You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

On 27/03/2022 at 13:11, dockers_strike said:

Mo needs to take a leaf out of Aldo's book where, on going to sign for Liverpool, told his agent to stay away because he didnt want any bollocks interfering with his signing. Mo should tell his agent to do one especially in light of dissing Jurgen with that condescending tweet.

It's a nice idea, but Mo wasn't born in Garston and didn't support us as a kid, and that made a massive difference when it came to the Aldo signing, who's ties to the club were deep-rooted from birth. Agents have way more sway now than they did back in 1987 as well. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

We can easily afford to go up to £350/375k a week. It’ll depend on if the owners want to pay it or not. 

James Pearce was talking on a podcast about how he would go up to 300k but any higher risked breaking our wage structure. He went on to talk about all the players would be lining up to renegotiate contracts. I dont know if this is just his opinion or whether he knows this is roughly around what we are offering. If it is, its all a bit depressing. You can see why Salah would want to be off if players like Grealish are earning the same and many others in the league earning more.

1 hour ago, John102 said:

James Pearce was talking on a podcast about how he would go up to 300k but any higher risked breaking our wage structure. He went on to talk about all the players would be lining up to renegotiate contracts. I dont know if this is just his opinion or whether he knows this is roughly around what we are offering. If it is, its all a bit depressing. You can see why Salah would want to be off if players like Grealish are earning the same and many others in the league earning more.

I don’t buy this ‘smashing the wage structure argument’. Who is going to come forward and argue a new contract? 

Salah is arguably the best player in world football, VVD and Alisson have both recently signed new contracts, Mane hasn’t produced anywhere near as consistently as he was previously and Bobby ain’t going to try to argue for that kind of money. 

The club can afford him and a carefully assembled squad of top pro’s aren’t going to turn into a bunch of money grabbing cunts because one of the best players in the world wants to at least be one of the best players in his own league. 

Parity with the likes of Jack Grealish and Jude Bellingham for fucks sake. 

It’s not unreasonable and we can afford it. 

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I don’t buy this ‘smashing the wage structure argument’. Who is going to come forward and argue a new contract? 

Salah is arguably the best player in world football, VVD and Alisson have both recently signed new contracts, Mane hasn’t produced anywhere near as consistently as he was previously and Bobby ain’t going to try to argue for that kind of money. 

The club can afford him and a carefully assembled squad of top pro’s aren’t going to turn into a bunch of money grabbing cunts because one of the best players in the world wants to at least be one of the best players in his own league. 

Parity with the likes of Jack Grealish and Jude Bellingham for fucks sake. 

It’s not unreasonable and we can afford it. 

You are talking about the players themselves but they are steered by their agents. It would be a dangerous precedent to set.

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

Parity with the likes of........ Jude Bellingham for fucks sake. 

Bellingham aint coming here if he's on or want over 300 grand a week.

I mean what have Sancho, reputed to be on 350 grand a week at the mancs and bellingham achieved in football to warrant that? Fuck all.

I desparately want Mo to stay but I dont think looking at other clubs largesse should be used as our yardstick.

I'm with Lifey and SD on this.

The only reason for Mo to be treated as a special case is that he is a special case, footballers have eyes and I can't see that raising any resentment in the squad.

I'm also sure it is within the wit and wisdom of our negotiators to find ways to not put all of any increase straight onto his base salary anyway.

• Upvote 3

Just now, dockers_strike said:

I desparately want Mo to stay but I dont think looking at other clubs largesse should be used as our yardstick.

Quite. 

Just because other clubs grossly mismanage their finances doesn’t mean we should.

”Best offer in the history of LFC” should be more than enough for any player.

I like the narrative has already started about the owners. Yawn.  

I love Mo. I genuinely want him to stay and this get sorted. I don’t think a club that has scored 115 goals this season before March (2.5 per game) and is on course for close to 150 goals, can say they rely on 1 player heavily enough that, that number would drop considerably. 

We’re a well oiled machine all over the pitch these days and aren’t reliant on the individual brilliance, of say Suarez. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

The only reason for Mo to be treated as a special case is that he is a special case, footballers have eyes and I can't see that raising any resentment in the squad.

