You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

I think both Mig and Karius got better at coming for crosses, and it was fairly obvious that they were coached up to it.

Mig never learned how to come off his line and often limp wristed shots he could have saved.

Karius obviously had the worst goalkeeping performance of all time in a European final.

So a bit of give, a bit of take for Achterberg.

How big an influence does a goalkeeping coach actually have, though?

There seemed to be a bit of a consensus that Karius was doing the simple things pretty well in recent months. However bad Achterberg is or isn't, I'm not sure how he can be blamed for the two horrendous mistakes in the final. And I really don't remember any talk of Karius being an heir to Neuer's throne before we signed him.

How big an influence has, say, Manchester United's goalkeeping coach on a player as good as De Gea? Or Atletico's on Oblak? Were their key skills and instincts not already there?

Just make the position a priority this summer, particularly given that the Fekir thing has fallen apart.

That was the summer when we were treated to a deluge of impressive articles and posts which patiently explained that Bentenke was not, in fact, a target man.

Laughable, kneejerk idiots who don't understand the game as well as people who are positive about every single decision the club makes.

• Upvote 2

His kicking was childlike when he arrived. It’s pretty solid now. This Achterberg thing is pretty typical of modern football. It’s starts out as a bit of a joke and over time people start saying it seriously until the point you’re deluded if you think anything otherwise despite nobody actually having a clue how or what he trains the keepers at the club on. It’s one thing raising a concern about it which I think is fair enough as most of the keepers here recently have not been good enough. To say it’s a guarantee is another thing though.

Both Mignolet and Karius didn’t exactly set the world alight from the minute they walked through the door. They’ve both generally improved as well. The mistakes they’ve made and clear mental problems they’ve had are things that when being objective are hard to completely nail down as Achterbergs fault.

Klopp is not a stupid man. If he thinks this is an issue he will deal with it.

• Upvote 3

His kicking was childlike when he arrived. It’s pretty solid now. This Achterberg thing is pretty typical of modern football. It’s starts out as a bit of a joke and over time people start saying it seriously until the point you’re deluded if you think anything otherwise despite nobody actually having a clue how or what he trains the keepers at the club on. It’s one thing raising a concern about it which I think is fair enough as most of the keepers here recently have not been good enough. To say it’s a guarantee is another thing though.

Both Mignolet and Karius didn’t exactly set the world alight from the minute they walked through the door. They’ve both generally improved as well. The mistakes they’ve made and clear mental problems they’ve had are things that when being objective are hard to completely nail down as Achterbergs fault.

Klopp is not a stupid man. If he thinks this is an issue he will deal with it.

There’s been clips posted on here of our GK training sessions and those of some teams abroad. Ours were limited as fuck in comparison and it looked pretty damning.

I think it might have been Boss who first posted them.

You're in denial if you don't think Acterberg is causing it. Mignolet statistically was ranked one of the best keepers in the league for 2 years in a row before he signed for us. He was actually ranked the best in his final year at Sunderland. First year with us he's outside the top 10. After three years working with Acterberg, Myhill and Rob Elliot are better than him.

Karius was one of the best goalkeepers in the Bundesliga before he arrived. People on here were saying "this is the keeper that will solve our goalkeeping problems". He was perceived by the German media as the heir to Manual Neuer's throne. Arrives here. Bottom 5 in the league pretty much consistently ever since.

Pepe Reina, one of the best keepers we've ever had. Went to complete shit under Acterberg. He moves to Napoli and starts working with Rafa again and suddenly finds his form.

The problem is the coach. He doesn't instill any confidence in them. They go out on the field with a rabbit in the headlights look on their faces every game. They show no leadership qualities. That's all on the coach.

If a striker is petrified to shoot and and shits himself in every 1 v 1 you'd say, "who's doing the attacking drills for this guy?". There would be repercussions. Why is there no accountability when it comes to the keepers?

At best, Achterberg is having no effect and at worst he's turning them shite. How has there been no reevaluation of this guy's job? 

• Upvote 1

There’s been clips posted on here of our GK training sessions and those of some teams abroad. Ours were limited as fuck in comparison and it looked pretty damning.

Found them. The first video of Levante has disappeared from YouTube though.

I don't rate John Achterberg to be honest, Reina was great under Valero and it all seemed to go to pot since he left, if you look at the lesser clubs in Spain like Lavente and Deportivo the level of goalkeeping coaching far exceeds what we do in this country.

Levante

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_uDWhNDTfg

Deportivo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbx8biPhOwU

Then look at ours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhU3rUHIUv4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF_0PZ_SiO8

It's pedestrian in comparison, what we need is the finished article (Valdes) someone that's done it all before and just uses the training to keep his sharpness because this policy of buying young goalkeepers and improving them doesn't work for us, i don't think we've really improved a goalkeeper from the moment he's arrived in years, maybe Pepe but that was Valero.

