You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"He's having a holocaust"

chauncey

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My money is on three posts until the next irrelevant definition of the word is posted.

If there is an angry mob, it isn't on here. If there's moral outrage, I'm yet to see it on here. Most people seem to just be of the opinion that it was a fucking stupid thing to say, which it was.

He's having a potato famine.

You're quite stupid. You prove it regularly.

Equating "potato famine" as a pejorative term with "holocaust", is simply more evidence of that.

You're about a tenth as clever as you think you are, and half as shocking.

In many ways, you're a bit like a really shit, fucking retarded version of me, and that doesn't reflect well on either of us, you cunt.

Don't see what the fuss is about myself. It seems that use of the word "holocaust" or "nazi" is now a sackable offence- bizarre. Fair enough, if he'd said it with regards to a jewish person it might be deemed offensive, but in this case it seems to have nothing to do with Jews. Perhaps these words should be removed from the dictionary and people should have to apply for a special permit from the Ministry of Special Words to use them?

Don't see what the fuss is about myself. It seems that use of the word "holocaust" or "nazi" is now a sackable offence- bizarre. Fair enough, if he'd said it with regards to a jewish person it might be deemed offensive, but in this case it seems to have nothing to do with Jews. Perhaps these words should be removed from the dictionary and people should have to apply for a special permit from the Ministry of Special Words to use them?

Likening a football performance to mass genocide is not cool mmkay?

Likening a football performance to mass genocide is not cool mmkay?

So lets take the word holocaust out of the dictionary, right? Because there can only be "The Holocaust", not a holocaust.

Incidentally, can you suggest another use of the word holocaust other than when referring to The Holocaust that would be acceptable in your eyes? I read a fiction novel the other day where the word holocaust was used in reference to an explosion followed by burning- do you think this book should be banned and all copies burned?

I don't believe Cascarino (even if he is a dick) meant it in terms of the murder of millions of Jews. I just think people are getting hypersensitive about it. As I said, if he'd said it about someone with Jewish connections or even about Spurs with their Jewish links I could see why people might be upset. This is not the case here; it just seems the word holocaust can no longer be used.

It's the equivalent of saying something like "a 'hillsborough' of a performance." In 2050

It's very insensitive and tactless. I don't think he meant to cause offence but he likened a shoddy defensive display to the holocust.

HOLOCAUST for fucks sake!!

But that is just it it is nothing like that people think that the word means the Nazis extermination of the Jews

but i would suggest that people look for the definition of the word Holocaust it's like saying genocide it is a descriptive word for an act and isnt just owned by what happened between 1939 - 1945 in Europe

The man is a tit what he said made not much sense it was as if he was looking for another word instead of nightmare that would imply much worse than that but as i say he is a tit and chose the wrong one and that is it forget it and move on let the Mary Whitehouse brigade do there own thing but he shouldnt lose his job over something like this

It would be only like your example if he used terms like Auschwitz or Trablinka of a game and then he would be guilty of what people are accusing him of

You're possibly dim enough to not enjoy the delicious irony of your post.

I say "possibly".

Definitely. Certainly. Obviously. Indubitably.

All better, more apposite words.

Cool beans.

I am sure you are an expert of the hegemonic discourse in Germany concerning the Holocaust and how to deal with its memory. Like that time when you claimed to know a lot about newspapers and publishing. And then I showed in a few sentences that you did not know a lot.

I say "not a lot".

Fuck all, nada, zilch, nuffinks would probably be closer to what I mean. But then again English is only my secondary language.