I'm also sure it is within the wit and wisdom of our negotiators to find ways to not put all of any increase straight onto his base salary anyway.

I think most of the team know Mo is the main man. Whether he was joking or not, Virgil even said it when he came back to training in one of the videos. 

A quick look around shows that Bayern, Barca, Real, PSG, City, Chelsea, Man Utd all pay players more than 300k a week. If we cant finance that then fair enough.

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Having no knowledge whatsoever about the negotiations I can state as fact that our current offer is more than 300k.

To be honest, i assumed it was and maybe it is. I was just surprised today to hear James Pearce talking about 300-350k. I assumed we where looking at closer to 400 but who knows. 

29 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Why won't every other player then use that as a baseline for future negotiations, it's not about players wanting to exceed Salah's new wage it's about filling the gap below it.

19 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Having no knowledge whatsoever about the negotiations I can state as fact that our current offer is more than 300k.

From what I remember we pay heavily incentivised contracts so that the basic wage is lower but win on a consistent basis and you are probably on par with some of the biggest earners around.

Maybe the issue is raising the incentives and not the basic wage. Maybe he is asking to double his appearance, goal,or win and assist bonuses.

Its all conjecture at the moment, he may sign, he may not. He is one of the best in the world currently, if not the best. Would I be disappointed if he left, hell yeah, but at this time I would rather loose him on a free in 15 months time after milking another season out of him than for 100m this coming season.

I dont see anyone out there that can replicate what Mo does. At least it would Give us another year to do some succession planning.

34 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

From what I remember we pay heavily incentivised contracts so that the basic wage is lower but win on a consistent basis and you are probably on par with some of the biggest earners around.

Maybe the issue is raising the incentives and not the basic wage. Maybe he is asking to double his appearance, goal,or win and assist bonuses.

Its all conjecture at the moment, he may sign, he may not. He is one of the best in the world currently, if not the best. Would I be disappointed if he left, hell yeah, but at this time I would rather loose him on a free in 15 months time after milking another season out of him than for 100m this coming season.

I dont see anyone out there that can replicate what Mo does. At least it would Give us another year to do some succession planning.

Agreed. 

Not sure about the “Nobody does what Mo does” line though. We’re great for Mo, Mo is great for us. There are lots of good wide players who cut inside these days. As I mentioned earlier, we’re going to score between 115 - c.150 goals this season, we aren’t reliant on Mo.

It's impossible to say how much of Salah's success is down to Klopp/the club. Same with Mané, same with Jota. 

I doubt the club believes he's irreplaceable, but at the same time, they'd rather he renews because he's a  sure thing.

There's probably a stats thing where we can buy a player or two and with a full season from Diaz, that shows we could on paper replace his production.

4 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Although supporters tend to judge wage increases on a per week basis, and per week increases seem a lot more palatable, when you get to per year and per contract the costs can spiral (a player on a base wage of 300k increasing to 375k means a 19.5 million increase in investment from 78 mill to 97.5mill over the course of a contract for example).

Using figures from LFC Globe on players base salaries (accuracy isn't massively important as it's illustrative) let's be generous and double Salah's salary from £200,000 to £400,000 and be really stingy with everyone else in comparison and give them a 25% wage increase on the assumption that everyone needs a new contract right away. We'd need to find an additional £78.5mill a year in wages (basic, before factoring image rights bonuses etc etc).

The counter to that is not all players need a new contract immediately but if you don't think even some of those with new contracts won't be looking for a new deal in the next 2.5 years then you're kidding yourselves and at that point all the top earners, plus any new big signings, are going to want to close the gap on whatever that new ceiling is and the squad players will be looking to fall in line below that.

I imagine the concerns for the club are 

1. how far into a 5 year deal does Salah's contract outweigh his output (Ronaldo and Messi are fading at 37 and 34, Salah will be coming up to 31 at the end of his current deal)
  2. What is the future impact on wages and can they sufficiently increase the turnover in line with the wages not just for Salah but the projected increases for existing players and with future squad building in mind.
  • Upvote 1