You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (Sep 4-8 2023)

tlw content

image.jpeg

Monday Sep 4:

Trent is out of the England squad and is expected to be out for two weeks. In other words, he’s out until our next game. Hopefully that’s the case anyway and this is purely about him getting out of England duty. If it’s not and he misses our next game, who plays right back? Gomez will be needed in the centre so who else is there? I keep thinking about this and can’t come up with anyone, so then I think it’s just me being old and I must be forgetting someone obvious, but I’m not am I? We genuinely have no other alternative aside from Gomez? Crazy.

Staying with the international break, and Big Red Ron has kicked off about Gravenberch not showing up for Holland. This is an absolute fucking joke. He’s a lad who has a dozen or so senior caps and a shitload of under 21 appearances. He just played for the u21s in the summer tournament and that really should have been the end of his career at that level. He has literally just moved to another country three days ago and needs to find a house and sort out all sorts of other things. He pulled out of the u21s to get all of that sorted and Koeman is hammering him, the silly fat tit. Trying to make it up to the Blues after his red Crimbo tree.

Meanwhile, it looks like that Antony cunt is going the way of Greenwood. Police in Brazil are investigating him after an ex girlfriend reported him for all manner of cuntish things. I’m shocked, I mean he looks like such a nice lad doesn’t he? Seriously, finding out he’s a real piece of work is the least surprising thing ever. I can spot twats a mile off, I’ve got a sixth sense for it and I’m hardly ever wrong. Man United should probably hire me to vet all of their potential signings, I’d save them a fortune. Because they paid £90m for this turd and pretty soon they’ll be suspending him and eventually letting him leave for free, like the other scumbag.

Tell you what, Ryan Giggs is lucky there was no social media when he was in his pomp or he’d have been kicked out at 21, the horrible fucking walking carpet.

Saw a report linking us with Mitoma as a replacement for Mo when he eventually leaves. Not really a surprise as he’s one of the best players in the league these days, but what did surprise me is that he’s 26. Honestly, I thought was about 22. He’s only been at Brighton a year or so, so where the fuck did they pluck him from and why was he still playing there at 25? Weird. He’s the Japanese Jamie Vardy.

View full article

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

I had to reign myself in as I could easily have written ten times more than that on him. I could have dissected that interview question by question because every single answer he gave was the exact opposite of what he should have been saying. Genuinely staggering to me. He's thick as fuck and his advisors must be even worse if they thought that was a good idea.

• Upvote 11

A couple of comments here:

1. Hendo did not say that money was not a factor in his move. He clearly stated that money was part of his decision:

People can believe me or not, but in my life and my career, money has never been a motivation. Ever. Don’t get me wrong, when you move, the business deal has to be tight. You have to have financials, you have to feel wanted, you have to feel valued. And money is a part of that. But that wasn’t the sole reason. And these possibilities came up before money was even mentioned.

2. The Saudi club that signed Demarai Gray is not the same club that wanted Mo. The two transfers were completely independent of each other. The club that signed Gray is not even a PIF club.

• Downvote 2

4 hours ago, Jurgen Knows said:

1. Hendo did not say that money was not a factor in his move. He clearly stated that money was part of his decision:

2. The Saudi club that signed Demarai Gray is not the same club that wanted Mo. The two transfers were completely independent of each other. The club that signed Gray is not even a PIF club.

1. He denied that he went just for the money when that's exactly what he did. You think he's subjecting himself to all of this because he fancied the change of lifestyle and playing in front of three thousand fans at home games? 

2. I never said it was the same club. I never mentioned any specific clubs because that would mean I give enough of a shit to be able to differentiate between them. I don't and I never will. I'm referencing the collective, because that's the relevant thing here. Individual teams matter almost as little in this as they do with the golf.

When I talk about the bullshit stories to keep them in the news cycle and how that's what 90% of all these rumours are about, I wasn't referring to whoever it is that wants Mo, I was talking about the strategy of the league itself and how they're following their LIV Golf playbook. 

They were telling anyone who'd listen that Mo Salah was joining their League and some high profile talking heads bought into it and embarrassed themselves. And who did they get to join their league on deadline day? Some lad Everton were desperate to get shut of.

20 minutes ago, dave u said:

1. He denied that he went just for the money when that's exactly what he did. You think he's subjecting himself to all of this because he fancied the change of lifestyle and playing in front of three thousand fans at home games? 

You “think” that money was the only factor. He never said that.

You also suggest that he claimed money was not a factor, and argue that he should have offered himself to Sunderland if that was the case, completely ignoring the fact that he clearly stated that money was indeed one of the factors.

You are reacting to what you “think”was the case rather than what he actually said.

Nothing wrong with that of course. But let’s not pretend he said something he didn’t.

2. I never said it was the same club. I never mentioned any specific clubs because that would mean I give enough of a shit to be able to differentiate between them. I don't and I never will.

Is anyone forcing you to give a shit? 

I'm referencing the collective, because that's the relevant thing here. Individual teams matter almost as little in this as they do with the golf.

