You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Career Change

Guest LFD

I need a career change. Actually, that implies I already have a career to change. What I need is a career.

Essentially I am fed up with being paid buttons to work an insultingly easy job under people who aren't as smart as me and would like to earn a salary commensurate with my ability.

I don't want to wait too long, so things like doctor, lawyer etc are out, because I'm simply not willing to put in the years required. So it would have to be something where I could be shown the ropes reasonably quickly. I never encountered anything I couldn't do (plenty I didn't want to do, and even more I couldn't be arsed doing) so once I have picked up the basics, it wouldn't take long to master it.

I know what I'm letting myself in for posting on here, but if I get one or two serious suggestions among the comedy ones, great.

• Upvote 1

I need a career change. Actually, that implies I already have a career to change. What I need is a career.Essentially I am fed up with being paid buttons to work an insultingly easy job under people who aren't as smart as me and would like to earn a salary commensurate with my ability.I don't want to wait too long, so things like doctor, lawyer etc are out, because I'm simply not willing to put in the years required. So it would have to be something where I could be shown the ropes reasonably quickly. I never encountered anything I couldn't do (plenty I didn't want to do, and even more I couldn't be arsed doing) so once I have picked up the basics, it wouldn't take long to master it.I know what I'm letting myself in for posting on here, but if I get one or two serious suggestions among the comedy ones, great.

Figure out what you like doing and what environment you like being in. Start with your current job and your outside life, which bits do you like? Once you’ve thought that through, then suggestions for jobs that you’d enjoy will be a lot easier. And don’t chase the biggest salary

My work has a few "apprentice" Business Analyst roles on at the moment.  Study/project work mix while studying for a NVQ4 qualification.  More or less the same paygrade as I'm at now and I'm sorely tempted.  The idea of working on projects that actually end (rather than become your daily grind) is undeniably attractive.

I need a career change. Actually, that implies I already have a career to change. What I need is a career.

Essentially I am fed up with being paid buttons to work an insultingly easy job under people who aren't as smart as me and would like to earn a salary commensurate with my ability.

I don't want to wait too long, so things like doctor, lawyer etc are out, because I'm simply not willing to put in the years required. So it would have to be something where I could be shown the ropes reasonably quickly. I never encountered anything I couldn't do (plenty I didn't want to do, and even more I couldn't be arsed doing) so once I have picked up the basics, it wouldn't take long to master it.

I know what I'm letting myself in for posting on here, but if I get one or two serious suggestions among the comedy ones, great.

Good luck to you mate. I dont know what you do for a living so strugglin to suggest. Your clearly an intelligent bloke so im sure youll be an asset in most roles.

A technical sales role is good for academic people who are good communicators. Less gift of the gab and more product/industry knowledge. Selling into a sector that interests you. Decent money for hard working proffesional individuals.

Ct37SMHWIAAdEOq.jpg

• 1 month later...

What age group are you looking to teach, Paulie?

I usually go to the guided reading session they have every week in my daughters reception class and the kids whose parents don’t go swarm around me like flies around shit. I’m like the pied piper every Tuesday afternoon.

The teacher put me on the spot last week and asked me to go along as one of the helpers on a trip to the zoo today because the kids all like me. I couldn’t really say no even though it’s not something I’d ordinarily see myself doing.

It was reception class, plus years one and two and I was allocated my own group of kids from across all three age groups to keep an eye on/walk around with. I appreciated the job the teachers do before today but I’ve got a whole new level of respect for them now. It was rewarding and pretty fun but I’m absolutely shattered.

Fucking heroes, all of them. Sometimes it’s hard enough just having one 4/5/6 year old at home, even though my daughter is good as gold. At least you’ve got the option of putting them in front of the telly or on a tablet for half an hour to give yourself a rest.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just got confirmation my offer is now unconditional after showing them my GCSEs etc.  Just jumping through hoops to get the student loan sorted to pile on the last one. 

Walking round campus yesterday, I have never felt as old and bald.

Ahh fuck that your an experience older swordsman. Women love that

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm going to Uni. Got 3 assignments due in on Tuesday but with my grades so far I'm definitely through and sorted as long as I don't fail on those which I won't. 

Walking round campus yesterday, I have never felt as old and bald. 

Had the same, fortunately there are two other guys who had applied for my course who are both in their 30s so I won't be the only one wandering around looking like some kind of bald sex pest.

• Upvote 4