You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"He's having a holocaust"

chauncey

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It's the same sort of ignorance that led to people on TV saying they 'got raped'. It's not really about rape, or the Holocaust; it's about words with complex connotations, which people don't really understand, being used to represent something overly simple. Rape, Holocaust, suicide = bad; Epic, amazing, awesome = good. It's a Neanderthal approach to English.

It's the same sort of ignorance that led to people on TV saying they 'got raped'. It's not really about rape, or the Holocaust; it's about words with complex connotations, which people don't really understand, being used to represent something overly simple. Rape, Holocaust, suicide = bad; Epic, amazing, awesome = good. It's a Neanderthal approach to English.

Yep.

But at least he didn't throw in a "literally" to top things off.

You're right on one count, your puns were stupid. They were also in poor taste. It's your prerogative of course; have a laugh at whatever you find funny.

Sense Of Humour Failure, get a life you miserable person (in case you take offence at me calling you man!) Have to go now as im in the middle of drating a letter to the council to stop next door putting the Xmas deccies out as im a Jehovah and think its really insensitive of them to do this, the insensitive bastards. Im PC me and proud of it, only on a forum tho, im not with my mates as we have a laugh together.

Sense Of Humour Failure, get a life you miserable person (in case you take offence at me calling you man!) Have to go now as im in the middle of drating a letter to the council to stop next door putting the Xmas deccies out as im a Jehovah and think its really insensitive of them to do this, the insensitive bastards. Im PC me and proud of it, only on a forum tho, im not with my mates as we have a laugh together.

If a sense of humour failure consists of finding jokes about concentration camps in bad taste then, yep, put me down, I have a sense of humour failure.

How about he just admits it was insenstive but unintentional and we (society) all move on.

Also, the word 'holocaust' doesn't mean the slaughter of the Jews by Adolf. It was coined long before that and means a large amount of destruction and death, particular if caused by fire (hence nuclear holocaust). It comes from the Latin 'holocaustum' which means 'burned offering'.

The Jews just decided to call what Adolf did 'The Holocaust' but don't let that spoil anyones moral outrage.

How about he just admits it was insenstive but unintentional and we (society) all move on.

Also, the word 'holocaust' doesn't mean the slaughter of the Jews by Adolf. It was coined long before that and means a large amount of destruction and death, particular if caused by fire (hence nuclear holocaust). It comes from the Latin 'holocaustum' which means 'burned offering'.

The Jews just decided to call what Adolf did 'The Holocaust' but don't let that spoil anyones moral outrage.

Yeah that was the first thing that struck me as I was sitting on my settee with a couple tins and my latin wordbook placed next to the remote.

Meaning is arbitrary and in constant flux, associative values often trump etymology. The swastika is a standard icon of eastern religion, after all.