20 minutes ago, dave u said:When I talk about the bullshit stories to keep them in the news cycle and how that's what 90% of all these rumours are about, I wasn't referring to whoever it is that wants Mo, I was talking about the strategy of the league itself and how they're following their LIV Golf playbook. 

They were telling anyone who'd listen that Mo Salah was joining their League and some high profile talking heads bought into it and embarrassed themselves. And who did they get to join their league on deadline day? Some lad Everton were desperate to get shut of.

Ettifaq were delighted with signing Gray. He was not a consolation prize for them like you “think”. They were actually gloating about the fact that Ettihad failed to sign Salah. In fact, there were more people in Saudi gloating about Ettihad’s failure than disappointed with it.

You think of it as a “collective” when in reality it is far from being one. Ettifaq are not even one of the PIF clubs.

Of course it is completely up to you if you want to react based on what you “think” has happened rather than what actually happened.

If it makes you feel better then why not?

• Downvote 4

"and if he’s playing every week he’s going to run through everyone like a dose of salts this season." 

I hear you Dave, our boy Darwin (he's my boy as well) is definitely going to go through everyone this season like a laxative - just like how Del Boy Derek Chisora - once put it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp8yqQLE4UA

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Jurgen Knows said:

You “think” that money was the only factor. He never said that.

You also suggest that he claimed money was not a factor, and argue that he should have offered himself to Sunderland if that was the case, completely ignoring the fact that he clearly stated that money was indeed one of the factors.

You are reacting to what you “think”was the case rather than what he actually said.

Nothing wrong with that of course. But let’s not pretend he said something he didn’t.

Is anyone forcing you to give a shit? 

Ettifaq were delighted with signing Gray. He was not a consolation prize for them like you “think”. They were actually gloating about the fact that Ettihad failed to sign Salah. In fact, there were more people in Saudi gloating about Ettihad’s failure than disappointed with it.

You think of it as a “collective” when in reality it is far from being one. Ettifaq are not even one of the PIF clubs.

Of course it is completely up to you if you want to react based on what you “think” has happened rather than what actually happened.

If it makes you feel better then why not?

That you, Prince bin Salman?

• Upvote 2

If the question is 'who advised him to do that interview?', possibly the same people who advised Prince Andrew on his BBC Pizzagate interview, with the same kind of outcomes and levels of credibility.

Going back to his home club, Sunderland, to lead and mentor a young group of players, would have been a very noble  move, if his ego didn't like the idea of not playing every week. Milner is not playing every week at Brighton, but you can bet he's having more fun, and being more fulfilled in his leadership role, than Henderson is, playing with a load of wannabes and journeymen, in front of 3000 every week. And although losing the club captain, having already lost Milner, for said leadership roles, it would've been seen as an honourable and understandable thing to do, and at the same time, also proving that it 'wasn't about the money'. He would have gone with good will and good grace, with fans and pundits singing the praises of 'Hendo doing the right thing' as only he can.

Subsequently, none of the betrayal of the LGBTQ+ Community, Human Rights abuses, and all of the other hypocritical bullshit he's come out with would ever have happened in the first place, and preserving his legacy as a a captain who won every trophy it was possible to win in the space of two seasons.

Some friends have said to me that 'Gerrard loves Liverpool', 'he had nothing to do with that transfer', 'would never do anything to hurt the club', and is innocent in all of this, but I'm not having that. He was only in the job a week, himself, but that was only after what would've been a lot of background wrangling, some of which would've been discussions about who he could get to sign. Gerrard's involvement and agitating in this movement is another source of anger and annoyance. Why, if he loves Liverpool FC so much, would he be making moves to attempt to sign the club captain at a time of such great change?

One of his utterances of self justification bears more than a passing resemblance to some hackneyed bullshit from the Bloos #WeGrowThe Game

• Upvote 4

On 12/09/2023 at 16:35, RedHeadedRed said:

Didn't realise Henderson did an interview, Jesus that reads terribly what a fucking plonker. Most footballers are thick stupid so it's a perfect industry for sportswashing. Lots of gullible morons easily fooled.

yep.  And Henderson himself is just as bad

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chocoholic said:

Some friends have said to me that 'Gerrard loves Liverpool', 'he had nothing to do with that transfer', 'would never do anything to hurt the club', and is innocent in all of this, but I'm not having that. He was only in the job a week, himself, but that was only after what would've been a lot of background wrangling, some of which would've been discussions about who he could get to sign. Gerrard's involvement and agitating in this movement is another source of anger and annoyance. Why, if he loves Liverpool FC so much, would he be making moves to attempt to sign the club captain at a time of such great change?

Maybe he did it because Klopp asked him to! 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Chocoholic said:

If the question is 'who advised him to do that interview?', possibly the same people who advised Prince Andrew on his BBC Pizzagate interview, with the same kind of outcomes and levels of credibility.

Going back to his home club, Sunderland, to lead and mentor a young group of players, would have been a very noble  move, if his ego didn't like the idea of not playing every week. Milner is not playing every week at Brighton, but you can bet he's having more fun, and being more fulfilled in his leadership role, than Henderson is, playing with a load of wannabes and journeymen, in front of 3000 every week. And although losing the club captain, having already lost Milner, for said leadership roles, it would've been seen as an honourable and understandable thing to do, and at the same time, also proving that it 'wasn't about the money'. He would have gone with good will and good grace, with fans and pundits singing the praises of 'Hendo doing the right thing' as only he can.

