You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Looks like he's arguing that klopp has got it wrong about achterberg being good enough, not that he's in a better position to evaluate Achterberg than klopp.

From the below response to The Guest, it doesn't look like it to me, which is why I asked a couple of times

As I said Klopp is not a stupid man and he will be evaluating every player and coaches performances.

For a start Klopp doesn't train the goalkeepers. They train on their own. I don't know how he can evaluate them if he isn't there to see what's going on.

I've said it before, but we've rarely had a goalkeeper who is the undisputed number one for his country. We've signed several who have been first choice for their previous club, but in international terms, they are either understudies or not in the international picture. Personally, I think it makes a difference to have someone in goal who is a first choice as an international (for a team playing at a certain level of course, not an international minnow that ships goals in every game). Obviously, ability and desire are a huge factor in determining how successful a goalkeeper can be at Liverpool, but having a standing as the main man surely transmits to the defenders in front of him that they have genuine security behind them.

Regarding Achterberg, I've had doubts about his coaching ability. Not because I know more than him about goalkeeper coaching (I'm certain I don't), but because our goalkeepers since 2009 have either stagnated or gotten worse in their development with us. Putting aside opinions on the quality or otherwise of these goalkeepers, what is it about us that has seen this stagnation or tailing off? I don't like to put that much stock in players' opinions of their coaches because they tend to claim everything is tip-top as long as they are being picked to play. It's not an objective opinion, as Danny Murphy's fullsome praise of the Owl proves. Murphy has talked down trophy-winning managers who used him as a bit-part player, and talked up those mediocrities who picked him every week.

• Upvote 2

.d2ab82633dab5bef14b8cab7a58c39ae.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

So we have approached Allison in the hope that we can agree personal terms before approaching Roma to see if they are willing to sell? Was this done in Blackpool? And just because I like the word, have they included any beak in the proposal?

So we have approached Allison in the hope that we can agree personal terms before approaching Roma to see if they are willing to sell? Was this done in Blackpool? And just because I like the word, have they included any beak in the proposal?

I hear Clyne is in charge of that.

• Upvote 1

The Roma President has had to clarify his remarks about Alisson being close to a transfer to Real Madrid. He now says he was joking and there is no truth in the Madrid stuff. That'll have pretty much every major sports news outlet gnashing their teeth, as they all ran with it.

There were lots of questions around our defensive drilling and coaching before Van Dijk arrived.

Let's sign a world class goalkeeper and see how things work out.

that sounds a bit easy to me. Let's buy a your kid and let JA fuck him up, it's TLW under FSG no BS.