You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

58 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

If it’s true he wants £500k a week then he’s got to go really. You can’t have him earning over twice the wages of Virgil and Alli and I doubt we’re interested in adding another £100k plus a week on to theirs wages. Fair enough make him our highest paid player, nobody can argue he’s worth it but it would just fuck with the squad harmony. I’d sooner we took any potential bank breaking wages and threw them at Kloppo.

Well he said recently he wasnt asking for crazy money so I dont think he's asking for half a million a week. I heard he was looking for parity or thereabouts with de bruyne who was said to be on £375k a week.

Id give Mo that yesterday but Im unhappy at the way his agent is dissing Jurgen, the club and fans with his laughing crying emoji's. Mo should tell him to fucking act professional at the least. Unless he's ok with that.

There's a story leaked Mo would 'now' be happy to stay in the PL with another club. That's quite a change from what he said a while ago but who's going to give him £400k+ a week in the PL? chelsea cant, arsenal, spurs, he'd rather go to either of those and win fuck all? united? Fucking well and truely burns his boat if he goes there. Same at city and Im not sure Guardiola gives him a start in every PL and CL game.

Comes down to what he wants besides money and Im starting to think he wants and is prepared to walk away.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Captain Howdy said:

No, they don’t, see Suarez, see Coutinho, see endless countless examples. It’s all one way traffic, contracts benefit only the player, if they suddenly decide they don’t like the contract they fuck off. The only plus for the club is protection from a Bosman

So you are saying 2 players who are perfectly happy with their lot, have deals they like and only recently signed, are settled with their families are about to throw their toys put of the pram and ask for a transfer because a player who's always earnt more than them is going to get a pay rise a year after they got a pay rise? And with all that, it would be pretty unlikely either could achieve significantly more than they earn here. I just don't buy it. 

Neither coutinho or Suarez left LFC because they were unhappy with what someone else was earning. They'd left because they reckoned Barcelona was better for their careers and families. One of them was right. The other was wrong. In both cases FSG were fucking delighted. I very much would think that's not their position here. They're unlikely to get his market value this summer because he has 12 months left - and possibly just one suitor who they'd sell to. And he'd be 30, so unlikely to be the highest of fees anyway.  Or then he'd leave for free in a year. 

Do you have any examples of players who've left football clubs because they were upset with another players wages? I can't think of 1. 

9 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Seems mad that Henderson almost forced a move because his contract wasn't long enough; yet we can't tie Salah down despite him supposedly loving the club, Klopp, Mighty Red etc.

I dont know about almost forcing a move and wasnt the club looking to pay Hendo less than his current deal and a shorter period so not about demanding a big increase?

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Well, the quote was that offer is on the table I believe.

Your position I assume is that FSG not willing to match that shows their lack of ambition?

I don't think that's what he's asking. There's nothing out there to suggest it. It's just pressure from his agent "this is what we could get, see we're not asking for too much". 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So you are saying 2 players who are perfectly happy with their lot, have deals they like and only recently signed, are settled with their families are about to throw their toys put of the pram and ask for a transfer because a player who's always earnt more than them is going to get a pay rise a year after they got a pay rise? And with all that, it would be pretty unlikely either could achieve significantly more than they earn here. I just don't buy it. 

Neither coutinho or Suarez left LFC because they were unhappy with what someone else was earning. They'd left because they reckoned Barcelona was better for their careers and families. One of them was right. The other was wrong. In both cases FSG were fucking delighted. I very much would think that's not their position here. They're unlikely to get his market value this summer because he has 12 months left - and possibly just one suitor who they'd sell to. And he'd be 30, so unlikely to be the highest of fees anyway.  Or then he'd leave for free in a year. 

Do you have any examples of players who've left football clubs because they were upset with another players wages? I can't think of 1. 

None of this counters my assertion that contracts are worthless. Re the first part I’m saying it’s a possibility yes, re the last part I don’t have any direct examples but if you don’t think uneven wages create poison in the dressing room I think you’re being naive. Look you detest FSG, I get it, I’m not their biggest fan tbh but I’m with them on this one and Salahs agent is very clearly a massive, massive twat, it does Salah no favours that he allows him to carry on like this.

• Downvote 1

@TheHowieLama just the elaborate on that last post of mine. It seems clear from what everyone is saying, Mo, his agent, klopp and all of the Twitter gang that Mo wants to stay. It would seem unlikely FSG don't want the same.

But it seems logical to me, like with any negotiation, you go into it with a number. Everyone does a job and maybe could get more elsewhere, but could have loads of reasons to stay. So he has a number. It doesn't have to match every single offer financially on the table, because there's more to the whole negotiation than just that. He mightn't want to move, he might want to make himself a genuine club legend. He might prefer the English league to French. He might want to be the main man, which he very much wouldn't be at psg. So PSG's €600k is a marker. Something to give gauge and his value. But as much as he might want to stay, he's still not going to think I'm going to let those billionaires in Boston get me on the cheap. I have my number to stay here and if they don't hit it, I use the offers that are on the table. I can't believe anyone on this forum over 30 years of age hasn't had to consider just this type of scenario in their careera, just not at the numbers on offer here. I don't even begin to think what's difficult to understand about it. 

