You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bosman rule

Dracco

I am old enough to remember the days when just 3 foreign players could play for one team in the same game. Then the Bosman rule came and changed everything. But that´s for a different topic.

All I wanna ask is...I was thinking yesterday,if I remember correctly The Bosman rule set in fact the rule, that there were no more restriction in numbers of players from EU countries. Am I right?

I thought for years that it counts just for players from EU. Maybe I sound stupid now, but was there some another rule coming after it setting no limits, or?

Is it o.k. to have for example 4 Africans ( like Chelski) on the pitch in the same time? Or 4 South Americans? Are there no limitations anymore?

I know it sounds like I´ve been sleepin last 10 years but I couldn´t find the answer anywhere.

Thanks.

If a player from a non-EU country has a (valid) passport/citizenship of an EU country, then he's also classed as an EU player with full EU employment rights. A good example is our own Fabio Aurelio. Similarly, players from countries in the European Economic Area also have the same player rights as EU players, so an example could be Riise who could in theory have run his contract down and left on a Bosman. It would explain why so many South Americans can play here (they have valid dual passports with countries like Spain, Portugal or Italy) and Africans (who often have France or Belgium dual citizenship).

If a player from a non-EU country has a (valid) passport/citizenship of an EU country, then he's also classed as an EU player with full EU employment rights. A good example is our own Fabio Aurelio. Similarly, players from countries in the European Economic Area also have the same player rights as EU players, so an example could be Riise who could in theory have run his contract down and left on a Bosman. It would explain why so many South Americans can play here (they have valid dual passports with countries like Spain, Portugal or Italy) and Africans (who often have France or Belgium dual citizenship).

Thanks. So it means that if for example Drogba, Kalou and Essien didn´t have passport they shouldn´t be on the pitch in the same time with Zhirkov or some other non-passport dude?

Work permits aside the only limits affecting English teams are the PL and Uefa home-grown squad limits which are nationality neutral. If chelsea had 11 Africans with work permits all could play on the same day. They just can't have more than 17 players who weren't trained in England as kids in the squad. It's different here than in Italy for example where they do have some stuff about EU vs. non-EU players. We don't have that.

Edited by piscinin

The Spanish league has a limit of 3 non-EU players per team, but as Trumo said most of the South Americans there have European passports through ancestry or residency.

And as also mentioned the only restriction in England now is the work permit system which applies to every profession not just football.

Also, I'm a bit young to remember myself, but wasn't the 3 foreigners rule a UEFA law applied only their European competitions, rather than domestic leagues? Also wasn't it not strictly nationality-based, but association-based, so Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish players were classed as "foreign"?

I may be wrong on the last point as many of our Cup-winning teams had plenty of non-English British Isles players, although I suppose some (e.g. Lawro, Aldo) were English but just qualified to play for other national teams.

Guest San Don
I am old enough to remember the days when just 3 foreign players could play for one team in the same game. Then the Bosman rule came and changed everything. But that´s for a different topic.

All I wanna ask is...I was thinking yesterday,if I remember correctly The Bosman rule set in fact the rule, that there were no more restriction in numbers of players from EU countries. Am I right?

I thought for years that it counts just for players from EU. Maybe I sound stupid now, but was there some another rule coming after it setting no limits, or?

Is it o.k. to have for example 4 Africans ( like Chelski) on the pitch in the same time? Or 4 South Americans? Are there no limitations anymore?

I know it sounds like I´ve been sleepin last 10 years but I couldn´t find the answer anywhere.

Thanks.

The bosman ruling was that players were free to move clubs at the end of their contract, without a fee and without the 'original' club being able to block the move.

The removal of the 3 foreigners rule wasnt directly from bosman. That is enshrined in EU law which makes it the right of any EU national to seek employment in any member state.

This removed the 3 foreigner rule and stops UEFA and FIFA introducing any rule that says a team must have so many players from the home country in it.

The bosman ruling was that players were free to move clubs at the end of their contract, without a fee and without the 'original' club being able to block the move.

The removal of the 3 foreigners rule wasnt directly from bosman. That is enshrined in EU law which makes it the right of any EU national to seek employment in any member state.

This removed the 3 foreigner rule and stops UEFA and FIFA introducing any rule that says a team must have so many players from the home country in it.

The Bosman case did also rule that quotas limiting EU workers were illegal.

Guest San Don
The Bosman case did also rule that quotas limiting EU workers were illegal.

But the rule about freedom of movement is EU Law. If bosman as you say was instrumental in that, I'll take your word. But the actual law is EU law and not a football one.

But the rule about freedom of movement is EU Law. If bosman as you say was instrumental in that, I'll take your word. But the actual law is EU law and not a football one.

True it was included in the bosman case to have that law interpreted into the context of football because at that point the limits were still being applied.

THE BOSMAN CASE