You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool V Manchester City, July 31st, 12:10am

Lario

Does Yankee Stadium have a smaller field than Fenway? The pitch looks ridiculously narrow and it's not a good surface because of how much has had to be filled in. While playing in a famous baseball stadium has a certain novelty factor, it would have been better to play the game at the much smaller but football-specific Red Bull Arena.

They've looked sharper and more powerful than us that's for sure. Yes it's preseason but you'd like to think with 2 weeks to go,we'd have a bit of shape and pattern to our play. Seemed bereft of ideas,especially when Kelly was advanced on the right. It broke down far too often and we got caught high a few times. Not worried but not overjoyed either.

Think Sturridge tries too hard on his pens and ends up over-thinking them. He's got enough natural power that as long he makes sure they're on target they're going to go in more often than not.

For that matter I think Coutinho has a similar problem when it comes to shooting from open play. Whenever it clicks for him though, and I do believe it will, he's going to be a truly world class player instead.

The pitch was dire last night and stifled both teams, the ball just didn't seem to run smoothly at all, and I think the first 20 minutes players looked a bit nervous of it, especially down the near edge (to the cam).

I thought Sterling looked very good and Henderson had a decent game.

Gerrard's fumble for City's goal was just unlucky really. I didn't see it as a mistake as such.

I thought Liverpool had the better of the first 15 minutes, but then City started taking more control, but control is one thing, goals are another. Both teams looked threatening on the counter, and both looked very weak at the back.

After City's substitutions, they lost a bit of impetus, and Liverpool came on strong.

Was quite a decent game to watch IMO, but again, I think the pitch really let the game down. Not a lot learned. Neither team at full strength, but from a City perspective, I think we had more top players missing (but I would argue that wouldn't I?).

Looked a decent fan turnout. I'd say 75/25 Liverpool/City.

Could have been 4:4 with the chances are both ends.

I was very impressed with Sterling. He looks like he is taking on more authority and he has found a goalscoring touch. Some of his finishing was sublime when previously he scuffed at shots. If he keeps it going he will have an excellent season. 

Can looks a player too. I think he will see plenty of action this coming season. 

I've only seen the the highlights briefly but it would seem that Robinson was done for the first goal and Johnson was in dreamland when they scored the second. A taste of things to come if we don't bring in a decent LB at the very minimum. Absolute top priority in my mind as we will win fuck all with the current incumbents. 

the good thing about live football is that you really see the difference between a game changer and someone who is just good. Raheem is our new Suarez. However, Coutinho is not ready to be a back-up just yet. I hope Brendan is going to try for a game-changer like Reus who can truly hurt the opposition.

Sturridge is not yet sharp, and Lambert is very much our third striker, though hard-working and offering something else as a plan B.

The other thing that stood out, which we all know, is that we lack decent full-backs. Enrique and Kelly made Flanagan and Johnson look good -- they were that bad, although you have to admit that Navas is one of the best wingers around.  I hope the stories about Ayre in Spain to buy full-backs is true. Otherwise, we have to count on young Flanagan.

Great to see Simon save a penalty again. Central defence was our "B" pairing so didn't tell much, but you could see the class difference when Sakho came on.

Midfield did well, especially Steve and Jordan, and Can is making an impression. Again, Coutinho looks great in areas where he is given space, but closer to goal he is less accurate. He'll get there, but my wishlist is two full-backs AND a striker/ no. 10 game-changer, like Reus. Roll on next season!

• Upvote 1

I've only seen the the highlights briefly but it would seem that Robinson was done for the first goal and Johnson was in dreamland when they scored the second. A taste of things to come if we don't bring in a decent LB at the very minimum. Absolute top priority in my mind as we will win fuck all with the current incumbents.

stevie need to be where he was for first either.

City dominated the game and took advantage of sloppy defending on our part. We came back at them twice with well-worked goals from Henderson and Sterling. We struggled to cope with the pace of Navas and the movement of Jovetic. Our full backs in the second half were again better than the starting full backs, as happened in the Olympiakos game.

There is plenty to work on, but the pleasing aspect of this game is that the team looked far stronger in the last 10 minutes, and had by far the greater composure in the shoot-out.

I had a great time at this game and it was brilliant to see the team playing live in person for a change.

Thought Kelly and Robinson had poor games and Enrique forgot he was a defender and constantly got caught out of position in the first half.

I've read people saying Coates had a good game but I kept seeing Rodgers get very animated with him when he kicked possession away or into touch. I felt a know in my stomach anytime he or Toure had the ball at the back.

Sturridge looked out of sorts all game and his partnership with Lambert didn't work during this game.

Henderson is a genetic freak. Covered every blade of grass and was always looking for the ball. Lucas played well when he replaced Gerrard. Felt Allen was so so during his time on the field.

Can is a beast, really great prospect and Sakho was great when he came on. Really tightened things up at the back. Sterling is electric. The stadium buzzed every time he got the ball.

Moment of the match was the liverpool fans singing happy birthday to Yaya when he came on. Brilliant stuff and I laughed my arse off.

• Upvote 3