• Upvote 2

The problem is that Mo's agent has insisted on conducting all contract talks via the medium of emojis. After weeks of confusion, bemusement and hermeneutic debate, FSG ended up having to hire the Professor of Emoji Studies from  SadFace University to act as an interpretor. The agent then accidentally pressed the Face with Thermometer Face when he meant to press the Face with Monocle Face, inbetween several other faces, and that wiped out December and January. John Henry, deeply traumatised by the whole affair, then retaliated by communicating only through a glove puppet. That is where we currently are.

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

When has he said he want that off LFC? He's just said that's what's on offer elsewhere and I'm sure it is. 

So by definition you are saying any deal he signs with us will be significantly below his "market value".

Further he will be doing it because of his love for Liverpool (or the Premier League - or Klopp or the lovely English weather or whatever outside factor).

8 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I said yesterday, I sincerely hope it get sorted and he stays. 

The second bit is key. I get he might want Neymar, Messi, Mbappe, KDB etc wages but for that wage, he needs to play for one of those clubs. Despite some key board protestations, we’re a super run club these days and don’t have a bottomless pit.

If we give Mo £600k p/w, what’s to stop Mane or Firmino (although not to that level) asking for huge rises? Or VVD, Alisson, Trent, Fabinho and our other world class players.

Its typical of some of the posters here, moaning about the wages we pay in the last accounts being to high and now for Mo, we’re not going high enough!

I’m sure our offer will I’ll likely be the best in the clubs history. If that’s not good enough, then I’m very sorry, thanks for the unreal memories and all the best. 

I genuinely think anybody wanting to leave this squad is genuinely bananas.

Yep. As I said earlier,Mo needs LFC a hell of a lot more than he or his agent believes. If he wants to stroll around at PSG then that's his choice but dont expect the same level of opposition or atmosphere about it. He is a great player but he is playing for a special club with a great manager while being paid handsomely for the privilege.

19 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

None of this counters my assertion that contracts are worthless. Re the first part I’m saying it’s a possibility yes, re the last part I don’t have any direct examples but if you don’t think uneven wages create poison in the dressing room I think you’re being naive. Look you detest FSG, I get it, I’m not their biggest fan tbh but I’m with them on this one and Salahs agent is very clearly a massive, massive twat, it does Salah no favours that he allows him to carry on like this.

If they were worthless, we wouldn't have got more than £200m for Suarez and coutinho. It is the very definition of worth. Suarez would have gone to arsenal. And there are countless other examples in football where players have been kept at clubs when they want to leave. In fact Harry Kane just this summer. Contracts are there to allow the clubs a bargaining chip when a players head is turned. If vvd and alisson believe they can double or triple their money elsewhere, I'm sure they'd already be gone and wouldn't have signed deals recently. From a financial point of view, Salah is in a completely different bracket to them just like all of the world's top goal scorers have for my entire lifetime. I don't know why anyone is shocked a player who is one of the best on the planet of doing the most important thing in football, wants a wage that is way ahead of everyone else. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

But it seems logical to me, like with any negotiation, you go into it with a number. 

Courtesy of the Upshot, I give you the genius of Peter Risdale:

Take the story of former Leeds United Chairman Peter Risdale courting striker Seth Johnson, for example. 

According to the Guardian:

Johnson had been earning £5,000 a week at Derby and his agent told him he wouldn't settle for less than £13,000 a week at Leeds.

Ridsdale's opening gambit, however, surprised them both.

"Right, I'm sorry, I can only offer you £30,000 a week," he said.

Around the table jaws dropped in genuine shock. "Oh, all right then," said Ridsdale, filling the silence, "£37,000."

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Again, if it came to it would you match it?

Probably not as that would make me a shit negotiator. He wants to stay. There is a value to that. There's a value to the exposure you get from playing for LFC rather than PSG with his off-field earnings. So there is a deal somewhere below what is on offer at PSG, but above whatever we offer now. I would struggle to believe if we were to give him a deal around what Kevin de bruyne earns, that we couldn't keep him. 

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

So by definition you are saying any deal he signs with us will be significantly below his "market value".

Further he will be doing it because of his love for Liverpool (or the Premier League - or Klopp or the lovely English weather or whatever outside factor).

As I've just put in a previous post, there is more to a market value than just the money on the table today. He gets premier League exposure. He gets exposure from playing for a team that is one of the best supported on the planet. All of that adds to his off field ability to earn. So LFC brings a value of wage + our exposure. 

This is all negotiating 101. 

• Upvote 1