You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Paco

14 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Yeah, I know, that is why I don't see him leaving before Jan or next summer now.

He is gonna make 6 mil this year - he is going nowhere.

It's more likely he never plays for us again than somebody comes in for him in January, unless it is a pre contract abroad. He doesn't strike me as that kind of player.

I don't hate him but he has been one of our more disappointing transfers of Klopp's tenure.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

He is gonna make 6 mil this year - he is going nowhere.

It's more likely he never plays for us again than somebody comes in for him in January, unless it is a pre contract abroad. He doesn't strike me as that kind of player.

I am not particularly disagreeing with you that he is likely to be here until next summer. I just don't think it is all about money with him.

2 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

TLW has a massive hatred for this lad that I don't see matched anywhere else really. My mates who are season ticket holders don't hate him. My mates from abroad who follow LFC don't hate him either.

The injuries he's had with us have not been down to lack of fitness or not being athletic enough for top level football. The injury he got against Roma in particular could happen to any player and will always take ages to come back from. Even as recently as the 00s you saw players unable to compete at anywhere near their previous level after that kind of injury.

I think using Trent in the way we do means we want the midfield to be safer and more functional, that's not Ox's game. When we signed him we were using him to burst past people in the middle of the park, take shots, overlap down the right, get crosses in, not worry about ball retention and covering full backs. I think that's why Klopp is reluctant to play him and give him the time to evolve his game.

It doesn't help that pre-season is massively important to Klopp, he uses it to drill all the players in how to play for the entire season, and Ox has had maybe one complete pre-season with us ever.

I think people questioning his attitude and calling him an Instagram player who only cares about social media and shit like that are well wide of the mark. He's put in decent performances for us as recently as last winter, he's just not quite good enough (or a good enough fit) for a team as fucking excellent as this Liverpool side. 

I don't hate him, I just don't think he's very good at football even when he is available. 

3 hours ago, m0e said:

I think he was implying a season ending injury. He's gone on record numerous times along the lines of "when _____ is back in 2 to 3 months, what do you want me to do with them then?"

I'd be surprised if he starts another league or CL game for us again. In fact maybe play another minute in those competitions. He's a lad who takes time to get his rhythm and now his pre-season is done, I expect his whole season to be done. I still agree though we won't replace him. The league cup is weird timing this season, so maybe there's a chance he'll play some games right after the world cup with plenty of domestic cup games. 

15 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

TLW has a massive hatred for this lad that I don't see matched anywhere else really. My mates who are season ticket holders don't hate him. My mates from abroad who follow LFC don't hate him either.

The injuries he's had with us have not been down to lack of fitness or not being athletic enough for top level football. The injury he got against Roma in particular could happen to any player and will always take ages to come back from. Even as recently as the 00s you saw players unable to compete at anywhere near their previous level after that kind of injury.

I think using Trent in the way we do means we want the midfield to be safer and more functional, that's not Ox's game. When we signed him we were using him to burst past people in the middle of the park, take shots, overlap down the right, get crosses in, not worry about ball retention and covering full backs. I think that's why Klopp is reluctant to play him and give him the time to evolve his game.

It doesn't help that pre-season is massively important to Klopp, he uses it to drill all the players in how to play for the entire season, and Ox has had maybe one complete pre-season with us ever.

I think people questioning his attitude and calling him an Instagram player who only cares about social media and shit like that are well wide of the mark. He's put in decent performances for us as recently as last winter, he's just not quite good enough (or a good enough fit) for a team as fucking excellent as this Liverpool side. 

He simply shouldnt have been signed as we knew his injury record was terrible,let alone paying 35m for a player with one year left on his contract. It wasnt rocket science yet we persisted with it. A bad signing in a sea of great ones.

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He simply shouldnt have been signed as we knew his injury record was terrible,let alone paying 35m for a player with one year left on his contract. It wasnt rocket science yet we persisted with it. A bad signing in a sea of great ones.

Personally I think it was just a kneejerk reaction to coutinho throwing his toys out of the pram and we thought we were clever getting ahead of the game. It looked like it was working for the first couple of months coutinho was gone too. 

give the poor fucker a break

i doubt he's at home laughing his arse off because he's injured again. more than likely he's depressed as fuck and feeling rather shitty. 

he was a decent player for us in his first season, grew into the central role and scored some excellent and important goals, that ligament injury, unfortunately for him, and us, has pretty much put an end to his career at a top level club. 

but calling him shit, or mediocre, thats bang out of order if you ask me. Because the lad was neither.... 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

i doubt he's at home laughing his arse off because he's injured again. more than likely he's depressed as fuck and feeling rather shitty. 

he was a decent player for us in his first season, grew into the central role and scored some excellent and important goals, that ligament injury, unfortunately for him, and us, has pretty much put an end to his career at a top level club. 

but calling him shit, or mediocre, thats bang out of order if you ask me. Because the lad was neither.... 

‘ was ‘ he will be dancing back to fitness before we know it. 

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

I don't get the hate myself. Some people think that because players are well paid they're happy to sit on their arse when all they know is playing football and it's probably a pretty shitty experience being out of action, not involved in the day to day etc.

I'll never fault a player if they try and aren't a gobshite. He has ability but he does take a few games to get some rhythm going and he won't get that consistent run here but I think people are very harsh. He didn't cough up the transfer fee paid for him.

1 minute ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Still Keita for me. Ox at least has that goal against City to be remembered for.

35m with a year left we bought a crock and we got a crock. Keita scores one in ten in the PL same as Chamberlain. Over three years missed in his career through injury. Keita is an Iron Man in comparison.

39 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

35m with a year left we bought a crock and we got a crock. Keita scores one in ten in the PL same as Chamberlain. Over three years missed in his career through injury. Keita is an Iron Man in comparison.

Keita was £50m odd, has been here only a year less, and averages just three more appearances per season than Oxlade-Chamberlain, with a slightly worse goal average.

6 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Keita was £50m odd, has been here only a year less, and averages just three more appearances per season than Oxlade-Chamberlain, with a slightly worse goal average.

Keita was a breakout star much sort after, he has been a failure too. Missed a dozen games before coming here so the intensity must be too much. Keita had no history of injury and was not in his last year of his contract. Chamberlain had played and not impressed in the PL for years. 

7 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Keita was a breakout star much sort after, he has been a failure too. Missed a dozen games before coming here so the intensity must be too much. Keita had no history of injury and was not in his last year of his contract. Chamberlain had played and not impressed in the PL for years. 

Keita's Bundesliga form is why I have him as the worse signing. We know what he's capable of. Ox at least had a little purple patch, and showed intensity when fit. Keita loses 50/50s with a strong breeze.

1 minute ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Keita's Bundesliga form is why I have him as the worse signing. We know what he's capable of. Ox at least had a little purple patch, and showed intensity when fit. Keita loses 50/50s with a strong breeze.

Was the purple patch bruising? Only kidding. Chamberlain was barely played when fit last season you could say the manager knows best but he bought them both, we all make mistakes even Klopp. Anyway agree to disagree fella, have a good one.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...