How big an influence does a goalkeeping coach actually have, though?

There seemed to be a bit of a consensus that Karius was doing the simple things pretty well in recent months. However bad Achterberg is or isn't, I'm not sure how he can be blamed for the two horrendous mistakes in the final. And I really don't remember any talk of Karius being an heir to Neuer's throne before we signed him.

How big an influence has, say, Manchester United's goalkeeping coach on a player as good as De Gea? Or Atletico's on Oblak? Were their key skills and instincts not already there?

Just make the position a priority this summer, particularly given that the Fekir thing has fallen apart.

The coach isn't the reason for De Gea or Oblak's success, but when keepers get systematically worse when they come to the club, you have to start pointing fingers elsewhere. 

And the Neuer comparison was an exaggeration, but it's a well known fact that Bundesliga players rated Karius the second best keeper in Germany the season before he came here.

At best, Achterberg is having no effect and at worst he's turning them shite. How has there been no reevaluation of this guy's job? 

It blows my mind that there seems to be no evaluation of him whatsoever. It's funny because when Craig Bellamy was here, he started seeing a sports psychiatrist and within a few weeks the owners contacted him asking about whether he was on PED's or something because his stats during training sessions were increasing across the board. 

If they have that attention to detail over what your resting heart rate is and how many miles you cover during a training session, how has no-one looked into the 9 years of ever decreasing goalkeeper performances at this football club?

If they have that attention to detail over what your resting heart rate is and how many miles you cover during a training session, how has no-one looked into the 9 years of ever decreasing goalkeeper performances at this football club?

Look at the sample of that nine years, though. You're talking about an increasingly disinterested Reina succeeded by Brad Jones, Mignolet and Karius and probably a few others I've blanked from memory. Goalkeeping coaching at the club might well require a rehaul, but at the moment that's a distraction from actually getting a top quality goalkeeper in.

• Upvote 2

I've heard from various professional coaches that a lot of clubs, when they let the cameras in to film some training session, they only do basic drills/exercises. They don't like to give away trade secrets. 

I too used to think the same about Achterberg, but Klopp has praised him a lot and he also has the UEFA Pro licence, which is the highest qualification you can get, so what do I know!

• Upvote 1

Found them. The first video of Levante has disappeared from YouTube though.

Honestly Turds this is an example of what I’m on about. You’ve got 1 2 minute clip which very may well be them warming the keepers up before a practice game. It might also be that’s the most complex training they have them doing(I doubt it but neither of us know) and another 40 second clip over the fence of them practising low saves by the looks of it. You’re then comparing it to what looks like a goalkeeping coaches training video with lots of different types of practice going on.

From these clips you then get people concluding things as if they’ve got all the information they need and taking this as definitive proof that Achterberg needs sacking. It’s mental. He very may well be shite but these clips literally tell me fuck all. It’s confirmation bias.

The amount of analysts and money the club spend on researching players and tactics etc and the fact we’ve got Klopp in charge make me think it’s more likely that the club will be up to date on all the latest and best types of training. Whether it be fitness, agility, strength and even goalkeeping. As I said Klopp is not a stupid man and he will be evaluating every player and coaches performances. I think it’s pointless getting wound up about a coach who you literally have no insight into how good a job he is doing.

• Upvote 5

You're in denial if you don't think Acterberg is causing it. Mignolet statistically was ranked one of the best keepers in the league for 2 years in a row before he signed for us. He was actually ranked the best in his final year at Sunderland. First year with us he's outside the top 10. After three years working with Acterberg, Myhill and Rob Elliot are better than him.

Karius was one of the best goalkeepers in the Bundesliga before he arrived. People on here were saying "this is the keeper that will solve our goalkeeping problems". He was perceived by the German media as the heir to Manual Neuer's throne. Arrives here. Bottom 5 in the league pretty much consistently ever since.

Pepe Reina, one of the best keepers we've ever had. Went to complete shit under Acterberg. He moves to Napoli and starts working with Rafa again and suddenly finds his form.

The problem is the coach. He doesn't instill any confidence in them. They go out on the field with a rabbit in the headlights look on their faces every game. They show no leadership qualities. That's all on the coach.

If a striker is petrified to shoot and and shits himself in every 1 v 1 you'd say, "who's doing the attacking drills for this guy?". There would be repercussions. Why is there no accountability when it comes to the keepers?

Solely blaming Achterberg for all that overlooks the impact of the club's era of austerity, wank managerial changes, Reina's surgery the same summer Achterberg arrived, Brad fucking Jones, Mignolet's inability to adjust to Rodgeball because he's completely useless (see the stats of Burnley keepers this season), Adam fucking Bogdan, the overrating of Karius - Low has never thought to look at him once.

