You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

There are loads of people still in work though, and school obviously, so if you found the positive people there and got them to isolate then that would reduce the spread.

I don’t think it’ll be that successful though because most people won’t be arsed getting a test if they’re feeling fine. If they come into your workplace and take it there then maybe a lot will get it done but if you’ve got to go and queue up at a test centre to get it then most won’t I reckon. 

There was a woman interviewed on 5 Live earlier-

"There's no point in me getting a test unless I've got symptoms"

"But you can still be infectious without symptoms."

"Oh, I didn't think of that. Well, you've got to live your life haven't you?"

Zero chance of this being a success.

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

Yeah I think so too. Only anecdotal but doesn’t seem much interest in getting a test from most of my mates and family who’ve mentioned it.

16 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

There are loads of people still in work though, and school obviously, so if you found the positive people there and got them to isolate then that would reduce the spread.

I don’t think it’ll be that successful though because most people won’t be arsed getting a test if they’re feeling fine. If they come into your workplace and take it there then maybe a lot will get it done but if you’ve got to go and queue up at a test centre to get it then most won’t I reckon. 

To be honest I think a lot would, I'd happily do it, but it doesn't seem to be part of any overall strategy. They should have been doing stuff like this after the last lockdown, not at the start of a new one, in one city. Baffling.

Where will the Liverpool testing centres be?  Will they all be in walking distance for everyone?  Who's going to get on a bus to take a test they may not need?  And if you do need a test, because you have symptoms, you shouldn't be getting on a bus anyway.

47 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

To be honest I think a lot would, I'd happily do it, but it doesn't seem to be part of any overall strategy. They should have been doing stuff like this after the last lockdown, not at the start of a new one, in one city. Baffling.

That's what I was thinking- people would gladly do it if there was a point to it and it led to something that could help. There doesn't immediately seem to be one.

4 minutes ago, Mudface said:

That's what I was thinking- people would gladly do it if there was a point to it and it led to something that could help. There doesn't immediately seem to be one.

I just don't get it. Say they tested everyone and found new cases. And what? Is that going to reduce pressure on the NHS, allow more people to go about their business better, what? What's the goal? The Chinese were doing stuff like this but to contain outbreaks in specific cities. Covid is everywhere in England and entire country is gonna go into a fucking lockdown anyway. Who makes this shit up?

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

China had it right.  Board the fuckers into their homes if they can't understand this.  

12 hours ago, cloggypop said:

You'd hope so. They pay their taxes. It's the weed growers I'm worried about. Bit of a grey area thst. 

Now that's what I call a Titty Twister.

12 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Don't know what I'm missing with all this talk of mass testing in Liverpool being a "game changer" (if I had a quid every time I'd heard that).

So if I know I've got it what happens then?

Go home and don't come out.

But we're all in lockdown so that's what I'd be doing anyway?

Well...yeah.

Isn't the idea as much to see if it's doable both logistically and if people will do it? And it's a major test of the rapid tests. 

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

Just one thing on the testing, it's not just that there are potential flaws with PCR testing, it's the mass testing in general. If we mass tested for Flu we'd find much more significant numbers, because up to 70% of cases of fl are asymptomatic.

Hold on, one of your theories is that infection rates are much higher than assumed.  This gives us that data. 

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Read that back. 

More people having it doesn’t mean more people have it, it means they are immune (which is not having it). Christ. 

Let me break it down for you.

Cases = have the virus symptomatically or asymptomatically.

Infections - those who have the virus symptomatically and enough of it to pass it on.

Cases offer immunity, not just infections

*This may not be the correct terminology, which is perhaps why you didn't understand.

I think it would be interesting and offer excellent data if it was taken up by everybody,  but I suspect there will be a large segment of the Liverpool population who will not be bothered or find it awkward to attend , and add to this people who won't want to know if they are positive if they won't get paid for 2 weeks or lose their jobs, and it will be a damp squib.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I think it would be interesting and offer excellent data if it was taken up by everybody,  but I suspect there will be a large segment of the Liverpool population who will not be bothered or find it awkward to attend , and add to this people who won't want to know if they are positive if they won't get paid for 2 weeks or lose their jobs, and it will be a damp squib.

A lot of firms are saying they won't pay sick pay for Covid-19, so that leaves SSP, which is shite.

They are offering a £500 payment, but only if you can prove you will be destitute due to not being able to work from home.

They dangle a carrott and then twat you over the head with a hammer.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

A lot of firms are saying they won't pay sick pay for Covid-19, so that leaves SSP, which is shite.

They are offering a £500 payment, but only if you can prove you will be destitute due to not being able to work from home.

They dangle a carrott and then twat you over the head with a hammer.

Yes, can't understand why they didn't just say anybody who tested positive would get say £750 as long as they isolated.

Working rough figures , 1m eligible people! Say a high of 500 in every 100k positive

5000 x £750 = £3.75m 

Chicken feed basically.