You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

How on earth are these absurd fictions still being perpetuated, even in articles ostensibly critical of Hodgson? He constantly revealed himself to be a prickly, self-regarding, cantankerous wanker while he was with us.

Spot on. I must admit, this was my impression of him too before he came to Liverpool.

The media's backing of him despite England's worst World Cup performance since 1958 is nothing short of baffling.

I feel like Frank Grimes in that Simpsons episode, where he's the only person in Springfield to pick up on the fact that Homer's a bumbling oaf.

• Upvote 3

Fifa world rankings

1 Germany

2 Argentina

3 Holland

4 Colombia

5 Belgium

6 Uruguay

7 Brazil

8 Spain

9 Switzerland

10 France

11 Portugal

12 Chile

13 Greece

14 Italy

15 USA

16 Costa Rica

17 Croatia

18 Mexico

19 Bosnia-Herzegovina

20 England

original.gif?1340569802

Fifa world rankings

1 Germany

2 Argentina

3 Holland

4 Colombia

5 Belgium

6 Uruguay

7 Brazil

8 Spain

9 Switzerland

10 France

11 Portugal

12 Chile

13 Greece

14 Italy

15 USA

16 Costa Rica

17 Croatia

18 Mexico

19 Bosnia-Herzegovina

20 England

original.gif?1340569802

That's not even a Top 20 face palming. He saved his best for us.

I love the one where he keeps watching like a mong and then just hangs his head when the opposition scores.

EDIT:

Here you go.

PlushUniformBarebirdbat.gif

I posted this about that gif a few weeks back:

Somewhere there's a care home nurse facing a disciplinary hearing for negligence. Hodgson looks like an old fella from a nursing home that has walked out the front door without anyone noticing to go and sit at the bus stop up the road, wondering what all the big noisy things whizzing past are before losing interest and needing a nap.
  • Upvote 1

England are in need of a younger, tactically astute manager, who can grow and mature alongside a core of younger talented players. Sadly for the FA, there are only three plying their trade in the PL  who spring immediately to mind - Rodgers, The Poch, and Martinez - and none of them are likely to be available soon.

England are in need of a younger, tactically astute manager, who can grow and mature alongside a core of younger talented players. Sadly for the FA, there are only three plying their trade in the PL  who spring immediately to mind - Rodgers, The Poch, and Martinez - and none of them are likely to be available soon.

And none are English.

• Upvote 1

Yes. That appears to be their other fixation.

I have said the same about England needing a young talented manager such as Rodgers or Martinez . To be fair there are some decent young players in that squad that could, if inspired and given some self belief , go on and achieve something at international level. When you look at the players USA and Costa Rica had to choose from and its glaringly fucking obvious the issue is the useless old fart camped in the dug-out,  I swear Tony fucking Pulis could have got a better shift out of those players than Hodgson in Brasil.

Unacceptable doesn't even start to describe his abject failure yet the expectations had been been stage managed to such a low level a close game against Italy was all that was needed to keep the mob at bay. Even with bar set at ground level Hodgson managed to worm his way under it .I don't the answer but i know its not him so start by fucking him off and throwing the net out as wide as possible . 

• Upvote 2

No idea why they are obsessed with having an English manager or why they believe that they should pay £4m a year. For that price, you could choose from a wide array of very talented managers, or you could reduce the pay to £1m if you insist on the current crop of English shit

• Upvote 4

I don't think that age comes into it- see LVG.

The obvious shortfall for English candidates is a lack of experience abroad, and I suspect that Rodgers would want to have a crack at a top continental club before he considered international management.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Four years now since he fumbled his way into Anfield. If we'd shown a bit more faith he'd easily have got us to 20th by now.

I genuinely belive if he, Hicks and Gillett were still at the club, Liverpool Football Club 2013 would be in the nether regions of english football, we'd all be supporting AFC Liverpool and our fanbase would have shrunk fairly significantly.

It really sends a shiver down my spine to remember how low the club had got to then, they really were dark days in terms of the state of the club & the football we were playing does anyone want to remember that home defeat by the mighty Wolves, where we are today is pretty much down to the stability FSG & Brendan have brought to club

That would be Van Gaal who was fired from Bayern Munich for forcing players out of position in a display of tactical intransigence that took them out of CL places?

Oh, and negged for using LVG

The same LVG who, alongside Maureen, is the most accomplished Euro manager around.

Holland are an Ok side who were superbly coached by a very savvy manager.

The same LVG who, alongside Maureen, is the most accomplished Euro manager around.

Holland are an Ok side who were superbly coached by a very savvy manager.

Hitzfeld, Trapattoni, Lippi, Guardiola, Del Bosque, Capello and Ancelotti are all more accomplished Xerxes.

• Upvote 2

The FA should publish their report into the WC, it's a fucking disgrace that a team with some pretty good players were so fucking shocking. We get shitty platitudes from Woy and the FA when the wage bill for them is likely to run to £7m. They've failed for years but manage to roll through and be there to fuck up again.

Harry Redknapp believes England need to stop trying to emulate other international teams and focus on creating their own footballing identity, the Queens Park Rangers manager said on Friday.

ESPN Brasil has been running a panel show they did with Paul Breitner in 2013 - not sure exactly when but before Neymar signed with Barcelona. The reason is how prescient he was about the World Cup, predicting big things for Germany and mocking the state of Brazilian football, calling it the football of the past and giving his reasons why. He kept maintaining that 'fast moving, aggressive, pressing' football, emulating the Barcelona style, had been Germany's goal since they flopped in 2004 Euros and they were then just coming into the style after implementing it at youth level (12-14) 6-8 years before.

That's kind of how we play - what Breitner calls modern football. England don't play it, and never will if they don't realize that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

• Upvote 1