You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearing that he is staying now. Matter of time I'd say.

Keane has NOT walked - Sunderland Echo

Yes, he's still there. But I agree about it being a matter of time - he'll walk out syaing the board are failing to back him, which his new mates in the media will lap up, and conveniently ignore the £100m he has spent since July 2007.

Most overrated manager since Allardyce. For all the money he's spent, often on dross, it's a disgrace Sunderland are where they are.

Keane has NOT walked - Sunderland Echo

Yes, he's still there. But I agree about it being a matter of time - he'll walk out syaing the board are failing to back him, which his new mates in the media will lap up, and conveniently ignore the £100m he has spent since July 2007.

Most overrated manager since Allardyce. For all the money he's spent, often on dross, it's a disgrace Sunderland are where they are.

The points gap between 7th and 19th is only 6 points. They could well be in the top half with a win this w/e.

Cunt or no cunt if he had signed for us he would have had the spice boys playing as though their lives depended on it, he wouldnt have tolerated knobs like Ruddock fucking about. The talent in the team back then really underachieved, and if there is one signing we didnt make that would have won us the league then its him.

(a case could be argued for Shearer too, but scoring goals back then was never a problem for us).

He walks out on every team. Twice at United (He was convinced to come back after the row with Shearer), Ireland, Blackburn when he shook hands with Dalglish on a deal and then went back on his word. It'll be no surprise when he does it at Sunderland. When the going gets tough, keane throws the toys out the pram and waddles off. Some of you might not know this, but I'm not really that fond of the guy.

The coverage of football in this country by all the main 3 channels (Sky, BBC and ITV) is pitiful. It's really put to shame when you watch coverage of other sports. Ad-breaks aside, ITV's coverage of F1 was excellent and informed, with good pundits and commentators. Sky's coverage of cricket is not as good as Channel 4's was, but again they have excellent commentators such as Michael Atherton who add to the viewers experience by highlighting incidents and parts of the game that somebody who'd never played cricket would not notice. I also really enjoy the BBC's golf coverage. Peter Allis may be a bit doolally these days, but on the course Ken Brown is very good at describing how a player will play his next shot, just a shame that the Beeb have shoe-horned Gary Linekar in as presenter. This shows that these channels know how to deliver good sports coverage.

The football coverage we get is cliched, agenda-driven, sensationalist nonsense in comparison. A crying shame for the country's most popular sport. Keane is absolutely spot on with his comments.

Fair enough, but I assume you know less about cricket and golf than you do about football. What is the media's job with football? It's not education - it's titillation. It's making people talk about football, about the station, all of which increases their figures and pleases advertisers.

You get the coverage you deserve. If people stopped using call back shows to slag people off, the coverage would change. But this is what the opinion groups and general public have highlighted as being successful, so it sticks.

And as bad as Sky/Setanta might be -- it is a million percent better than anything else related to football coverage in the world. The US and Canadian coverage is cringeworthy. At least people in the UK generally have an opinion about what they are showing.

I like Keane as a manager. Respected him as a player but hated the team he played for, but that did`nt make him a twat just a manc. I wish that every manager was as honest and straight as Roy Keane.

Is right - there is nobody who was more anti keane than me in his MUFC days but these days i find myself agreeing with most of what he says and really as has been said we'd have loved him if he was ours. He's like Souness was in the 70s/80s - hated by all except his own club - a winner in other words and goodness me we have had too few of them at LFC recently (altho hopefully that is changing - step forward Mr Carragher)

Walked out on MUFC? - well what he said re Rio in the MUTV interview was spot on and IMO if I'm honest he (and Schmeichal - another I hated then but quite like now) were the main reasons for MUFCs many successes as any fair minded person can see that they were both extraordinary talents - not Beckham or Cantona or even Ferguson despite what the media say.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like someones looking for a way out.

Keane unsure of Sunderland future

Roy Keane has hinted his future as Sunderland boss may not be certain after the club's defeat by Bolton saw them slip into the relegation zone.

Defensive errors triggered Saturday's 4-1 loss after which some fans at the Stadium of Light fans booed his players - but Keane took full responsibility.

"I ask myself every day if I'm the right man for Sunderland," he said.

