You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How long can we carrry a player like Sterling?

Code

• 2 months later...

Well with Stevie waning, looks like its going to fall to Sterling to carry us for the next few years unless something changes.

I feel for the lad if that's the case.

Ive viewed Sterling as Lfcs future star since watching him play in the youth teams, he was what we were looking for for years on the wing and Im delighted he is going to sign a new deal.

He has good attacking players around him he just needs a fast striker to work off, hopefully in two or three years we have kicked on enough to be in a position to fight off the big clubs that will be coming in for Sterling.

Ive viewed Sterling as Lfcs future star since watching him play in the youth teams, he was what we were looking for for years on the wing and Im delighted he is going to sign a new deal.

He has good attacking players around him he just needs a fast striker to work off, hopefully in two or three years we have kicked on enough to be in a position to fight off the big clubs that will be coming in for Sterling.

That's the depressing thing though, what'll happen in a few years? Will we go through this process again and will the end result be the same or a parting of the way albeit with a massive fee for the lad?

That's the depressing thing though, what'll happen in a few years? Will we go through this process again and will the end result be the same or a parting of the way albeit with a massive fee for the lad?

Ultimately it depends on the player, all the club can do is make us as competitive as possible and surround him with the best players we can afford. Fortunately he's been living in England since he was 5 and identifies as English (footballing wise anyway), now I know that doesn't necessarily mean a damn thing, but if we're competing at the top level and paying relatively nice wages to those who've earned them it might mean he isn't as likely to bolt for Spain.

If of course we fuck it all away then yes, he'll be off, albeit with a massive fee for him.

Ultimately it depends on the player, all the club can do is make us as competitive as possible and surround him with the best players we can afford. Fortunately he's been living in England since he was 5 and identifies as English (footballing wise anyway), now I know that doesn't necessarily mean a damn thing, but if we're competing at the top level and paying relatively nice wages to those who've earned them it might mean he isn't as likely to bolt for Spain.

If of course we fuck it all away then yes, he'll be off, albeit with a massive fee for him.

Hmm the bit "all the club can do is make us as competitive as possible and surround him with the best players we can afford" doesnt fill me with confidence!

Shouldn't this thread be blown into oblivion, like the meff who created it.

That made me chuckle.

I'd have let him stay for another 5 days. He's played more games than any topflight player this season.

Should have been rested in the league cup this season.

Can't take to Sterling, dunno why. I'm sure he'd be devastated.

It's got a feeling of the Owen's about it. Quality player obviously but he just seems like he's not arsed about us at all. In fact this summer when Gerrard leaves will be the first year were we'll have zero first team players that have any affinity to the club whatsoever. Thats why it's so important to blood the likes of Flanagan and Rossiter into the first team, otherwise the identity is lost.

• Upvote 2

Can't take to Sterling, dunno why. I'm sure he'd be devastated.

I agree,to a point.

I just keep thinking of all these lauded young British players who are touted as world beaters and then end up going through the motions while getting big fat contracts and moving from club to club.

Style wise Sterling looks like Aaron Lennon,Andros Townsend and Shaun Wright Philips. I hope for his sake he doesn't develop into a player anything like them at all.

I agree,to a point.

I just keep thinking of all these lauded young British players who are touted as world beaters and then end up going through the motions while getting big fat contracts and moving from club to club.

Style wise Sterling looks like Aaron Lennon,Andros Townsend and Shaun Wright Philips. I hope for his sake he doesn't develop into a player anything like them at all.

he will if he leaves us.