You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Reina regressed but that was probably more down to him losing heart.

Are you going to suggest that Mig and Karius both started well and then got worse?

Mignolet didn't start badly, no. He saved a pen in one of the first games that got us 3 points and allowed us to go on a run. Mignolet was decent in his first season, and yes, he has gotten worse.

Mignolet didn't start badly, no. He saved a pen in one of the first games that got us 3 points and allowed us to go on a run. Mignolet was decent in his first season, and yes, he has gotten worse.

Mignolet was never good enough for us and if anything his kicking has improved since he's been here but he was the wrong type of keeper for our club as he likes to stay on his line a lot.

Using your logic if we signed DeGea he'd be shite for us as well because of the coaching.

We simply need to buy a better standard of goalkeeper and not have a second choice for Belgium and Karius who doesn't get near the Germany squad. 

I've no issue if we do get a different goalkeeping coach but if we don't have good enough players its a waste. 

If we sold Karius and Mignolet tomorrow what clubs in the premier league would take them and even use them as their first choice ?

Mignolet was never good enough for us and if anything his kicking has improved since he's been here but he was the wrong type of keeper for our club as he likes to stay on his line a lot.

Using your logic if we signed DeGea he'd be shite for us as well because of the coaching.

We simply need to buy a better standard of goalkeeper and not have a second choice for Belgium and Karius who doesn't get near the Germany squad. 

I've no issue if we do get a different goalkeeping coach but if we don't have good enough players its a waste. 

If we sold Karius and Mignolet tomorrow what clubs in the premier league would take them and even use them as their first choice ?

If De Gea was ours, he'd be the same De Gea that arrived at United. He wouldn't be the De Gea we see now.

Acterberg hasn't improved anything. Mignolet's shot stopping ability has regressed and that's backed up by stats. The goals per shots ratio of the pair of them have nosedived under his tutorship. Even famous goalkeepers have commented on the hand position of Karius being wrong when he's setting up to save a shot. Basic fundamental mistakes taught by Acterberg.

Why is it that the likes of Burnley can get a song from Pope and Heaton even though their both average? Why is that that Brighton, Crystal Palace, Swansea and Watford can all get their average keepers to over perform but we can't?

If De Gea was ours, he'd be the same De Gea that arrived at United. He wouldn't be the De Gea we see now.

Acterberg hasn't improved anything. Mignolet's shot stopping ability has regressed and that's backed up by stats. The goals per shots ratio of the pair of them have nosedived under his tutorship. Even famous goalkeepers have commented on the hand position of Karius being wrong when he's setting up to save a shot. Basic fundamental mistakes taught by Acterberg.

Why is it that the likes of Burnley can get a song from Pope and Heaton even though their both average? Why is that that Brighton, Crystal Palace, Swansea and Watford can all get their average keepers to over perform but we can't?

Is like your blaming everything on the goalkeeping coach and don't seem to consider the players we have currently are not good enough.

Is like your blaming everything on the goalkeeping coach and don't seem to consider the players we have currently are not good enough.

Mignolet would've been a top 6 goalkeeper and Karius the same if they were coached correctly. What happens when Alisson arrives and reverts to type?

"Alisson wasn't very good anyway. He had one decent season at Roma. He couldn't get in ahead of Szczesny. He was crap against us in the Champions league."

Thing is, Mignolet, Reina, Karius, Ward, even Bogdan, are all professional keepers who have been learning their trade since childhood, so if he really was that shit and actually to blame for making keepers worse, which is quite a mental concept, then I'm sure one of them would have been able to recognise it.

Or one of the other coaches or managers Liverpool have had in that time might have also.

I have no idea if he's a good goalkeeping coach or not, or what a good goalkeeping coach would do. I've not heard of many goalkeeping coaches being poached before, although some goalkeepers like to bring their own with them (because they're used to working with them)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thing is, Mignolet, Reina, Karius, Ward, even Bogdan, are all professional keepers who have been learning their trade since childhood, so if he really was that shit and actually to blame for making keepers worse, which is quite a mental concept, then I'm sure one of them would have been able to recognise it.

Or one of the other coaches or managers Liverpool have had in that time might have also.

I have no idea if he's a good goalkeeping coach or not, or what a good goalkeeping coach would do. I've not heard of many goalkeeping coaches being poached before, although some goalkeepers like to bring their own with them (because they're used to working with them)

Why was Ian Ayre CEO for so long then? Surely he was great because successive managers didn't see the need to get rid of him. 

How often have you asked a higher up to sack your boss? and why do you think the keepers would do that?

The goalkeepers shouldn't need to go to their superiors to complain about him. He should be sacked based on the stats of the goalkeeper performances. Even if he was amazing behind closed doors and every keeper just so happened to shit themselves as soon as they entered the field. He should be judged on that. It's a performance orientated game and the performance of the keepers for 9 years has been appalling. The buck stops with him and if the club had any sense they'd get rid of him.

Pretty sure John Achterberg isn't any of our keepers boss. He's like the hired help.

I have literally never heard of any other goalkeeping coach at any other club, or heard anyone thank whoever the fuck uniteds goalkeeping coach is for the 15 points he's gained them that season.

Or seen Real or Barca try to poach a goalkeeping coach.

Pretty sure John Achterberg isn't any of our keepers boss. He's like the hired help.

I have literally never heard of any other goalkeeping coach at any other club, or heard anyone thank whoever the fuck uniteds goalkeeping coach is for the 15 points he's gained them that season.

Or seen Real or Barca try to poach a goalkeeping coach.

United poached De Gea's goalkeeping coach from Atletico at De Geas request. They've worked with each other for years. Some goalkeepers have incredibly close relationships with their coach and they follow each other from club to club.

Real Madrid poached Llopes from Granada to coach Navas. 

So yeah, to my point, some keepers literally bring their own coaches with them their whole career.

There is potentially an argument about the lack of development in goalkeeping coaching as a discipline in this country.

I'm not defending John Achterberg by the way, I just don't think you, or I, are in a position to say whether John Achterberg is a good goalkeeping coach or not.