You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

8 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

PSG willing to offer 600k is, allegedly, what Salah’s agent is telling people.

I think if he goes there while there’s a good offer on the table it would certainly suggest a mental weakness that might make it difficult to blame FSG. I think it’s on them if they’re not prepared to offer a wage that would put him in the top 5 in the league, but a player prepared to cash out out an oil club if something truly absurd isn’t on the table is one for whom competing to be the best is no longer a concern.

I can't see him going to PSG simply for the money.  I think there's a 'status' thing that drives him towards La Liga.  Which is fine, understandable. He's 29, this conversation was in the post. 

I think even if we agreed to pay him what he is asking, that would only paper over a crack for 12 months.  But that 12 months could do untold damage to our wage structure and player happiness going forward for years. Christ, if you want to earn a payday to retire like a pseudo billionaire then do it age 32 and move to China or Dubai. 

With regards to PSG, an interesting factor came up on TAW where Rory Smith questioned the PSG project post-Qatar World Cup.  They might just close the brief case and move on. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Being honest, it seems like the club have made Mo a very decent offer. I had wondered if FSG might lowball him to try and get him slightly cheaper as he does seem to be happy to stay, but that doesn't look like the case.

Mo loves the club up to the point, but he doesn't love the club like some of the lads in the squad do. I've no problem with that. If I played with say a boss AC Milan team on deadly money and great players, I'd still be interested in hearing what Real Madrid or Bayern Munich had to had say if they showed an interest in me.

The most important person is Jurgen and while I'd rather keep Mo, I am confident that he could bring in very good players to cushion the blow. It is possible that while we would be weaker for next season, we might be in a better position in the long run. We will never have a gigantic net spend under FSG so this could be Coutinho repeating itself. We have seen with Jota and Diaz as well as countless other signings under Jurgen that we generally come out of a situation well. If we sign say Bellingham as part of selling Mo, we will be getting a very talented midfielder that still has a lot to learn, but could be a cornerstone of our team for 10-15 years. 

Mo seems like a very decent lad, but team spirit is massive for us. You see Ali running over and being as happy for Kev as he would himself. You see Virgil being over the moon for Big Bird. You see Hendo and Millie looking out for Elliott. If Mo wants to fuck us off for more money, then good luck to him. He doesn't have the worries we have financially so it's more ego talking. I could forgive leaving for Real but if he went to another English club, then I really couldn't view him the same way.

Summed up perfectly for me. 

1 hour ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I think if he goes there while there’s a good offer on the table it would certainly suggest a mental weakness that might make it difficult to blame FSG. I think it’s on them if they’re not prepared to offer a wage that would put him in the top 5 in the league, but a player prepared to cash out out an oil club if something truly absurd isn’t on the table is one for whom competing to be the best is no longer a concern.

Yeah I agree with that. The premier league is the modern day Serie A or La Liga of yesteryear, he is at one of the biggest clubs in the world, he is managed by Jurgen and plays with a team of great players where he is adored in a cathedral of football.

He goes to PSG and he is just hanging around for a handful of big games every year. He goes to City and he is letting himself and a lot of people down - far worse than when Sterling went there imo. Going to United and that would be inexcusable regardless of what they might try and offer him. Chelsea are out for obvious reasons and I think Newcastle are probably 3 years away from getting elite players.

I personally think he wouldn't go to another English club because I think he does care about the club and his legacy here so it looks like either stay here and accept he won't get as much as inferior players at City or United, check out at PSG in the hope he might win another Champions League, or just be another big player at Real in the shadow of Mbappe.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

If Mo decides on any move to PSG, he's giving up ever getting to a CL final ever again never mind winning it. And he'll never be Balon D'Or winner by just winning Ligue Un and getting knocked out of the CL at quarter final stage.

Ive never had Mo down as someone obsessed with big money wages, instead prefering to be competitive with a top club in England or Spain.

He's played in Italy, he knows Serie A isnt where it is at and the money isnt on par with the PL or Spain. Bayern would be interested and he'd be guaranteed Bundesliga titles but they wouldnt pay the wedge he's seeking.

Take a look at Mohamed Salah's first 20 goals for the Reds in the 2021-22 Premier League season, from his curling opener at Norwich City on the opening day to a penalty at Brighton & Hove Albion.

9 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

If Mo decides on any move to PSG, he's giving up ever getting to a CL final ever again never mind winning it. And he'll never be Balon D'Or winner by just winning Ligue Un and getting knocked out of the CL at quarter final stage.

