You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Playing devil's advocate, Man United are nowhere near the top three, but shouldn't be anywhere near as ordinary as they are. Lots of their players are decent enough, but the whole club seems downcast and to be drifting. 

Does anybody think that squad with 2 or 3 newbies under a Klopp or Guardiola wouldn't be solid top 4 ? They need to go balls out to get the best manager they can or they will ( hopefully ) keep treading water.

No. I think their squad is dire and they are in a perpetual state of denial about it. They need to ship out Henderson, Shaw, Lindelof, Bailly, Jones, Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Fred, Pogba, Lingard, Mata and Martial at the bare minimum. They need a complete reset of personality and personnel. Instead of focusing on us and City, they'd be better off looking at what Arteta's doing with Arsenal for inspiration.

4 hours ago, sir roger said:

Playing devil's advocate, Man United are nowhere near the top three, but shouldn't be anywhere near as ordinary as they are. Lots of their players are decent enough, but the whole club seems downcast and to be drifting. 

Does anybody think that squad with 2 or 3 newbies under a Klopp or Guardiola wouldn't be solid top 4 ? They need to go balls out to get the best manager they can or they will ( hopefully ) keep treading water.

Yes, I think it would help having a manager and sticking with them, like Arsenal have done with Arteta.  Some of the appointments they've made have been bizarre.  Moyes, Solskjaer, Rangnick... Why?  They've wasted years pissing about and flip-flopping from one bad decision to another.  The two managers they hired who actually had some pedigree won them some trophies, even though they themselves weren't a good fit. 

12 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

Yes, I think it would help having a manager and sticking with them, like Arsenal have done with Arteta.  Some of the appointments they've made have been bizarre.  Moyes, Solskjaer, Rangnick... Why?  They've wasted years pissing about and flip-flopping from one bad decision to another.  The two managers they hired who actually had some pedigree won them some trophies, even though they themselves weren't a good fit. 

Their problem is that there's no connection between the managers they get and the people above them. If you look at us and City, the relationships between Klopp and Mike Gordon/Michael Edwards, and Pep and Txixi Bergistan, or whatever his name is, and that other one Soriano, are fantastic. There's total support.

United didn't even have anyone in a director of football role or a role similar to that, until last season and then they had that idiot Woodward as CEO. They've been totally behind on how big clubs operate in football since Ferguson left.

As you say, the managers with pedigree that they've had won a couple trophies there, just doing things their way, but after that, there's no support.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Boss said:

No. I think their squad is dire and they are in a perpetual state of denial about it. They need to ship out Henderson, Shaw, Lindelof, Bailly, Jones, Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Fred, Pogba, Lingard, Mata and Martial at the bare minimum. They need a complete reset of personality and personnel. Instead of focusing on us and City, they'd be better off looking at what Arteta's doing with Arsenal for inspiration.

I'd be very surprised if Jurgen couldn't get a tune out of Henderson, Shaw, Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Pogba and Martial, and some of the others could do as squad fillers.

40 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Their problem is that there's no connection between the managers they get and the people above them. If you look at us and City, the relationships between Klopp and Mike Gordon/Michael Edwards, and Pep and Txixi Bergistan, or whatever his name is, and that other one Soriano, are fantastic. There's total support.

United didn't even have anyone in a director of football role or a role similar to that, until last season and then they had that idiot Woodward as CEO. They've been totally behind on how big clubs operate in football since Ferguson left.

As you say, the managers with pedigree that they've had won a couple trophies there, just doing things their way, but after that, there's no support.

Long may it continue.
They’re the only other club with a pedigree and history of winning comparable to ours, but they do have more cash, and that’s always going to be dangerous if (when?) they get their shit together.

Other clubs tend to blow in, shine for a while, then crash and burn.

Hopefully that’s what’s happening at Chelsea, and what will happen at City if the Premier League have the balls to take them on and Newcastle too.

32 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I'd be very surprised if Jurgen couldn't get a tune out of Henderson, Shaw, Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Pogba and Martial, and some of the others could do as squad fillers.

Jurgen would get rid of them. There's no way he would build a team around the likes of Maguire and Pogba. They're the antithesis of everything he looks for in a player. 

2 minutes ago, Boss said:

Jurgen would get rid of them. There's no way he would build a team around the likes of Maguire and Pogba. They're the antithesis of everything he looks for in a player. 

Klopp would get loads out of Pogba. Conte and Deschamps had him playing for the team. He's just one of those that you need to motivate and he doesn't do it himself but Klopp is a manager that could easily do that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, sir roger said:

They have loads of good players and loads of ordinary ones and loads of shit ones. They don't have too many players though who you'd think of as being one of the best in their positions in world football. But they have some who could maybe be that with the right environment - de gea was once one, Fernandez could be one, pogba has his moments, if you believe people who watch German footy Sancho is brilliant. But while they continue to select new players with as much attention to their Instagram followers to their ability at football, I don't think it matters too much who coaches them. I don't think it would take massive leap to get 4th more securely than they're making it look this year because OGS is shite and I've never got the excitement around ragnick. They will likely find a better manager than either of those this summer. 

• 2 weeks later...

The sentimentality thing could be a non issue, to be honest.

He's got the chance to win between 7 and 10 trophies before his contract is up. I've got no idea what kind of records he can break in that time too, but there will be a few.

8 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

If he leaves he leaves. I've got total faith that Klopp will get the right replacement in if it happens.  

If Mo does go then more fool him. 

That's exactly were I am on this,  Klopp and the backroom team will get it right .

Quite simple.we have made our best offer without protracted negotiations as benefits his status as a top 3 player in world. He is entitled to look around for other offers weigh them up financially and from a footballing perspective. Then make a decision. 

