You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How long can we carrry a player like Sterling?

Code

I agree,to a point.

I just keep thinking of all these lauded young British players who are touted as world beaters and then end up going through the motions while getting big fat contracts and moving from club to club.

Style wise Sterling looks like Aaron Lennon,Andros Townsend and Shaun Wright Philips. I hope for his sake he doesn't develop into a player anything like them at all.

I think he's better than them all. He's more intelligent on the pitch, is capable of some really clever passes. Lennon, Townsend etc. don't have that level of vision or the technique to pull of really good passes. Sterling delivers a final better product. His main weakness is his finishing but he has time to improve.

I agree,to a point.

I just keep thinking of all these lauded young British players who are touted as world beaters and then end up going through the motions while getting big fat contracts and moving from club to club.

Style wise Sterling looks like Aaron Lennon,Andros Townsend and Shaun Wright Philips. I hope for his sake he doesn't develop into a player anything like them at all.

Thats a woeful comparison, he's nothing like them at all.

• Upvote 1

I think he's better than them all. He's more intelligent on the pitch, is capable of some really clever passes. Lennon, Townsend etc. don't have that level of vision or the technique to pull of really good passes. Sterling delivers a final better product. His main weakness is his finishing but he has time to improve.

Surround him with better players (like last season) and he will flourish, not that I think we will and he'll be gone in a few years.

You may be right (and I think you probably are). But had the other three played alongside Suarez, Sturridge, and Gerrard, they might have looked significantly better...

• 2 weeks later...

Is rumoured to have turned down the club's latest increased offer and is holding out for £100k a week.

Makes rodgers look a bit silly when he's been saying the deal is 'very close' and will soon be tied up.

Looks like the club is going to have to bite the bullet and give him the £100k. But, you can see how this is going to go in 2 years time. What's he going to be wanting then and would the club pay it or decide to move him on.

While I think sterling is a talent, he sometimes flatters to deceive. Have to be honest and say I dont think he's a £100k a week footballer either.

And that makes them any less correct? rodgers has been banging on about this deal being tied up soon for a long time.

Obviously, people can make their own mind up about the accuracy of the source of the report. The fact this deal is dragging on and on shows its not going as quickly as the club would like or publicise it.

Look forward to selling him next summer as his contract runs down.

I hate modern football. Players being able to hold clubs to ransom but equally from his point of view why shouldn't he hold out for more? It's the market we live in.

Guess it's about priorities does he wanted play or is he need the money and just simply move to another club on a wedge and sit on the bench.

From my position if want to play football as to be honest is there really much difference to your lifestyle if you earn 70k or 100k a week?

if johnson is supposed to be worth the 100k 3 year deal  (and we all know he aint worth it) then you can understand why sterling wont sign for less  

Not sure where people are getting this new 3 year contract for johnson is £100k a week. All reports I've seen are the deal on the table is £60k a week tops (still think its too much myself).

None of these players should be earning what they are, but they are....a key player in a top 4-6 side will expect 100k a week in the stupid times we live in.

Sterling has become a key player here so due to the stupidity of the game these days he now expects that kind of money....if we don't pay it him somebody else will.

Modern football.... Shite

• Upvote 2

I'd give him 100k per week. Look on any list of valuable players and Sterling is up there. He is an important and valuable asset and that must be protected. It makes sense from a business sense to pay him the money. 

As for it making sense from a footballing perspective, again, it very much does. He's a key player for us. Of course he's not the finish article, but he's still a key player and will likely only get better and better. 

A player on the up who is looking for more money? Good problem. 

A player on the down who is already on too much money and has too long of a contract? Bad problem. 

This is a good problem to solve. We can, and should fix it ASAP!

• Upvote 6

We didn't really help ourselves to be honest. We let go of our best player and surrounded him with players he is better at football than, of course he'd want a salary increase. He's become a key player and now he wants key players wages, which is fair enough.

• Upvote 2