You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I've had a listen on my fancy new sound system and have decided that they need to sack the producer, mainly for making Mani and Reni sound rubbish.

Yeah am not into the production either, almost said just after listening to the new one. I can't remember hearing much bass (have only listened to it a couple of times), but the drums sounded off and really heavy in the mix for a Roses tune.

• Upvote 1

I've had a listen on my fancy new sound system and have decided that they need to sack the producer, mainly for making Mani and Reni sound rubbish.

Said that after the first one. He's produced Adele. He has no idea how to work with the sound of proper bands who make their own music.

Great work with Adele, no doubt. But this? Nah, ruined it quite a bit for me.

• Upvote 1

A mate of mine who's a record producer has been told that Reni hasn't been at these sessions.  It'd make sense with the drums sounding shite on both of these tracks.

That wouldn't surprise me, he stopped playing for a few years as far as I'm aware before the reunion & having watched him since on Youtube, I don't think he's as good as he used to be (although still pretty fucking good). All for One could've been anyone on drums & this newer track sounds like a loop to me & not a great one either.

One thing that contradicts this is that Reni has a writing credit on the new track, maybe that's part of the deal though, I'm not sure his heart is in it. Personally I wish they'd packed it in for good when Reni left in '95.

That wouldn't surprise me, he stopped playing for a few years as far as I'm aware before the reunion & having watched him since on Youtube, I don't think he's as good as he used to be (although still pretty fucking good). All for One could've been anyone on drums & this newer track sounds like a loop to me & not a great one either.

One thing that contradicts this is that Reni has a writing credit on the new track, maybe that's part of the deal though, I'm not sure his heart is in it. Personally I wish they'd packed it in for good when Reni left in '95.

Definitely starting to agree with that statement. 

John Leckie & Simon Dawson managed to get Ian Brown to sound ok in the studio but other than that, he's always been awful, I can't listen to his solo stuff because the singing is garbage on it, all of it. I see people online kidding themselves on that it's great but it's just not, especially after having listened to artists who can sing a bit.

I actually watched a bit of the Blackpool '89 gig on dvd a couple of weeks back & had to turn it off after a couple of songs because of him, he certainly had a bit of stage presence in those days but he's a middle aged man now & I don't think his stage presence cuts it anymore. I'm really pleased for fans who get to go & see their reunion gigs & have the time of their life but I'll be fucked if I'm paying £60 to go & listen to that.

• Upvote 2

It's probably worth 60 quid when you get Buzzcocks, Coral and Public Enemy as well.

I'd be well pissed off if I got The Courteeners night though.

I wouldn't pay £10 to go & watch any of them, I used to love Public Enemy as a kid but haven't listened to any hip hop since the mid 90s.

I do have a lot of time for Chuck D though.

leaving all chin-stroking and over-analysis aside which is for others clearly more qualified, go mainly for the day out these days for a change of scenery, few beers and a few laughs. pulled at Heaton Park so you never know there also. never been to the Etihad either so thought i'd check it out.

didn't go with high expectations last time and won't this- was pleasantly surprised before so if that pans out, great.

pity the day I could go up didn't have the Friday line-up as that is spot-on. although don't think i'd want to spend hours on end in there. happy to see PE though again, i always get their new releases on vinyl- and they are always solid. short set will just be the hits though i suppose- 25 years plus since I first saw them. true legends.

PiL tomorrow starts an action-packed weekend paid for courtesy of unmentionable results.

• Upvote 1