You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Career Change

Guest LFD

As others have already said, seriously impressed by your approach to this, Paulie. Hope it all works out for you. Primary schools need more male role models than the Head and the caretaker

Cheers ears.

Got 2 interviews lined up already. One end of Jan for the course I want and another for what would be my 3rd choice.

As others have already said, seriously impressed by your approach to this, Paulie. Hope it all works out for you. Primary schools need more male role models than the Head and the caretaker

When I was working in schools I did some IT support for the local feeder primaries.

It was always noticeable how much the kids used to react to a man being around as there seem to be so few of them in primary schools. 

I was the same at Access, chev, right the way through. Uni has been exactly what I expected in terms of the coursework/exams. Less of it (in this semester), but marked more harshly and demanding a reasonable amount more again from you, exactly as it should be.

If you’re hitting those grades at Access though, and receptive to being told what needs to be improved on each piece of work next year (as they’d still be doing that if you were handing in essays marked at 98% and above), you’ll be just fine, and in my experience enjoy being pushed more.

Once I got into it a bit and over the novelty that I could apply myself to some form of study for the first time ever, I found that Access was always having to tailor itself more to the weakest students in the class than the strongest and got somewhat lowest common denominator for me, whereas Uni is pushing everyone more.

Our access feels like that a little with the Chemistry stuff, but the Maths definitely doesn't have any lowest common denominator factor. Plus the level 2 stuff we had to do has been a nightmare, that was very hard to get motivated for and I had to leave it till the last minute so I HAD to do it because there was so little challenge to it. 

I was a lot more nervous for our final Chemistry exam but I think that was mainly down to having 3 days revision only because I had been ill over Christmas and New Year. My revision obviously still worked, but on the other hand if I'd done it how I'd originally planed I would expect to have been a lot more at ease with it. 

Sounds more or less like what I expect on the degree side. I think the hardest thing for me at the moment is that I still haven't really got myself into a schedule that gets me doing enough work to keep ticking over in balance with my Access stuff. 

With the guaranteed income once I'm on the degree I'm hoping that should become way less of an issue, because I know my rent on the farm is definitely covered. The guy from NCS we did a personal statement workshop with reckons he found the first year in particular way easier than he did his access, purely from the time scale perspective. 

There was a point in late November where it just seemed to like we had a deadline every other day. 

3 Uni interviews now coming up in the next fortnight.  My personal statement must not have been gibberish.  First one for the course I really want, and the other two for what would be my 2nd and 3rd choices.  Been working every night on improving my maths and English skills.  Reading as much as I can about the career and issues therein.  Think I'm just going to camp out on the laptop this weekend to finalise my knowledge and go in there and give it my best shot. 

My 2nd week of placement was even better than my first, loved every minute of it even though one kid said I had less hair than a dinosaur. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve got a 3rd interview with a company tomorrow for a new role that will be a nice step up from what I’m currently doing.

It’s a logistics manager role for a company who are modernising the business and will essentially give me free reign to bring in my own people, software and processes. The salary is excellent with fantastic bonuses and it seems to be a great company to work for who focus more on people that profits.

Meeting the GM, HR director and projects manager.

Fingers crossed.

• Upvote 2

Had my first uni interview today. Think it went well. The feedback from the lesson I taught was decent with only a few reflections and the maths test wasn't as daunting as I thought. Hopefully hear this week

You had to teach a lesson as part of your interview? Really?

• Upvote 1

Cheers

Yup, a 20 minute English or maths lesson to a group of mixed ability year 3s

Wow. Well, if you need further support just you can tell them the readers of this thread will be happy to vouch for the thought and effort you have put into your application

• Upvote 1

Wow. Well, if you need further support just you can tell them the readers of this thread will be happy to vouch for the thought and effort you have put into your application

Thanks Cath.

I spent ages on the lesson which paid off I think. Living with a teacher also helped.

I've got 2 more next week (though if I get on the course I interviewed for today would be my first choice)

Been 'compelled' into applying for a slightly more senior role at work where I'd be taking on more management duties. The only problem is that they'll expect me to keep my same workload and manage trainees and put in place new systems all for 30p an hour extra as there isn't much difference in my current wage and the next grade. I'm going to fluff the interview or pull out altogether me thinks.

Got a conditional offer for the course I want. Have to pass the professional skills test and obtain copies of my GCSES and A-Levels from the AQA

Made up.

Well in, mate.

Didn’t get the job I went for. Said I was the standout from a management perspective but lacked experience in a certain department and went with the other cunt.

Hope they all get AIDS, the Scottish cunts.

I’m not bitter though.

• Upvote 2

If there is one thing I miss about teaching it’s the light bulb moment.

When the little shits actually get the concept or solve the problem. Their eyes and the big smile.

Had one of them on my second placement. Two kids trying to go up and down numbers by ten. Wrote 100, 90, 80 etc on the board but they just couldn't get it.

Teacher asked if I had any ideas so I suggested drawing a "ten ladder" so every rung was ten and putting the numbers on the rungs so they could visualise someone stepping up and down. Instantly they both went from studying their hands to fighting over who got to answer the next question as that tiny shift, literally some vertical and horizontal lines, made sense for them. It was brilliant