You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fulham (H) - EFL Cup Semi Final, 1st leg - Wed 10th Jan 2024 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

A chance to both continue recent momentum and have one foot at Wembley beckons. Since we have relatively few fixtures this month, with a large break coming up, the issue is less to do with availability and more about rhythm. Even if the manager rings the changes, you want to make sure the ones playing are in great shape, able to carry out tactical plans, be brave in trying to make things happen, and be able to think clearly if put under a bit of pressure.

The last time the sides met in this fixture at Anfield was in December 2000, in the 5th round. Fulham were then coached by Jean Tigana, and had future Red Steve Finnan playing at right back. Bobby Clark's dad was playing in midfield for them at this time too. It was a pitiful turnout of just over 20,000 watching us slog through without much joy inside 90 minutes. I suspect the weather played a part because I remember it being particularly cold at the time. I was living in Sheffield back then and instead of raining every day as per usual, we seemed to have about 2 weeks of sleet. As the first half of extra time was drawing to a close, Owen finally managed to break the deadlock when he fired home at the second attempt in front of the Kop, after having his initial header saved by Maik Taylor in the Fulham goal. The second half of extra time was more like it, as we turned the screw with Nick Barmby to the fore. First, he cut back for Vladi to fire home past a static Taylor, and then he won the ball 40 yards out and just ran through a knackered Fulham defence to shoot past Taylor. 3-0 it finished. That result put us into the semis against Palace. We would go on to lift the trophy that season, and it was the first of an incredible cup treble for Ged's boys.

We played Fulham a month or so ago and we weren't quite at it, especially defensively. We had the strength and mentality needed when it counted though, battling to a 4-3 win featuring some great goals. Fulham have been one of the sides that can look dangerous and dynamic one week, and insipid the next. It's highly likely that Chelsea will get past Middlesbrough in the other semi, so Fulham's motivation is not just a potential final, but one against their West London rivals.

Take that possibility away from them. I think we will select a similar team to the one that played at Arsenal, except with Queef in goal. We might also see Diogo and Grav start this one. Whatever the picks, take the game seriously and look to leave Fulham with far too big a challenge back at their place a fortnight later. Motivation, concentration, attitude and application to be absolutely dialled up to 11, from first minute to last. Get it done!

• Upvote 11

They're shit, we're boss, it's Anfield.

Despite our absences through illness, injuries and internationals, our squad is more than capable of cunting these in the bastard.  When we played them in the league we flattered them to make them look good, but still beat them anyway.  That was their chance, and they blew it.

Just get these beat, Reds.

• Upvote 2

I expect more or less the same as yesterday from us. Keheller in goal, VVD back in and then, well, there aren’t many options! I’d start Gravenberch and Jota for Jones and Nunez. 

Bassey and Iwobi are away at the AFCON for them. 

Positive result please and let us enjoy / relax the 11 day break.

19 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Nunez left, Diaz right, trent in midfield and a right back playing, its two legs so let's see how we start a game with a side that knows how to finish one.

Jota or Gakpo up top?

I'd try Gakpo first half and Jota second. I think Jotas earned a start but I always picture him being effective in the second half of the game (not sure if the stats back that up) so could give them both a half. I also feel a bit for Gakpo being brought into midfield and played out of position so I'd like to see him get some time through the middle while we can.

49 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Jota or Gakpo up top?

I'd try Gakpo first half and Jota second. I think Jotas earned a start but I always picture him being effective in the second half of the game (not sure if the stats back that up) so could give them both a half. I also feel a bit for Gakpo being brought into midfield and played out of position so I'd like to see him get some time through the middle while we can.

Jota all day long. 

From the Telegraph,

There will not be any VAR in operation at the upcoming Carabao Cup semi-final matches, because Middlesbrough do not currently have the technology at the Riverside Stadium.

Chelsea travel to Middlesbrough for the first leg of the two-legged semi-final on Tuesday night, with Fulham playing against Liverpool in the other semi-final.

In the FA Cup, VAR has been in use at Premier League stadiums who have the technology and not in the others, but in the interests of fairness the English Football League has decided to not have it for any of the four matches altogether, rather than three out of four.

A spokesman told The Daily Telegraph: “There will be no VAR used in the semi finals because it was not possible for the technology to be used at Middlesbrough.
“It was decided it was fairer to not use it in any of the four semi final games as a result.

“The FA took a different approach (with the FA Cup) but we felt this was the way to go. If it couldn’t be used in one of the game it won’t be used in any of the four semi final legs.

“However, VAR will be used for the final regardless of who is playing in it as the technology is already installed at Wembley.”

There has been no VAR in the competition to date, even in all-Premier League clashes, although this has not been without some controversy.

• Upvote 1

On 08/01/2024 at 10:15, an tha said:

Kelleher

TAA

Quansah

VVD

Gomez

Mac Allister

Jones

Gravenberch

Diaz

Nunez

Jota

I would much prefer Jota on as an impact, than Cody, but that’s just me.