You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

I watched a few videos before he came here and i think this could be one of the first times youtube has actually undersold a player. At no point did it look like he had this passing ability. He was an absolute bargain. What a good window January was.

Haha that's spot on, they were the most underwhelming youtube vids ever.

His vision and ability to execute the passes in those situations really has been brilliant so far. Look a fucking mystery Inter let him go as cheaply as they did.

An even bigger mystery is why Spurs/Arsenal/Chelsea didn't come in for him. How did we manage to get the inside track on a very good young player for a low price without arousing the interest of every other English club and turning it into a bidding war we'd never win?

And, more importantly, how can we do it again in the summer?

An even bigger mystery is why Spurs/Arsenal/Chelsea didn't come in for him. How did we manage to get the inside track on a very good young player for a low price without arousing the interest of every other English club and turning it into a bidding war we'd never win?

And, more importantly, how can we do it again in the summer?

I couldn't believe it when before anything was even known of our interest a couple of weeks earlier he was being linked with Villa and Southampton, he is an absolutely fantastic talent and I'm pleased we've got him

You hear the raving about Welbeck each and every time he sets foot on the pitch, yet on Sunday when Coutinho played that defence-splitting pass to Henderson, the first thing the fucking commentator could say on Coutinho after that was 'well, he still has a lot of work to do on the defensive side of his game, but....' and then eventually got to mentioning it was a decent pass.

Fucking staggering. Oscar at Chelsea looks a player, but how much did they pay for him? As I think he gets to ride on the coat tails of Mata and Hazard a bit, but for end product I think that Phillipe has shown as much, if not more already. Looks a great buy at this stage.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ShoePiss

Said in the match thread the derby next week is a big test for him, not that a quiet performance means too much at this stage in his career but if he can show a little of what he did today I'll be made up with him.

The through balls he successfully completes are sublime, he's exactly the type of player we need even if it's not going to work every time.

Only 20 to, Home World Cup for him just over a year from now, he could be the star of it for Brazil after tearing it up for us next season.

A shrewd point, well made.

It is also significant that without one player as the focal point we had to consider more options- and scored more goals.

Coutinho had impressed me from what little I had seen of him before he joined us, he is coming of agr now. He reminds me of Ardiles when he first came over.