall, for example, in years.

Maybe prejudice is the wrong word, but if you're frustrated by it then it suggests to me that deep down there is a rocker trying to get out of the Teach and a bit of gentle coaxing might help things along. I've always found it odd how The Pixies are the indie/rock band of choice for people who mainly prefer other genres (hate that word) of music.

As Hamstrung says if you dig a bit deeper, away from the Guardian Guide's flavour of the month, then the rewards are there.

As far as Oasis are concerned I think Stop Crying Your Heart Out beats Wonderwall hands down.

Finding the decent bands inbetween the likes of Oasis and some bloke trumping his wife on a synthesiser for myspace is pretty difficult I say.

Any decent blog/web sites I can follow? Its been a long while since I worked in a record shop. Waffle??

This is pretty random but you can spends ages on Amazon using the "people who liked this also bought..." on stuff you like and then youtubeing the stuff that sounds interesting.

Maybe prejudice is the wrong word, but if you're frustrated by it then it suggests to me that deep down there is a rocker trying to get out of the Teach and a bit of gentle coaxing might help things along. I've always found it odd how The Pixies are the indie/rock band of choice for people who mainly prefer other genres (hate that word) of music.

As Hamstrung says if you dig a bit deeper, away from the Guardian Guide's flavour of the month, then the rewards are there.

As far as Oasis are concerned I think Stop Crying Your Heart Out beats Wonderwall hands down.

No chance. I'm a soul boy - always have been, always will be. The reason I like The Pixies is because they understand rhythm and, especially, melody. I liked The Wedding Present and The Smiths for the same reasons (are they rock bands?). Happy Mondays are another favourite of mine, as are Talking Heads.

To me, all the artists I mentioned (including those in the previous post) have an innate understanding of melody. Most of the stuff I would loosely refer to as rock that I hear these days is just a joyless dirge. Smells Like Teen Spirit, despite its nihilism, is still a joyful record. Maybe the joy is inferred rather than implied, but it's there nevertheless. I don't hear that in most other stuff I give a try.