Honestly Turds this is an example of what I’m on about. You’ve got 1 2 minute clip which very may well be them warming the keepers up before a practice game. It might also be that’s the most complex training they have them doing(I doubt it but neither of us know) and another 40 second clip over the fence of them practising low saves by the looks of it. You’re then comparing it to what looks like a goalkeeping coaches training video with lots of different types of practice going on.

From these clips you then get people concluding things as if they’ve got all the information they need and taking this as definitive proof that Achterberg needs sacking. It’s mental. He very may well be shite but these clips literally tell me fuck all. It’s confirmation bias.

The amount of analysts and money the club spend on researching players and tactics etc and the fact we’ve got Klopp in charge make me think it’s more likely that the club will be up to date on all the latest and best types of training. Whether it be fitness, agility, strength and even goalkeeping. As I said Klopp is not a stupid man and he will be evaluating every player and coaches performances. I think it’s pointless getting wound up about a coach who you literally have no insight into how good a job he is doing.

For a start Klopp doesn't train the goalkeepers. They train on their own. I don't know how he can evaluate them if he isn't there to see what's going on. Also expecting Klopp to intervene is not based on any prior experience of doing so. Klopp has notoriously had shit keepers everywhere he's been and he's never once sacked a coach or bombed out a goalkeeper, so i don't know where you're getting that belief from.

You say that the clips only show intense training sessions carried out by Levante and Deportivo and that Acterberg's was just a warm up session. That's not true. Luis Llopes is Navas's goalkeeping coach. He's the one in this video here. 

He's been with Navas since his early days in Levante and he's now the goalkeeping coach at Real Madrid. He trains like that every day. That's the intensity of training. He's talked about it before. He's the reason behind Navas's success. It's fast, intense, technical, agility based training.

• Upvote 1

For a start Klopp doesn't train the goalkeepers. They train on their own. I don't know how he can evaluate them if he isn't there to see what's going on. Also expecting Klopp to intervene is not based on any prior experience of doing so. Klopp has notoriously had shit keepers everywhere he's been and he's never once sacked a coach or bombed out a goalkeeper, so i don't know where you're getting that belief from.

You say that the clips only show intense training sessions carried out by Levante and Deportivo and that Acterberg's was just a warm up session. That's not true. Luis Llopes is Navas's goalkeeping coach. He's the one in this video here. 

He's been with Navas since his early days in Levante and he's now the goalkeeping coach at Real Madrid. He trains like that every day. That's the intensity of training. He's talked about it before. He's the reason behind Navas's success. It's fast, intense, technical, agility based training.

Hang on, you don't know how Klopp can evaluate him, despite working together daily for the last few years, and not being the only coach of the first team, so having the ability to walk a very short distance to see and leave the others to it, yet you can evaluate him from a few Youtube clips and some circumstantial evidence about how the ability of our keepers have changed?

Hang on, you don't know how Klopp can evaluate him, despite working together daily for the last few years, and not being the only coach of the first team, so having the ability to walk a very short distance to see and leave the others to it, yet you can evaluate him from a few Youtube clips and some circumstantial evidence about how the ability of our keepers have changed?

I can evaluate him on every one of our keepers turning to shit over the last 9 years. Mignolet thanking his wife during his only upturn in form. Non of our ex keepers having anything positive to say about him. All of them being perpetually mentally weak and lacking leadership qualities during games. Non of the defence showing any confidence in them. Also every piece of footage of his training showing appalling sessions. What else is there to evaluate? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEkwuvN5Ans&t=229s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41g5-xLxCWE

Jesus Christ boss read my fucking post properly. I’m saying you or I have no idea what Achterberg is doing. Posting a 2 min clip of him hitting some balls at a keeper in Thailand pre season at what appears to be clearly an open training sessions does not tell you anything. They may also be doing intense training of a very similar standard away from the cameras.

Separately do you honestly think that Luis Llopes or whatever his name is has never just hit a few repeated shots at a keeper in a warm up? Were you blaming him when Navas basically stepped out of the way of that Bayern Munich goal in the champions league semi final? He’s made plenty of howlers as well when I’ve seen him.

I didn’t say Klopp trains the keepers either. If you think he’s never bothered to watch our coaches training them then I think you need to realise the meltdown you’re having. Plenty of coaches come and go all the time and once again you will have absolutely no fucking clue the reasons behind them. I couldn’t tell you if he’s notorious for having shit keepers or not because I’m not an avid watcher of every single foreign league around the world like everyone else seems to be when it suits them despite them hardly watching any other team than Liverpool in the premier league. I do really doubt though he would have won what he has and got as far as he has in the game notoriously having shit keepers.

Honestly boss I’ve said my piece. I’ve got nothing more to add. Based on this last post and most things I read from you any response you come back with us just going to be misrepresenting what I’ve said so don’t bother you will find the answers to anything you ask in the last two posts.

• Upvote 1