You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

It really sends a shiver down my spine to remember how low the club had got to then, they really were dark days in terms of the state of the club & the football we were playing does anyone want to remember that home defeat by the mighty Wolves, where we are today is pretty much down to the stability FSG & Brendan have brought to club

I think King Kenny played a big part our recovery too.
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Roy Hodgson believes England are a match for world champions Germany, despite the Three Lions' woeful display at the World Cup.

England endured their worst World Cup ever, failing to make it out of their group and left Brazil embarrassed and without a win.

But Hodgson believes there is very little to separate his England flops with the German team who left after clinching the ultimate prize.

He told Sky Sports: 'I don't believe in the nonsense spoken about the identity of certain countries and how they play. I don't see the vast amount of difference between how we try and the way Germany try to play.

'Now there is a major difference between the 11 players in the German shirt and the 11 players in the England shirt. But if we are talking about how they attack and build up their attacks, or how they keep possession and seek for openings when they have got the ball, I don't see a vast amount of difference in philosophy or style. 

'And the same defensively. I don't see what they are trying to do to keep compact to put pressure on the ball, to try and keep the team united close together, to block crosses. I don't see the great difference in philosophy there either.

'If ever you want to know about the small margins in football and the fact that it is anything other than an exact science, that random things that happen in the game makes all the difference, I could give you six or seven examples from the World Cup that made winners into losers and vice-versa.' 

Hodgson never considered quitting in the wake of England's disappointing campaign. 

He was immediately backed by FA chairman Greg Dyke and is now back in office planning for the Euro 2016 qualifiers. 

'There have been plenty of dark moments, times where looking back you don't believe fate has put you in that situation,' he added.

'But the fact is that I would quite happily relinquish this job any time my employers think they don't want me any more, or when I feel the players don't have the respect necessary or feel they don't want to continue playing for me. In that moment if it's time for me to walk away I will do, but this time it was made clear to me that wasn't the situation.

'The FA wanted me to continue in the job, the feedback from the people around the team was the same, therefore there was never any doubt in my mind that I would continue.'

I can't believe how he continues to get away with playing the role of passenger, unable to believe the cards he's being dealt.

It's all down to that Germany have a better 11 and more luck. Never mind shoehorning players in that have big names but don't turn up, at the expense of young, talented, and supremely motivated young players.

The man is a cunt. Not sure whether anyone has mentioned that up to this point. But he definitely is. A cunt.

• Upvote 4

I was genuinely staggered at the press following the Italy game in the world cup. Apart from an exciting opening few minutes - which basically was all down to Sterling running with them at pace - I thought it was a typical Hodgson performance. It was devoid of pressing and urgency, and it looked like Henderson was deployed about fifteen yards further back than he is at Liverpool.

Yet following the game, all the talk was of how exciting a performance it was, and how much credit Hodgson deserved for. This wasn't even revised when it slowly dawned on people that we still lost, and to a largely abysmal Italy side.

• Upvote 1

Would someone please ask Roy that if it is all down to quality of squad, and not the manager, how did Costa Rica win the group? Also, if he doesn't make a difference to the squad, what is the £4m a year for?

The people who would ask those questions obviously do not work for the British media or the FA.

• Upvote 1

Watched his interview on SSN this morning and it's depressing how he hasn't been rightly taken to task for England's abysmal World Cup showing.  The man is a complete fraud, who is getting hugely paid for the privilege.  Staggering how he keeps getting away with it.  Nothing is ever his fault.  The cunt

• Upvote 1

Hodgson basically hijacked Liverpool's narrative from last year, essentially of being a work in progress filled with young attacking talent that went for broke and tried to entertain, the one main difference being that we nearly won the league and England were humiliated. The bit doesn't seem to have made it into the story though.

• Upvote 2

Hodgson basically hijacked Liverpool's narrative from last year, essentially of being a work in progress filled with young attacking talent that went for broke and tried to entertain, the one main difference being that we nearly won the league and England were humiliated. The bit doesn't seem to have made it into the story though.

I think you have it. The hacks were saying that England should play like Liverpool, so when Hodgson filled his team with Liverpool players that meant they could hardly have a go at him when it didn't work out. The fact that Hodgson's England played nothing like Rodgers' Liverpool seems to have escaped them.

• Upvote 2

Rooney was abysmal against Italy in both the last game of the Euros and the first game of the world cup. Any manager worth his salt would have dropped him. Instead, Rooney was played in his 'best' position in the next game at the expense of Sterling who had been England's best player. Scholes was right about Hodgson.

• Upvote 2

He either a) believes his own shite implicitly, in which case he's borderline senility, or b) he's pulling the ultimate blag job and pissing himself at home every night at how the FA have so easily accepted the absolute humiliation of the World Cup and still make him a millionaire.

Frankly, I don't know which one's worse. 

• Upvote 1

The man is stealing a living. I blame the media. They're supposed to hold people like this to account. An MP claims 37p for a stamp, and they're all over that shit, but Hodgson perpetrates mass fraud on an entire nation, and there's collective blindness.

• Upvote 2

I still have no idea how he got the job in the first place!

The shit thing is Englands Euro 2016 group is so easy even Woy won't fuck it up.

England, Switzerland, Slovenia, Estonia, Lithuania and San Marino.

Top two qualify automatically plus best placed third team remaining third place teams go in to play-offs.

Even at the 2016 tournament they have made it easier.

Six groups of four with top two going through and best four third placed teams! 

Woy will get to the knock out stages by default and we will all have to watch whilst he revels in it!

Rooney was abysmal against Italy in both the last game of the Euros and the first game of the world cup. Any manager worth his salt would have dropped him. Instead, Rooney was played in his 'best' position in the next game at the expense of Sterling who had been England's best player. Scholes was right about Hodgson.

Come on now he does take a good corner....

MilkyIncompatibleDeermouse.gif

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hodgson has picked his England squads for the upcoming friendly match and Euro 2016 qualifier by naming Rooney as captain and picking a few uncapped players. He actually said the following about Jack Colback too:

Hodgson said: "I spoke to someone who knows him well and he called him the 'Ginger Pirlo' and it would be nice if he turned out like that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28965978