You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"He's having a holocaust"

chauncey

[YOUTUBE]8FUdbRO4ZCo[/YOUTUBE]

The football pundit Tony Cascarino has sparked outrage by describing a player as having a "holocaust" of a game. Cascarino made the comment on Sky Sports News during Manchester United's match against Arsenal, which saw the north London team beaten 8-2.

Discussing the defender Armand Traoré's performance on the pitch, Cascarino said: "Poor Traoré at right-back is having a holocaust because he's finding himself against [united winger] Nani, who's literally running him from everywhere and [Arsenal midfielder Andrey] Arshavin's just not tracking his runners."

Angry fans immediately responded to his comment on Twitter. One wrote: "Tony Cascarino should be sacked on the spot. He said an Arsenal defender was having a 'holocaust'. Appallingly ignorant."

Another social networker added: "I can't believe he said that! ". Another observed: "Looks like Tony Cascarino could be the next ex-pro on the persona non-gratis [sic] list after that on air comment."

A clip of the incident, broadcast during the Old Trafford match, quickly appeared on YouTube.

Another micro-blogger branded the comment "horrendous", adding: "I hope Tony Cascarino is dealt with appropriately."

Sky Sports News said the presenter Natalie Sawyer had apologised straightaway for Cascarino's remarks.

It said in a statement: "Tony Cascarino made his comments in the heat of the moment. An immediate apology on behalf of Tony and Sky Sports was made on air as soon as possible for any offence caused."

As well as being a Sky Sports pundit the 48-year-old former Chelsea and Republic of Ireland striker has written for The Times and presented for talksport radio.

Arsenal 'holocaust' comment lands Tony Cascarino in hot water | Football | guardian.co.uk

Should he be sacked for this? Personally I think he should be holocausted, just like Pardew was forced to have sex with men for this comment.

Love how Natalie Sawyer actually apologizes to Cascarno for having to apologize for Cascarino. These things are always a risk when an organisation insists on giving microphones to ignorant people.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what sort of a comment is that?

I can understand Pardew saying rape as a slip of the tongue etc as its used quite regularly in society but who the fucks says having a holocaust instead of nightmare or shocker etc

Yep, it's a really odd turn of phrase to describe a sporting performance.

I think people are to sensetive its lits a bit like the monty python clip in the life of brian where they are getting ready for the stoning where john clease gets hit by a brick and shouts who through that and they all point at the thrower

I feel like people are just waiting to be more outraged than ever before by what someone on TV has said when in fact what has been said makes no real sense let alone upset people

I would love to know who was actually offended by what he said and why they where so offended when in fact using the word Holocaust ensures that new generations may ask what it means

People complain that football punditry is bland and cliched but as this shows, when ex-pros go off piste things can get a little holocausty and rapey so it's best for all concerned (well, for Twitter and the PC Brigade at least) that the old boys stick to the stock phrases.

I didn't think it was *that* bad. If he'd had said "Traore is having THE Holocaust" or "He is having a Katrina out there" then fair enough. If anything I'm impressed he managed all those syllables.

I think people are to sensetive its lits a bit like the monty python clip in the life of brian where they are getting ready for the stoning where john clease gets hit by a brick and shouts who through that and they all point at the thrower

I feel like people are just waiting to be more outraged than ever before by what someone on TV has said when in fact what has been said makes no real sense let alone upset people

I would love to know who was actually offended by what he said and why they where so offended when in fact using the word Holocaust ensures that new generations may ask what it means

It's the equivalent of saying something like "a 'hillsborough' of a performance." In 2050

It's very insensitive and tactless. I don't think he meant to cause offence but he likened a shoddy defensive display to the holocust.

HOLOCAUST for fucks sake!!

He should be sacked. He gets paid an obscene amount of money to spout uneducated shite on the tv. He could have used another example like "he's having a terrible game, it's like he's some 15 year old girl who's been gang raped bt some big black men and now she has to face them in court over the allegations. Yeah every time nani runs at him down the wing his face looks just like that 15 year old slag. She was probably asking for it anyway. Slags, theyre all fucking Slags and then they take you to the fuckin cleaners and you never see your kids again"

So do we hang him, castrate him, extract his fingernails?

Or accept it was a stupid mistake and move on.

Depends on public pressure.

Would I sack him?

Well, Sky set a precedent when they sacked Keys and Gray over offensive comments to women, so it's up to them to decide if this is worse.

Could go either way for me.

Unless he was specifically referring to the Jewish Holocaust then the word holocaust was apt. It simply means complete destruction

Correct, however, Tony is too fucking thick to know the real meaning or origins of the word, not since the 60's (ish) has the word been used in it's literal sense, but only as a description of the slaughter of innocent jews at the hands of a retarded nazi.

The comment was un-called for and shows a distinct lack of taste or brains from yet another Sky "pundit".

It's just a word. That happens to be widely misused since it was (dare I say) appropriated to refer to one specific (and hugely significant) historical event or period. That said, I doubt Cascarino is aware of this and probably uses the term in the specific historical sense. So, I vote for a sacking. Because he's an arsehole...

Correct, however, Tony is too fucking thick to know the real meaning or origins of the word, not since the 60's (ish) has the word been used in it's literal sense, but only as a description of the slaughter of innocent jews at the hands of a retarded nazi.

The comment was un-called for and shows a distinct lack of taste or brains from yet another Sky "pundit".

Beat me to it! Forgot to update page...