You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

Stayed on his line, the one he wasnt anywhere near when Lovren fucked up.

Keep showing your ridiculous bias

He could have held his line then, the ball was looping and it'd taken a hell of a header to beat him, or he could have let it drop and he had a defender on his shoulder.

He still could have done more, he wasn't a helpless bystander as you seem intent on making him out to be.

And there's no bias, I gain nothing from him being shit and would much rather he comes out of this spell as a better keeper, but it's no good denying that at the moment he is performing anywhere near the standard we need.

Karius was the dog's bollocks in Germany, my absolute number 1 goalkeeping target.

He's still only a young lad, in a foreign country, taking over the gloves at a massive club, and so far he's been ok, defo an improvement already on that Belgian stiff.

Just imagine how good he'll become, and how much better we'll be as a team, once we allow him the time to grow into the role.

Fucks sake, is everyone too young to remember Brucie Grobelaar ?!

• Upvote 3

This is my biggest concern - he was supposed to be quite good at this. Got away with a ridiculous decision against Utd with the ball as well.

Yep, I think he'll come good, but right now his kicking has me wanting to rip his mask off like in Scooby Doo, to reveal the Mig underneath.

I've not seen the pair of them in the same room yet...

Karius was the dog's bollocks in Germany, my absolute number 1 goalkeeping target.

He's still only a young lad, in a foreign country, taking over the gloves at a massive club, and so far he's been ok, defo an improvement already on that Belgian stiff.

Just imagine how good he'll become, and how much better we'll be as a team, once we allow him the time to grow into the role.

Fucks sake, is everyone too young to remember Brucie Grobelaar ?!

I also badly wanted Karius, we both said it plenty of times before we signed him, and yes he was very good in Germany.

The thing I don't understand though, is that Klopp has suddenly decided that we have to play out from the back every single time and Karius was/is not extremely comfortable on the ball. I thought distribution was actually the worst part of his game in Germany, yet he was Klopp's first choice to implement that tactic.

He's a very talented goalkeeper and contrary to what he's shown thus far, he's actually very confident and composed and he'll start showing his qualities soon enough, but if Klopp's goal is to squeeze teams and have a keeper that can be like another outfield player, Karius isn't the first keeper I would have thought of to implement that tactic.

At this point I'll just settle for a goalkeeper who saves some shots. Not too bothered about the technical ins & outs and will ignore Bar charts, Venn diagrams & Pie charts at this juncture.

Since the latter Reina-era we have been stuck in Dante's sixth circle of hell letting in a  goal every time the opposition get in our half, so baby steps.

At this point I'll just settle for a goalkeeper who saves some shots. Not too bothered about the technical ins & outs and will ignore Bar charts, Venn diagrams & Pie charts at this juncture.

Since the latter Reina-era we have been stuck in Dante's sixth circle of hell letting in a goal every time the opposition get in our half, so baby steps.

Yup, I would've been happier had we got Heaton for example. He's having a terrific season.

Yup, I would've been happier had we got Heaton for example. He's having a terrific season.

Of course, I remember all those posts you made in the summer championing Tom Heaton. It was like, day after day "we've got to sign Tom Heaton", you couldn't shut the fuck up about the guy. Fair play, you called it.

• Upvote 1

Of course, I remember all those posts you made in the summer championing Tom Heaton. It was like, day after day "we've got to sign Tom Heaton", you couldn't shut the fuck up about the guy. Fair play, you called it.

Err.. I'm a supporter, not a scout. It's not really my job to know all them random footballers. Barely watched the Championship last season, but from the games I've seen of Heaton this season he looked quality... much more assured than both of our goalies.

From a defensive point of view, most goals are because of a sequence of small mistakes. Their second goal yesterday started with Can's poor clearance, Moreno allowing the cross to come in, and Lovren getting beat in the air. There may have been other smaller factors too, but there were at least three small mistakes that led to the goal.

Not so the first goal. That was completely on Lovren. His mistake was so laughable that to put the blame at the feet of Karius is wide of the mark, for me at least. If Karius stays on his line he makes the goal big, and it's an easy finish either side of him. So he rushes out. But really he has no chance, as Lovren's slice is right into the path of their player. So what's Karius to do? Well, he has two options. He could continue the German goalkeeping tradition started by Harald Schumacher in 1982, when he came out and took Battiston's head off! But come on, look at how handsome Karius is! Do we really think he's got that sort of streak about him? So the second option was to come out and try to make himself big, in a move made famous by Peter Schmeichel. To make yourself big you try to go like a starfish, with arms either up or out to the side. Karius had his arms out sideways and the fella lobbed it over him. There was nothing he could have done about that one for me, and the mistake was so bad by Lovren that the goal was down to him.

So what of Karius overall? He made a few saves yesterday which were saves he should have made, but it was nice to see him get his gloves on them and keep them out. He also caught a few crosses too. And he can kick it way beyond the halfway line when he puts his foot through it - I'd guess 10-15 yards further than Mignolet. He plays at the edge of the area and in a way is like an extra defender. He gets lots of touches and passes it first time more often than not, but this means there is a mistake or two as not even accomplished outfield players have 100% pass accuracy. Still, this needs a bit of work, and he pulled one or two mid range kicks too, and sent them into the stands. It was a bit like watching a dodgy golfer hook the ball, so there is work for him to do to improve there.

I'm chilled about Karius though. I can see there's a player there and he's still finding his feet with us. Klopp hopefully took a bit of pressure off by going public with the pecking order. If Karius builds on this start, and I think he will, then he could well go on to be a very good goalie for us for years to come.

• Upvote 2