"I asked myself this morning, and I said I was. Sunday morning, if the answer's no, we'll have to look at it."

The Black Cats had taken an early lead through Djibril Cisse's low finish but Bolton soon hit back through Matt Taylor and Gary Cahill goals, while Johan Elmander's double either side of half time sealed a comprehensive victory.

Sunderland now lie 18th having lost five of their last six Premier League matches.

Keane added: "I have to be honest in my assessment. It's not about what's best for Roy Keane. It's Sunderland football club.

"I might wake up on Monday morning and think I'm the right man. On Tuesday it might be different.

"I'm the manager of this football club and ultimately I'm responsible and I've never shied away from that.

"That's part of being a manager and that's why I take full responsibility for today and the run we're on and everything else."

Despite glaring errors from Danny Collins and captain Dean Whitehead on Saturday which led to Elmander's goals, Keane insisted he was not angry with his players.

"I look at what these lads have done over the last two and a bit years and they've been absolutely brilliant," he said.

"I can't legislate for individual mistakes so stuff like that doesn't make me angry.

"We play with such innocence we make it hard for ourselves and we seem to get punished for every mistake we make.

"It's such a harsh world. When you get in front you've certainly got to make sure you don't lose the game."

Bolton manager Gary Megson insisted his confidence in his side was being rewarded after they moved up to seventh in the table.

"There's no secret and the only thing we're doing differently that we weren't doing beforehand is scoring goals," he said.

"Our performances are not much different except in terms of confidence.

"When we score goals all the other aspects of our game come to the fore and people start to realise what we've got."

Story from BBC SPORT

Guest PaddyBerger15

Roy Keane is one strange fella. I think he will prove to be a top level manager over time, but you can't plan ahead at any football club when the manager has that kind of thought process.

He's being exposed as an honest, but pretty shite manager. It's all well and good rampaging to the Fizzy Pop Championship title, but Keane has spent an awful lot of money there. He has to take responsibility for the problems. He bought the players, he picks the team.

I can't see him being there long and I can't see Sunderland being in the Premiership come August 2009.

Looks like someones looking for a way out.

Keane unsure of Sunderland future

Roy Keane has hinted his future as Sunderland boss may not be certain after the club's defeat by Bolton saw them slip into the relegation zone.

Defensive errors triggered Saturday's 4-1 loss after which some fans at the Stadium of Light fans booed his players - but Keane took full responsibility.

"I ask myself every day if I'm the right man for Sunderland," he said.

"I asked myself this morning, and I said I was. Sunday morning, if the answer's no, we'll have to look at it."

The Black Cats had taken an early lead through Djibril Cisse's low finish but Bolton soon hit back through Matt Taylor and Gary Cahill goals, while Johan Elmander's double either side of half time sealed a comprehensive victory.

Sunderland now lie 18th having lost five of their last six Premier League matches.

Keane added: "I have to be honest in my assessment. It's not about what's best for Roy Keane. It's Sunderland football club.

"I might wake up on Monday morning and think I'm the right man. On Tuesday it might be different.

"I'm the manager of this football club and ultimately I'm responsible and I've never shied away from that.

"That's part of being a manager and that's why I take full responsibility for today and the run we're on and everything else."

Despite glaring errors from Danny Collins and captain Dean Whitehead on Saturday which led to Elmander's goals, Keane insisted he was not angry with his players.

"I look at what these lads have done over the last two and a bit years and they've been absolutely brilliant," he said.

"I can't legislate for individual mistakes so stuff like that doesn't make me angry.

"We play with such innocence we make it hard for ourselves and we seem to get punished for every mistake we make.

"It's such a harsh world. When you get in front you've certainly got to make sure you don't lose the game."

Bolton manager Gary Megson insisted his confidence in his side was being rewarded after they moved up to seventh in the table.

"There's no secret and the only thing we're doing differently that we weren't doing beforehand is scoring goals," he said.

"Our performances are not much different except in terms of confidence.

"When we score goals all the other aspects of our game come to the fore and people start to realise what we've got."

Story from BBC SPORT

I just think he want to take the pressure off his players and keep the hacks focused on him not his team. I don't think he'll walk away - or certainly not during the season.

• 4 months later...