You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

19 minutes ago, Boss said:

That's a lazy analysis, to be honest. All of the things you've said about them are the same without him, actually moreso. They either finish 8th without him or finish top 4 with him. I hope for the former, but it seems to have dawned on them that having the joint 2nd top scorer in the league upfront might actually compensate for their god awful defence.

Not happening and any management/ownership paying someone 500k a week that is not in the CL can be classed as morons.

5 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Fair enough. I fundamentally disagree with you but respect your right to be wrong. (They’re midfield is actually a bigger problem then their defence for starters) 

They have one good defender and one good midfielder. The fella with five Ballon d'Ors and 800 odd career goals is not really the problem here. 

4 minutes ago, Boss said:

They have one good defender and one good midfielder. The fella with five Ballon d'Ors and 800 odd career goals is not really the problem here. 

He is. He absolutely 100% is. It was the most predictable thing that he’d score goals but systematically ruin their play. 

At some point during this back and forth one of us is going to have to accuse the

other of being worse than Hitler. Just saying. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

He is. He absolutely 100% is. It was the most predictable thing that he’d score goals but systematically ruin their play. 

At some point during this back and forth one of us is going to have to accuse the

other of being worse than Hitler. Just saying. 

I can see what you're saying and respect it. My opinion will probably be an unpopular one. 

26 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

United score less and concede more this year than last. By about three times as much.

I sincerely hope Ronaldo stays around another year but I doubt it.

They're scoring less because Jurgen put a stop to them being gifted soft penalties nearly every other game.

14 hours ago, Boss said:

I think you have to look at the success of our own club to see why signing big money players who don't 'fit' into your system is the direct opposite of the right think to do. You make the team about the individual and that is all you create.

I think there's merit to both arguments. A waning, 37-year-old Ronaldo isn't far off being their best player, which is absolutely staggering given what they've spent on the rest of the squad. His presence also prevents any real future tactical planning or attacking player development, which is pretty hilarious. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I think there's merit to both arguments. A waning, 37-year-old Ronaldo isn't far off being their best player, which is absolutely staggering given what they've spent on the rest of the squad. His presence also prevents any real future tactical planning or attacking player development, which is pretty hilarious. 

Yes, they're shit enough that it hardly matters.

They're underachieving massively considering the money they have spent but not especially, in my opinion, for the squad they have. It's rubbish. They've wasted almost all of the money they've spent.

Lindelof, Bailly, Jones, Maguire, Pogba, Mata, Rashford, Lingard, Fred, Dalot, Shaw, Wan Bissaka, Telles, Matic, McTominay. This lot are either past it or never had it. They've got about five to seven players who would get anywhere near ours, City's or Chelsea's squad. When I hear pundits say that it's a good squad simply underachieving, or that they're not far away, etc, I just think it's utter nonsense.

They're shite, and they'll remain shite while there recruitment policy remains one of simply attempting to appear as if they're the biggest club in the world. Signings like Pogba, Sanchez, and Ronaldo, with no thought whatsoever as to where they're going to play, how it'll change the style, and of course if paying them twice their (relative) market value is going to lead to them barely trying.

It's magnificent.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

They only signed Ronaldo to appease the pitch invaders and match postponers. Serves the fuckers right.

the thing is manchester united are not a football club any more. they're just a business to help make their owners richer. success on the pitch is irrelevant, as long as they're kicking around top 4 and have loads of players who generate interest in the club and have a massive social media presence. the money the glazers have made since ferguson retired is astronomical and is why ewar woowar left under his own steam and not theirs. 

i feel sure how many instagram followers a footballer has is as important as any footballing ability or ability to be part of a team.  at some point they will strike lucky and get a coach who can get the best out of these types of players (not those two specifically), but in the mean time i would like to say i will enjoy the ride. but i have largely forgotten about them now. i completely forgot they were playing last night and caught the last 30 mins because i was flicking around station hopping and came across their match. i have a mate who supports them and we were texting yesterday and he said "our fa cup match is after the international break". it didn't register with me at frst he was taking the piss! 

22 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

the thing is manchester united are not a football club any more. they're just a business to help make their owners richer. success on the pitch is irrelevant,

Wait, so Glazers don't want to compete because they spend too much and FSG doesn't want to compete because they don't spend enough.

Who exactly does want to compete these days?

The thing with Ronaldo is that occasionally when the opposition suits, he will pad his goal stats but he is all about Ronaldo. 

Some of their players weren't good enough either last year but to be fair to Solskjaer he had those egos playing for each other and working hard to a system, which covered for the likes of Maguire, AWB, McTominay etc.

Now the so-called stars see Ronaldo and think that strolling and stropping is normal and successful behaviour. Their deficiencies in some of their less talented players have been exposed while the egos gets stroppier and stroll that bit more. 

Playing devil's advocate, Man United are nowhere near the top three, but shouldn't be anywhere near as ordinary as they are. Lots of their players are decent enough, but the whole club seems downcast and to be drifting. 

Does anybody think that squad with 2 or 3 newbies under a Klopp or Guardiola wouldn't be solid top 4 ? They need to go balls out to get the best manager they can or they will ( hopefully ) keep treading water.

• Upvote 1