You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

18 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

For what it’s worth this was my mate this morning. 

Chelsea knew of our interest but then they  also knew every club in the top half of the league had spoken with his agents, they didn’t think our interest serious and as such have been dragging this out. 

Player has got frustrated after he’d given his word at the length of time it’s taken to get done. Especially having done everything he can behind the scenes to hurry this up was feeling let down by promises made not materialising yet. 

The big guy (Boehly) is a law unto himself, they expect Chelsea to match our offer knowing they’ve offered the player approx £220k a week and let the player decide. 

”If this doesn’t go through I guarantee there’ll be articles in the press trying to blame Pochettino for it not going through. 

I’d still say it’s 50/50”. 

You say Caicedo is frustrated, but is he frustrated enough to agree terms with us ? Sky said in the it transfer show that personal terms agreed but not seen that anywhere else ?

19 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

For what it’s worth this was my mate this morning. 

Chelsea knew of our interest but then they  also knew every club in the top half of the league had spoken with his agents, they didn’t think our interest serious and as such have been dragging this out. 

Player has got frustrated after he’d given his word at the length of time it’s taken to get done. Especially having done everything he can behind the scenes to hurry this up was feeling let down by promises made not materialising yet. 

The big guy (Boehly) is a law unto himself, they expect Chelsea to match our offer knowing they’ve offered the player approx £220k a week and let the player decide. 

”If this doesn’t go through I guarantee there’ll be articles in the press trying to blame Pochettino for it not going through. 

I’d still say it’s 50/50”. 

FWIW I believe Brighton prefer dealing with us and will tell Todd to fuck off.

If it really was an auction, going by basic principles of contract law, we have formed the agreement with Brighton and there's not anything Chelsea can do. 

Obviously that will be different in this scenario if Caicedo says no to us and that he only wants to go to Chelsea.

4 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Have to still expect Boehly to at least match our offer and maybe go bigger with wages. Guess it all hinges on Brighton; if they abide by their supposed deadline then it's done, he either moves to us or stays put. 

Hard to know how pissed off Brighton are with Chelsea for drawing this out. 

Yeah, if Brighton fuck us, this is over. If Chelsea offer more than we do, what is their incentive to turn that down, their word that it was midnight auction?

11 minutes ago, Em City said:

If it really was an auction, going by basic principles of contract law, we have formed the agreement with Brighton and there's not anything Chelsea can do. 

Obviously that will be different in this scenario if Caicedo says no to us and that he only wants to go to Chelsea.

i think that could be the fly in the ointment. i got a news flash on my phone before saying klopp had said he doesn't know if the player wants to join us, but i can't see that mentioned in the echo live update of the press conference. 

Naturally the snide bastards in the media have been all over Klopp's comments about paying big money in past.

It was on bbc site early this morning for example 'it will be interesting to hear what Klopp has to say now after what he said about kids wanting xmas presents' blah blah blah.

Well here is what he did say on matter:

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp on spending over £100m on a player: "Everything changed. Do I like it? No. Did I realise I was wrong? Yes.

"I'm not blaming anyone but it's just the market.

"In the end, we as a club have to make sure that, with our resources, we get the best possible player.

"We aren't in a dreamland and can't just point at a player and get them to come in. Sometimes one door closes and another opens up."

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, if Brighton fuck us, this is over. If Chelsea offer more than we do, what is their incentive to turn that down, their word that it was midnight auction?

I would assume Brighton's incentive is to set the bar for all future dealings. They know they're a club that'll lose players, top clubs will circle them and try to convince a target to come to them and them only, then try lowering the price. It seems that's what Chelsea were leveraging here, the same as us with Southampton (amongst others).

They'd be turning down money in the short term, in the hope it'd ensure future deals aren't as protracted. Let's face it, if Chelsea wanted a player from Brighton tomorrow, do you think they'd take their sweet time again haggling?

The worry is, Brighton don't need to go through with it to have made their point. The only thing really going in our favour is, if they go back on their word of a deadline, it'll be harder to convince alternate parties to come to the table in future.

Bit of brinkmanship, bit of game theory going on. Interesting.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

The problem we have now is that if we don't get him, every single club is going to massively bump the price up for the next player we approach.

It looks like Klopp is getting his wish about taking a risk!

Yup, thats the downside of this one, it falls through then every dickhead around is upping their valuation for any player we bid for.

26 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Have to still expect Boehly to at least match our offer and maybe go bigger with wages. Guess it all hinges on Brighton; if they abide by their supposed deadline then it's done, he either moves to us or stays put. 

Hard to know how pissed off Brighton are with Chelsea for drawing this out. 

They won't be pissed off enough to refuse their money if the player stands his ground and only wants Chelsea.