You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nunez or Gakpo

Jose Jones

Nunez or Gakpo  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who’s your striker?

Who are you picking as first choice centre forward?

Pretty simple question.

Anyone who wants to say shit like “it depends on what tactics Klopp wants to play” or, “vary it according to the opposition”, or even “whichever one is in form”, is not welcome here.

@stringvestis allowed to vote for Jota and @lebron can vote for Firmino.

• Upvote 1

Gakpo is a Volvo 4x4 being driven by the CTO of a respectable fortune 500 company, Nunez is a Monster Truck being driven by a 40-year-old career civil servant who has no licence and has just found out his wife is cheating on him. I'm a Nunez man.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Gakpo/Nunez/Salah/Jota/Diaz is a hell of an attacking force. 

And yet, with four of them on the pitch, it took a last minute Bobby dazzler to get a draw against Villa when we were desperately fighting for 4th.

Anyway, I'd go with Nunez, at least for the first part of the season. If he can get his game together I think he gets us more goals than Gakpo.

5 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

And yet, with four of them on the pitch, it took a last minute Bobby dazzler to get a draw against Villa when we were desperately fighting for 4th.

Anyway, I'd go with Nunez, at least for the first part of the season. If he can get his game together I think he gets us more goals than Gakpo.

Do we get more or less goals overall though?

Gakpo is great with the ball, drives forward and opens play, without the ball he looks lost at times and needs to develop this side of his game.

Nunez slightly opposite in that he makes great runs without the ball, always a willing runner, reads the game well, bar off side! But with the ball can be wasteful at times and could go with some more composure in his game. 

Both have work to do with their game and the first who irons out their creases, will be the go to starter for a while, I reckon. 

We got options. I think we see Nunez when we want to flat track bully teams and Gakpo for the tough games. We’ll also see Gakpo pick up other positions as well as see Nunez coming in from the left occasionally. There’s also a possibility we see Salah move inside from time to time and play alongside one of them. Can see the odd game being a variation on a 442 with Diaz wide left and the Big Lebowski wide right with Mac and another in the middle. Might even suit Diaz more if he has a bit more space in front of him.

Both will start the majority of games next season. I voted Nunez he will score a shitload of goals -  with the right coaching support and Klopps track record -  his ceiling is off the charts. Gakpo is a good team player who managers love and his ability to settle quickly was impressive. I like Gakpo a lot. 

Being a striker is the most difficult role in football these days. The richest clubs like Madrid,  Manchester United and Chelsea can't find them. The haters and losers need to show a bit of patience with Nunez. 

Both. Need to find a way to get them both in the team together because it's got the making of a perfect pairing. One dropping off, the other stretching them with runs in behind. We might not see the pairing get a regular go together while Mo is here though.

It's a bit like on football manager when you sell your 4 star but declining 30 year old forward and buy 2 2.5 star forwards but who both have an incredibly high potential. Nunez has the potential to be world class, whereas Gakpo can be a 4 star leading forward. Gakpo has made it to 3 star for now though so probably just edging it.