Subsequently, none of the betrayal of the LGBTQ+ Community, Human Rights abuses, and all of the other hypocritical bullshit he's come out with would ever have happened in the first place, and preserving his legacy as a a captain who won every trophy it was possible to win in the space of two seasons.

One of his utterances of self justification bears more than a passing resemblance to some hackneyed bullshit from the Bloos #WeGrowThe Game

The unwillingness of Henderson to fulfill the Milner role for the next 2+ years is the most disappointing thing to me.

Milner was 1st choice for Klopp until just before the Champions League final in 2019. It was actually Milner, Keita and Fabinho that started in midfield in the 1st leg at the Nou Camp, with Gini up front and Henderson on the bench. Henderson started the 2nd leg with Milner and Fabinho with Gini on the bench (Keita was injured obviously). From that game, Milner was behind those 3 and started taking on a different role at 33 years of age. He reduced his minutes by half after that but regularly played in 20+ games a season. 

Premier League minutes:

2017-18  - 1763 (32 games) 

2018-19  - 1785 (31 games)

2019-20  - 926 (22 games) 

2020-21  - 1060 (26 games)

2021-22  - 843 (24 games)

2022-23  - 893 (31 games)

Henderson could have been involved regularly with the 5 subs rule. He is now 33 years old. Does he think he is above what Milner did, at the same age? 

Is it that he wouldn’t have been selected with England, if he was playing approx 1000 minutes a season with Liverpool? It does not seem to affect Phillips or Maguire. 

Would he have agitated for the move anyway, if he had not been told that his role was being reduced? 

Or was it just the money?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Klopp said: 'Hendo said the truth, in all departments. That's how it was. There‘s not a bit of bad blood or whatever. He is the captain of the most successful team this club saw in the Premier League era and rightly so. He's a sensational player. I wish him only the best and, when he comes here, from my point of view he gets a real farewell, everything. There's nothing to misunderstand from that point of view.'

'We had our talks and I told Hendo I wanted him to stay,' Klopp said. 'But we had to talk in these conversations about the possibility of not playing regularly. I told him we [would] bring in players and stuff like this.

'I cannot have a talk before a season and tell a player they will have 50 games this season, 100 per cent, because I don't know that. It all depends on performance. And if Hendo had performed, he would have had maybe 50 games, absolutely possible.

'Hendo is a fantastic player, I will love him forever, super guy, but he's not great when he's not playing, let me say it like that.

'But anyway, what he said is that if I would have told him: "Hendo, stay here, you will be the main man in midfield", he would have stayed. That's the truth, but I couldn't say that. As much as I wanted him to stay, I couldn't say that. 

5 hours ago, Jurgen Knows said:

Klopp said: 'Hendo said the truth, in all departments. That's how it was. There‘s not a bit of bad blood or whatever. He is the captain of the most successful team this club saw in the Premier League era and rightly so. He's a sensational player. I wish him only the best and, when he comes here, from my point of view he gets a real farewell, everything. There's nothing to misunderstand from that point of view.'

'We had our talks and I told Hendo I wanted him to stay,' Klopp said. 'But we had to talk in these conversations about the possibility of not playing regularly. I told him we [would] bring in players and stuff like this.

'I cannot have a talk before a season and tell a player they will have 50 games this season, 100 per cent, because I don't know that. It all depends on performance. And if Hendo had performed, he would have had maybe 50 games, absolutely possible.

'Hendo is a fantastic player, I will love him forever, super guy, but he's not great when he's not playing, let me say it like that.

'But anyway, what he said is that if I would have told him: "Hendo, stay here, you will be the main man in midfield", he would have stayed. That's the truth, but I couldn't say that. As much as I wanted him to stay, I couldn't say that. 

Not sure what your point is here, it changes nothing and not one word of that is in any way surprising.

In fact, while Klopp says "Hendo said the truth" he then goes on to show that Hendo did not say the truth at all. Only part of it.

He was asked to stay, but he wasn't guaranteed a starting place every week so he took his ball and fucked off for a shitload of cash.

• dave u unpinned this topic
6 hours ago, Jurgen Knows said:

And your point is????

5 hours ago, dave u said:

Not sure what your point is here, it changes nothing and not one word of that is in any way surprising.

The point is to present Klopp’s take on what happened between him and Hendo, especially the points in bold which I felt were very pertinent but not sufficiently highlighted in the article.

In fact, while Klopp says "Hendo said the truth" he then goes on to show that Hendo did not say the truth at all. Only part of it.

I disagree with this. 

He was asked to stay, but he wasn't guaranteed a starting place every week so he took his ball and fucked off for a shitload of cash.

That’s what both of them said. Klopp explained it as such:

'But anyway, what he said is that if I would have told him: "Hendo, stay here, you will be the main man in midfield", he would have stayed. That's the truth, but I couldn't say that. As much as I wanted him to stay, I couldn't say that