You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (H) - FA Cup 5th Rnd - Wed 28th Feb 2024 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

This game is live on ITV. One of those games where I'm sure both teams would have preferred a rest week. For Southampton, it's because they are in a fight with the likes of Leeds and Ipswich for an automatic promotion place (maybe even with Leicester, who've recently managed to rekindle their Premier League form of last season, with that Toploader-looking fuck Wout Faes and his own goals to the fore, though they still hold a significant lead in the table). If Southampton go on a cup run, that generally means having crucial league games rescheduled and possibly playing catch-up when bodies are getting weary. For us, we could do with a break from the relentless injury list which claims a new victim every game. The problem with having fewer and fewer options to call upon is that you also risk the available ones hitting the 'red zone'. We have also had an annoying habit since around 1990 of having a decent cup run one year, followed by about 5 years in a row of going no further than this stage.

Our last Anfield FA Cup tie against the Saints came at this same stage of the competition in 1990. Their starting line-up contained ex-Red Jimmy Case, and another old boy Sammy Lee came on as sub. They also had a couple of future blooshites starting for them, in Barry Horne and Paul Rideout. There was also a young Alan Shearer playing up front. Two years later he would become the Premier League's record transfer when he moved to Blackburn, then managed by Kenny. The match itself was a comfortable afternoon which finished 3-0 to the Reds. Rushie got the opener with a sharp turn and finish after being played in by Whelan following a quick corner. The second goal arrived in the second half, and it was Beardo's twinkle toes that enabled him to sell a dummy to a Saints defender and place the ball over the advancing Tim Flowers. Stevie Nicol showed even more composure when the ball broke to him in the area. Instead of hammering a shot at goal, he went for a deft chip over the stranded Flowers to make it 3. We went on to face QPR in the quarter finals, in a tie that went to a replay at Anfield following a 2-2 draw at Loftus Road.

What does Jurgen do here? Will we have any of the recent absentees available again? Will we pick up yet more injuries? Will some of our lads be knackered after 120 minutes at Wembley? Will the players be able to refocus after their efforts against Chelsea? Will Southampton go for it or will they treat the game as a free hit, hoping to capitalise on errors from us and/or set pieces? I would expect that Jurgen will continue to look for maximum motivation, concentration, attitude and application from first minute to last, regardless of who is selected. A place in the quarter finals beckons. Get it done!

• Upvote 8

No one who is expected to start against Forest should play this one. We can’t afford to risk any more injuries with the situation we have, and I’d also say we should be extremely cautious about who plays in the Europa game the week after given that City are up three days later.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

No one who is expected to start against Forest should play this one. We can’t afford to risk any more injuries with the situation we have, and I’d also say we should be extremely cautious about who plays in the Europa game the week after given that City are up three days later.

Send a youthful side to Prague if need be. We'll hammer them at home 

Fuck knows who will be available, but from what we've just seen, I reckon anyone who can pull on a red shirt will find a way.

I don't think that the likes of Salah, Nuñez and Szoboszlai will be fit for this, but we could do with a win so they can join in the next round.

Just get these beat, Reds.

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Team prediction

GK - Achterberg

LB - Tsimikas

CB - Quansah

CB - Phil Thompson

RB - Ljinders

LCM - Clarke

DM - Doris the tea lady

RCM - Code

LW - Strogs

SC - Danns

RW - 3Stacks

No Jay Spearing? Are we too good for Jay Spearing now??

4 minutes ago, Judge said:

I am willing to sacrify both the FA cup and the Europe League now. Let the kids play both tournaments until we have a better injury situation and let us go all in to win the league.

Imagine talking about sacrifing tournaments, when you should still be basking in the glow of a great manager leading a great club to yet another trophy.

I'm not sacrificing anything.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

1.Scrappy Doo.

2.Stewie Griffin.

3.Boss Baby.

4.Maggie Simpson.

5.Tommy Pickles.

6. Po.

7. Tinky Winky.

8. Dipsy.

9. La La.

10.  Baby Yoda.

11. Bam Bam.

Manager: Mr Tumble.

Shame Stewie wasn't on today, he'd have probably slit Caicedo's throat.

44 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Imagine talking about sacrifing tournaments, when you should still be basking in the glow of a great manager leading a great club to yet another trophy.

I'm not sacrificing anything.  

I think you are being pedantic now.

I can promise you that I enjoyed this victory more than most. My point was that the most important thing of all is to see Jurgen beat the cheaters and win league title nr. 2  before he leaves.

With our extreme injury situation I am willing to risk going out of the other cups by resting the key players that are left, because then we have a good chance of taking the league title.

Do you really want to start with MacAllister, Endo (if fit) and Diaz on wednesday  against Southampton? I think that will be stupid and I am sure that Klopp agrees with me on this.

36 minutes ago, aws said:

Kelleher

Tsimikas

VVD

Quansah

Bradley

Clark

Mac

McConnell

Gakpo

Danns

Fuck knows - hopefully Darwin and Mo will be good for 45 mins each.  

Gomez will probably play CB, with Van Dijk rested.