You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Career Change

Guest LFD

Well in Chev, you won’t regret it.

I felt depressingly old last year during induction, my Access Course cohort having given me a false impression of the sort of ages I may be seeing dotted around in reasonably substantial numbers. At one point it appeared my tutor group was literally me and nine 18 year old lasses. What once would have been the dream scenario filled me with quite a lot of meh, if I’m honest.

My ideal is an entirely mixed group, so I’d be perfectly happy with at least a couple of school-leavers in that, but too many and it’s all but impossible to have much in common. Even when they’re being completely hospitable and including you/inviting you out with them.

Picked up though, a very amusing lad in his mid-twenties joined the group and the youngest looking lass turned out to be 22, old way beyond her years and owner of one of the darkest senses of humour I’ve ever known. Had a superb laugh with them and have since become decent mates, despite me being a plus-40 year old miserable bastard who they inevitably both call Dad. Fritzel jokes aplenty.

Unfortunately some other stuff got in the way at Xmas, which has taken focusing purely on my health ever since to turn round, meaning I had to leave my original uni. Have been offered (and accepted) a place at my local one 5 minutes up the road instead of an hour commute away, and start over in September.

Just going to saddle back up, grit my teeth and go through being the oldest fucker in the room all over again. So it’s certainly not an experience I found off-putting, as I’ve a positive feeling about going again and am just preparing to hit the ground running now.

• Upvote 3

I felt depressingly old last year during induction, my Access Course cohort having given me a false impression of the sort of ages I may be seeing dotted around in reasonably substantial numbers. At one point it appeared my tutor group was literally me and nine 18 year old lasses. What once would have been the dream scenario filled me with quite a lot of meh, if I’m honest.

My ideal is an entirely mixed group, so I’d be perfectly happy with at least a couple of school-leavers in that, but too many and it’s all but impossible to have much in common. Even when they’re being completely hospitable and including you/inviting you out with them.

Picked up though, a very amusing lad in his mid-twenties joined the group and the youngest looking lass turned out to be 22, old way beyond her years and owner of one of the darkest senses of humour I’ve ever known. Had a superb laugh with them and have since become decent mates, despite me being a plus-40 year old miserable bastard who they inevitably both call Dad. Fritzel jokes aplenty.

Unfortunately some other stuff got in the way at Xmas, which has taken focusing purely on my health ever since to turn round, meaning I had to leave my original uni. Have been offered (and accepted) a place at my local one 5 minutes up the road instead of an hour commute away, and start over in September.

Just going to saddle back up, grit my teeth and go through being the oldest fucker in the room all over again. So it’s certainly not an experience I found off-putting, as I’ve a positive feeling about going again and am just preparing to hit the ground running now.

What course you doing mate?

Well, I'm going to Uni. Got 3 assignments due in on Tuesday but with my grades so far I'm definitely through and sorted as long as I don't fail on those which I won't.

Had the same, fortunately there are two other guys who had applied for my course who are both in their 30s so I won't be the only one wandering around looking like some kind of bald sex pest.

Well done mate proud of ya
  • Upvote 1

Cheers Ben, I'm looking forward to it. Especially after the two open days I went to, pre and post receiving my offer, the kit they have in the department is ridiculous and it's all brand new pretty much so they are definitely right at the current level technology wise for the stuff I want to do.

I'm already thinking that when I finish my first one I might go back and do a new Physics degree as well because you can get funding for a part-time degree if it's STEM.

Well done mate proud of ya

Cheers old chap. Fighting the power one student loan at a time!

• Upvote 2

After almost being forced out of my business through redundancy I’ve taken on a new role as sales director which I’ve just finished my first week in.

Into a vipers nest, from the looks of it!!

• Upvote 1

Well, I'm going to Uni. Got 3 assignments due in on Tuesday but with my grades so far I'm definitely through and sorted as long as I don't fail on those which I won't.

Had the same, fortunately there are two other guys who had applied for my course who are both in their 30s so I won't be the only one wandering around looking like some kind of bald sex pest.

Well in mate. Fair play to you. Takes guts, best of luck.

My work has a few "apprentice" Business Analyst roles on at the moment. Study/project work mix while studying for a NVQ4 qualification. More or less the same paygrade as I'm at now and I'm sorely tempted. The idea of working on projects that actually end (rather than become your daily grind) is undeniably attractive.

What did you do about it in the end? I'm a Business Analyst, which is a clever way of saying I make suggestions but take no responsibility for any decisions. I like my job, but it very easily gets confused by people thinking it's simply providing stats and reports. It's made twice as difficult by having a snowflake manager who doesn't refuse requests from other departments so I spend much of my time building dashboards and trend charts than actually analysing data.

The pay scale is massively wider than it should be, so it depends on how seriously your company takes the role. Some offer pretty derisory salaries but then I've also seen roles that hit between £50k-£60k. I pretty much earn what I expect the job is worth but if I could find a BA role at the upper end of the scale I'd be sorely tempted even though the flexitime and perks my current place offers is the best I've experienced in my career.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a pre-course day at Edge Hill yesterday meeting my subject tutors and getting an idea of how the lectures etc will pan our before the placements kick in.  Bit apprehensive about the masters level writing as it's something I just haven't done for 14 years but they seemed to be willing to offer a lot of support if needed.

Although I am the oldest taking a PGCE there were some other mature students there too and got speaking to a mixed group who all seemed sound. 

Raring to get going now.  36 working days to go until I leave here 

• Upvote 1

Ha! Good luck Paulie; teaching is a difficult but rewarding career that I could never do in a million years.

12 years in and I'm starting to doubt my choice of architecture as a career. I'm burning out at 33 and it's not worth it. Trouble is, I don't see any better options out there!

Student loan has been confirmed. There's nothing between me and jacking it all in and going back to Uni now.

SHHHHIIIIIITTTTTTT

Yer’ve done it now

All the very best

Ha! Good luck Paulie; teaching is a difficult but rewarding career that I could never do in a million years.

12 years in and I'm starting to doubt my choice of architecture as a career. I'm burning out at 33 and it's not worth it. Trouble is, I don't see any better options out there!

That’s interesting- why are you suffering from burnout Karl? Is it workload? Can you not just turn work down? Architects I know love their job and are never stressed. Then again, I only know 3.

No, just him. The official process is for the manager to initiate it. I’m now going to go full on for gardening leave and fuck him over.

What is your notice period? If you don;t mind me asking.

Generally it is one month and 3 for managers(not sure if you are), but after 3 weeks, you should of at least been approached by HR by now.

You will, or should, be entitled to an exit interview, so keep your powder dry for having a go at your soon to be ex-boss, till the formal process has ended, no matter how much you want to rip into him. 

What is your notice period? If you don;t mind me asking.

Generally it is one month and 3 for managers(not sure if you are), but after 3 weeks, you should of at least been approached by HR by now.

You will, or should, be entitled to an exit interview, so keep your powder dry for having a go at your soon to be ex-boss, till the formal process has ended, no matter how much you want to rip into him.

3 months, I start my new job 19th Sept. 22 yrs there too.