You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How long can we carrry a player like Sterling?

Code

Football wise Raheem will get the most game time with us.

But financially, Chelsea, City and Man U don't blink at £200k salaries and can offer CL football with the added image and commercial deals which come with it.

Brendan has done a good job with him, hopefully that will count for something.

Raheem could go and get his 100k or a bit more at another club but if he is not a regular that is not going to help his value improve or help him when it comes to negotiating contracts in the future.

He will be a regular if he stays here and in 2-3 years after this contract can start getting more if he continues to improve, his value will also increase meaning his agent gets a bigger pay off from it.

He would make more in the long run staying here imo while a move would be a quice pay rise but could harm his future potential earnings.

• Downvote 1

Frankly, what we should do here is simple.  Give him a date and tell him that either the contract is signed, or he can fuck off for a fair market price.  I want to keep the lad, he has a big future here, but not at any price.

Two reasons for it; the first one is that no matter how good he is, no 20 year old player or his parasite fucking agent should be holding a club like ours over a barrel - if his agent is as shit-hot as he seems to think he is he can spend the next few months trying to find a club that will pay what we want for Sterling and offer him a better deal than whatever we have.

The second one is that it's the thin end of the wedge for a club in our situation where our entire transfer strategy seems to be based on bringing on young up and coming talent.  Give one of them a massive contract when they put in a good season and soon we'll be giving everybody the same, or having five or six players leave every season which completely negates the point of trimming the wage bill in the first place.  Also what happens when we do bid for an established players and we have kids on £100k+ a week?

Agents constantly agitating for improved contracts every time their players manage to put their boots on the right feet are the single biggest drain on finances in the game these days and in turn, one of the major reasons that people are being expected to find more money to go see a game.  When you hear them talk about their business strategy, they are just complete fucking parasites; personally if there was any way to get them out of the game completely and just have them represent their players for non-club commercial endorsements, with some central body (for example the PFA as player's union) representing them in pay negotiations, I'd probably support it.

So tired of this shit.

• Upvote 5

So, afterall, it wasn't his agent, going public again, as falsely assumed with the Torygraph leaks (tiny cocked Ayre was responsible for that) a month ago, but it is FSG's spokesman, oh sorry, I meant our manager Brendan Rodgers....

So much for doing everything behind closed doors, the Liverpool way etc....

Even if he signs a new contract, he will be sold for profit in a couple of seasons.

Frankly, what we should do here is simple.  Give him a date and tell him that either the contract is signed, or he can fuck off for a fair market price.  I want to keep the lad, he has a big future here, but not at any price.

Two reasons for it; the first one is that no matter how good he is, no 20 year old player or his parasite fucking agent should be holding a club like ours over a barrel - if his agent is as shit-hot as he seems to think he is he can spend the next few months trying to find a club that will pay what we want for Sterling and offer him a better deal than whatever we have.

The second one is that it's the thin end of the wedge for a club in our situation where our entire transfer strategy seems to be based on bringing on young up and coming talent.  Give one of them a massive contract when they put in a good season and soon we'll be giving everybody the same, or having five or six players leave every season which completely negates the point of trimming the wage bill in the first place.  Also what happens when we do bid for an established players and we have kids on £100k+ a week?

Agents constantly agitating for improved contracts every time their players manage to put their boots on the right feet are the single biggest drain on finances in the game these days and in turn, one of the major reasons that people are being expected to find more money to go see a game.  When you hear them talk about their business strategy, they are just complete fucking parasites; personally if there was any way to get them out of the game completely and just have them represent their players for non-club commercial endorsements, with some central body (for example the PFA as player's union) representing them in pay negotiations, I'd probably support it.

So tired of this shit.

Well said. The only problem would be the likes of Real, city and chelsea would tell him through his agent to sit out his contract or at least the next year, then they'd offer us a pittance while giving him what his agent thinks he's worth.

As you say, its all due to the position the club finds itself in.

Sterling is the best player in the world under the age of 21. Of course the likes of Real Madrid are going to have some interest in him

Behave! The lad couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo six times out of ten and has the decision making skills of Stevie Wonder in a fun house. The lad is a very good player and could be great one day, but that's about it, the way things are shaping up a lot could go wrong with him too I reckon, attitude wise.

• Upvote 3

Behave! The lad couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo six times out of ten and has the decision making skills of Stevie Wonder in a fun house. The lad is a very good player and could be great one day, but that's about it, the way things are shaping up a lot could go wrong with him too I reckon, attitude wise.

Yep spot on.

We'll see who's in for him in 6 months time. I can guarantee he'll have the worlds elite clubs chasing after him.

We'll see who's in for him in 6 months time. I can guarantee he'll have the worlds elite clubs chasing after him.

Maybe, nothing surprises me these days, but Owen was three times the player and was little more than a journeyman supersub for Madrid. Sterling in the Barca team trying to play that brand of footy would struggle badly.

Chelsea and city certainly, for the homegrown players component and the billy big bollocks 'we can buy your players' aspect alone.

If Sterling played for Arsenal though we'd all be calling him badly overrated.

Maybe, nothing surprises me these days, but Owen was three times the player and was little more than a journeyman supersub for Madrid. Sterling in the Barca team trying to play that brand of footy would struggle badly.

Chelsea and city certainly, for the homegrown players component and the billy big bollocks 'we can buy your players' aspect alone.

If Sterling played for Arsenal though we'd all be calling him badly overrated.

He's still a kid, mate. It sounds like you're expecting him to have Suarez-level performances week in week out. He's been absolutely fantastic for us in the last 12 months and has been our best player by miles in that period. I'm not saying he's the finished article because he has a long way to go but he has all the potential to go and and become one of the top players in world football. I can't think of anyone in the same age bracket who has outperformed sterling in the past 12-18 months.

• Upvote 4

We could argue all day whether he can hit a cow's arse 6 times out of 10 or go into madrid \ barcelona \ city \ chelsea etc etc's team. Im sure all would tell him and his frigin agent what they'd want to hear while being given the 100k a week we're dithering over.

If Sterling gets 100k a week he'll have to perform week in and week out otherwise it'll be THE stick to beat him with forever and a day.

If FSG have got a wage structure and, when G&H were here that's all something we were quite happy to see - the club living within its means - then if they won't break it for an established international, why should they break it for him?

A player who's had two half seasons of good football under - credit where it's due - a manager who's made him the player he is - trying to play hard ball at age 20 is a joke, that's nothing to do with us and our ambition, that's purely him and his fucking Saul Goodman agent being a pair of opportunistic cunts.

People are always on here, myself included, complaining they don't like football as much as they did, well this is why. The more you compromise in order to win, the more the soul of what you were actually drawn to in the first place is diminished until eventually, even if it's subconsciously, none of us will give a flying fuck.

• Upvote 2