You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

1 minute ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Give him a 50m (or whatever the extra wages amount to over the term of his contract) signing on fee & keep his wages the same. Easy. It’ll cost more than that to find a replacement. We need to keep him. 

Doesn't look like there's any desire on his part to stay. 

I'm rapidly losing the love I had for Salah.  Great player and I appreciate the huge part he's played in our success, but I can't be arsed with the stroppy face when he gets subbed, him barely looking up for better placed teammates/shooting instead and communicating via his agent.  He can take all of that crap elsewhere. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Paying Ronaldo £500k a week, Sancho £350k a week and Pogba £300k a week is desperate mismanagement throughout the whole process of identifying targets, buying them, and agreeing a contract.  I don't mind DeGea on £375k a week as much as he was the best goalkeeer in the world when he signed that contract, but it's still far too much for a goalie. That is mismanagement, especially for a very clearly over the hill Ronaldo.

Signing Renaldo was, Pogba was. Being able to afford those wages isn’t. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

Paying Ronaldo £500k a week, Sancho £350k a week and Pogba £300k a week is desperate mismanagement throughout the whole process of identifying targets, buying them, and agreeing a contract.  I don't mind DeGea on £375k a week as much as he was the best goalkeeer in the world when he signed that contract, but it's still far too much for a goalie. That is mismanagement, especially for a very clearly over the hill Ronaldo.

The thing is though, Manchester United clearly look at other things when making these contract offers, like the players appeal on social media etc. We may not like it, but it is part of the modern game. Man United's sponsors can exploit pogba and Ronaldo far more than they could say Rice and Bowen - which is what keeps their off-field commercial department achieving so much despite the limited success on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Pureblood said:

Doesn't look like there's any desire on his part to stay. 

I'm rapidly losing the love I had for Salah.  Great player and I appreciate the huge part he's played in our success, but I can't be arsed with the stroppy face when he gets subbed, him barely looking up for better placed teammates/shooting instead and communicating via his agent.  He can take all of that crap elsewhere. 

I don't mind players not wanting to come off and he puts a lot of pressure on himself to perform for the team so when he doesn't score he hates it. That's what makes him a winner. 

He's probably just got 3 seasons left in him so they'll make more money with him than without him. That will pay the extra he or more likely his agents demands. Can't see this all down to mo, his agent is supposed to be a bit of a cunt. 

18 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

The thing is though, Manchester United clearly look at other things when making these contract offers, like the players appeal on social media etc. We may not like it, but it is part of the modern game. Man United's sponsors can exploit pogba and Ronaldo far more than they could say Rice and Bowen - which is what keeps their off-field commercial department achieving so much despite the limited success on the pitch. 

We really narrowed the gap on them in those last accounts that came out though. They were only a few million ahead of us on turnover, yet somehow we were both £100m plus behind City.

I think United's lack of success is catching up with them financially. They're still loaded, but they can't continue as they are without some big impact on them. 

19 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

I disagree on Ronaldo. He's the only one that consistently bails them out. Juan Mata is on £160,000 a week, Dean Henderson £120,000, Phil Jones £120,000, that's £400,000 a week on players that have played 1 Premier League game all season between them. Add Van Der Beek as well and you've made up that £500,000 with pure wastrels that offer nothing. 

Their problem is more Maguire, Shaw, Wan Bissaka, Fred, Van Der Beek and Pogba than Ronaldo. That's £340m on shite. All of which are liabilities on the field.

I kind of hoped he'd have to miss this game, he hasn't been as sharp since the AFCON and he seems to be forcing runs that aren't on as if he's desperate to find his form again. There were a lot of tough matches that went to extra time and he came straight back into the team the second he got back and our fixture list has been pretty congested since then too. Missing this and the Forest game would have given him a decent break to recharge the batteries in time for the final sprint when the big games start coming. 

I know he's a great player, and he's healthy as fuck but he's still human.

3 hours ago, dave u said:

We really narrowed the gap on them in those last accounts that came out though. They were only a few million ahead of us on turnover, yet somehow we were both £100m plus behind City.

I think United's lack of success is catching up with them financially. They're still loaded, but they can't continue as they are without some big impact on them. 

It's easy how city do it. They have sponsorship deals with companies that don't exist. They've just had to drop one crypto company and by the looks of things this new company is another fake. They've even made marketing literature selling crypto futures which are illegal in this country. 

5 hours ago, Boss said:

I disagree on Ronaldo. He's the only one that consistently bails them out. Juan Mata is on £160,000 a week, Dean Henderson £120,000, Phil Jones £120,000, that's £400,000 a week on players that have played 1 Premier League game all season between them. Add Van Der Beek as well and you've made up that £500,000 with pure wastrels that offer nothing. 

Their problem is more Maguire, Shaw, Wan Bissaka, Fred, Van Der Beek and Pogba than Ronaldo. That's £340m on shite. All of which are liabilities on the field.

Ronaldo bails them out (on occasion, 1 goal in 10 games prior to his hat trick) of holes created by literally having him in the team. His presence makes their play insipid, slow, lacking in thought, speed, agility and creativity. He’s a luxury player in a team that doesn’t have the talent to carry such a commodity, and a league that brutally exposes it. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

Ronaldo bails them out (on occasion, 1 goal in 10 games prior to his hat trick) of holes created by literally having him in the team. His presence makes their play insipid, slow, lacking in thought, speed, agility and creativity. He’s a luxury player in a team that doesn’t have the talent to carry such a commodity, and a league that brutally exposes it. 

That's a lazy analysis, to be honest. All of the things you've said about them are the same without him, actually moreso. They either finish 8th without him or finish top 4 with him. I hope for the former, but it seems to have dawned on them that having the joint 2nd top scorer in the league upfront might actually compensate for their god awful defence.

15 minutes ago, Boss said:

That's a lazy analysis, to be honest. All of the things you've said about them are the same without him, actually moreso. They either finish 8th without him or finish top 4 with him. I hope for the former, but it seems to have dawned on them that having the joint 2nd top scorer in the league upfront might actually compensate for their god awful defence.

Fair enough. I fundamentally disagree with you but respect your right to be wrong. (They’re midfield is actually a bigger problem then their defence for starters)