Ive never had Mo down as someone obsessed with big money wages, instead prefering to be competitive with a top club in England or Spain.

He's played in Italy, he knows Serie A isnt where it is at and the money isnt on par with the PL or Spain. Bayern would be interested and he'd be guaranteed Bundesliga titles but they wouldnt pay the wedge he's seeking.

Agree with all that Docker! I actually think PSG have a fine team full of top players but having no more than 4 or 5 challenging games in their league season combined with a huge pressure to win the Champions League sets them up for a fall year in year out. Bayern might win the Bundesliga pretty much every year but at least it's full of competitve teams.

I think Bayern would be frugal with their wages. I would imagine they wouldn't offer as much as we might. I mean I could see us going up to about 400k, but just couldn't see a German team going amywhere near that. They'd be right too.

It's actually hillarious how much United pay on wages and barely a player of substance there. 

Agents are cunts and looking to get the most for themselves and their clients. Mo strikes me as an articulate man so I think if he went to another English club, especially the two Mancs, then I really would view his legacy as tarnished. I don't think he would though because I've only ever been impressed with him as a man.

• Upvote 1

Just reading that Pearce article. This Salah stand-off is at least partly yet another example of the impact malign ownerships like Abramovich and Abu Dhabi’s have had on football. Mo’s looking around at ultimately pretty average players like Grealish on £300k per week and comparing his wage to theirs. Yeah, because he’s being paid by a fucking sovereign oil fund. Absolutely takes the piss this shit is being allowed just as much as it always has at Chelsea.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Pete said:

All football 'agents' are cunts aren't they?

Agents only do what their player allows them to do. And you hear from them in situations like this where the club and the player aren't aligned on the value of the player. The bottom line is his job is to do his best for the player. He's not representing Liverpool, he's representing Salah and not just to a red audience, to the millions around the world who love Salah too and will follow him when he moves clubs.

You could argue the game doesn't need agents, but there's loads of things over in the shitness of modern football thread we could do without in the game. They're a fixture and I don't really know why people are surprised at their actions. They will use all they can to help their player achieve their aims. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dr Nowt said:

Just reading that Pearce article. This Salah stand-off is at least partly yet another example of the impact malign ownerships like Abramovich and Abu Dhabi’s have had on football. Mo’s looking around at ultimately pretty average players like Grealish on £300k per week and comparing his wage to theirs. Yeah, because he’s being paid by a fucking sovereign oil fund. Absolutely takes the piss this shit is being allowed just as much as it always has at Chelsea.

Yep, I referenced this on the latest podcast. Mo shouldn’t be leveraging the oil clubs in his demands, as we’re just not the same kind of club as them.

6 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Yep, I referenced this on the latest podcast. Mo shouldn’t be leveraging the oil clubs in his demands, as we’re just not the same kind of club as them.

United (our turnover and profits are almost identical now) have 6 players on more money than Mo. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Desperate mismanagement of a different club isn't a reason to give one of our players £400k a week.

There isn’t desperate mismanagement of the finances at United. The owners taking millions out of the club aside granted. 

However, we can afford to pay Mo a salary that would keep him. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

United (our turnover and profits are almost identical now) have 6 players on more money than Mo. 

That's because we're the best team in the world. Swap positions, and they'll be earning much more. They have 20k more seats at every home game for starters. 

7 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

That isn’t my point, as you know. 

We can afford to pay Mo £350k even £375k a week. It’s whether the owners want to or not. 

But it's a pertinent point all the same. They've thrown big money at players who havent won things and dont look capable of winning things.

Sure, Mo might look at that and think I deserve it. Ive said give him what he wants. van Dijk is our highest base earner with bonuses on top. We dont know but Mo's likely been offered £300k plus bonuses.

The question is, does he want to go to united on £400k and win fuck all for the rest of his career? Does he want to go to PSG on £600k a week and settle for 5 or 6 french Championat medals and no sniff at the CL and Balon D'Or?

Who knows? It's up to Mo and his agent works for him, not the other way round. Mo's calling the shots, his agent just acts on them.

50 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

There isn’t desperate mismanagement of the finances at United. The owners taking millions out of the club aside granted. 

However, we can afford to pay Mo a salary that would keep him. 

Paying Ronaldo £500k a week, Sancho £350k a week and Pogba £300k a week is desperate mismanagement throughout the whole process of identifying targets, buying them, and agreeing a contract.  I don't mind DeGea on £375k a week as much as he was the best goalkeeer in the world when he signed that contract, but it's still far too much for a goalie. That is mismanagement, especially for a very clearly over the hill Ronaldo.