Looking around most free transfers of the last couple of years have not been an success for players concerned. Unlike others  I do not believe this is his last big contract. He could sign a three year extension now be wildly successful in a team basically set up to his strengths, leave and get paid obscene wages for a couple of years in the French or Italian leagues and play until he 35 or 36. Although I am not a professional athlete I know that playing and winning is way more enjoyable than playing and taking part and there is little difference relatively speaking between earning 400k and 500k per week. In conclusion I think he will stay . 

Mo needs to take a leaf out of Aldo's book where, on going to sign for Liverpool, told his agent to stay away because he didnt want any bollocks interfering with his signing. Mo should tell his agent to do one especially in light of dissing Jurgen with that condescending tweet.

I want Mo to stay and Ive said give him what he wants. If others in the squad say they want a big rise because Mo's got one, you say no.

At the same time, I gather the club are happy to make Mo the highest paid player at the club even if it isnt as much as Mo wants. He needs to realise, if he doesnt already, that Klopp and the club turned him into the player he is. Would he have the recognition he has today if he'd stayed at Roma?

I didnt see real or Barcelona sniffing around him in Serie A even though his scoring record was very good. He's not seen at the number 1 target for Real or Barcelona even now, he's behind Mbappe who isnt too shabby and Haaland who I think is a bit over hyped. Neither of those teams will be set up for Mo's style of play.

Juve are talking about offering him 10m a year, not sure if that's euros or pounds. Does he really want to go back to Italy?

To be honest, this talk that Mo would be 'happy to stay in the PL with another club' is going to start turning people off Mo if it gets aired again in this contract stand off. No one is bigger than the club.

• Upvote 1

Salah is arguably the world's best player at present (he's certainly in the conversation for being it) But the question is is it worth breaking (and if so by just how much) the wage structure for him....If he potentially starts to earn a lot more than the likes of VVD and Allison (players who are every bit as important as Salah) that will potentially open a can of worms if they then ask for the gap to be closed or parity.... 

Any new really top drawer players we may want to bring in will be then probably after a similar wage too.

I'm pretty sure we can afford to pay one player 400K a week (just a figure off top of head) but seems to be sort of figure we may be looking at when people say 'give Salah what he wants' - but the question is should we?

For me you have to look at the likely knock on effects.

You look at what the mancs for example will have to pay when it is time to renew Fernandes' contract because of the money other players are on there, do we want to get into same position?....Of course the money our rivals pay their best players also has a knock on effect on what our best players will want, especially with their greedy demanding agents in their ears....and we of course have to be competitive - but where is the line?

If you smash the wage structure for Salah then it's going to affect the figures that others will demand when it comes to their time to sign new deals - even if all they will be asking for is to keep the gap same as it was....Say for example we agreed with Salah now a new deal for 350k a week and then try to renew Mane next year on maybe half of that - how is that likely to go down?

You push Salah up to a level that dwarfs everyone else and you will be potentially opening up problems with everyone else wanting more - not necessarily parity of course (although 1 or 2 may feel they should get it) but certainly more so the gap is not getting bigger...

Those in charge will have come up with a number that’s representative of the status Salah has in the game, his potential contribution over the next few years, the current status of the squad succession plan, a recognition of past achievements and his commercial value as a Liverpool player. 

Whilst there will always be some wriggle room, going too far beyond this number will likely bring more longer term problems for Liverpool than the short term advantages getting him to sign might provide. 

I don’t think he’s any chance of getting what he wants (reportedly) from Liverpool. I do think he’ll eventually sign at a number close to what’s currently being offered. If he doesn’t, well I’ll say thanks for the memories Mo and good luck with whatever you choose to do next.

Unless he goes to one of the mega rich Premier League clubs. In that case he can fuck right off. 

• Upvote 2

That agent of his really is a prick and I’d suggest after the emoji shit, not very good at his job. I (and most others?) was leaning heavily towards “just pay the man”, but now people are almost happy to see him leave. 

If he stays, great. If he’s dead set on refusing the offer and going elsewhere, then try and get a fee for him this summer from a team on the continent. We don’t need all this hanging over us for the next 18 months. 

• Upvote 2

Ah, this explains the contract stalemate - it was racism all along:

“Salah has to realise that he is African, so they will not treat him like the Europeans, and they will not give him the best contract like the others, the same thing happened to me when I was at Liverpool, they told me not to go to my country to play with my national team.

(We obviously told him to not bother playing for us as well).

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2022/03/29/liverpool-flop-claims-some-reds-stars-receive-preferential-treatment-over-salah-after-weighing-in-on-potential-real-madrid-move/

Mo's already been our top earner and has only been surpassed by van Dijk because he signed a new contract. The club are allegedly happy to make Mo the club's highest earner with his new contract if he signs it.

Im presuming the shithead going on about 'racism' is that former centre forward who didnt find the back of the net once in a season? Fucking tool.

9 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Mo's already been our top earner and has only been surpassed by van Dijk because he signed a new contract. The club are allegedly happy to make Mo the club's highest earner with his new contract if he signs it.

Im presuming the shithead going on about 'racism' is that former centre forward who didnt find the back of the net once in a season? Fucking tool.

It certainly is mate, an embarrassment that cunt ever played for us! Useless pretty much from day 1, glad to see the back of him when we finally binned him off.

As much of a cunt as Anelka is and was, 20 years down the line I'm still baffled as to why we signed spitty instead of Anelka.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

It certainly is mate, an embarrassment that cunt ever played for us! Useless pretty much from day 1, glad to see the back of him when we finally binned him off.

As much of a cunt as Anelka is and was, 20 years down the line I'm still baffled as to why we signed spitty instead of Anelka.

Because Houllier made a decent cut out of that deal via his brother in law. I thought that was common knowledge?