You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "Can you explain?" amnesty thread.

Lario

3 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Why when you're watching a film and a car is moving forward the wheels look like they're spinning backwards?

I don’t know if this is definitely right, but I think it’s the Frame rate of the camera vs the speed the wheel is spinning - same for helicopter rotor blades.

camera takes one image every 1/x000 of a second, but the wheel is in constant motion, not moving in blocks of time.

8 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I don’t know if this is definitely right, but I think it’s the Frame rate of the camera vs the speed the wheel is spinning - same for helicopter rotor blades.

camera takes one image every 1/x000 of a second, but the wheel is in constant motion, not moving in blocks of time.

That's right, yeah, the rotation speed of whatever's spinning matches the camera's shutter speed so it appear still, or the speed is a bit faster so it looks like it's going backwards . For example-

On 04/02/2023 at 15:16, Mudface said:

That's right, yeah, the rotation speed of whatever's spinning matches the camera's shutter speed so it appear still, or the speed is a bit faster so it looks like it's going backwards . For example-

It also happens in real life, it's known as the wagon wheel effect.

https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopeners/wheels-appear-spinning-backwards-high-speeds.html

On 03/02/2023 at 20:29, VladimirIlyich said:

Why do fools fall in love? 

Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp?

When we were at school (probably not long after I first got to St Chad's) we had a session to introduce us to the library.  We were given a sheet to fill in and one of the questions asked for a question you might find the answer to in the library.  For a laugh, I wrote "Why must I be a teenager in love?"

Afterwards, a teacher pulled me aside to check that I was OK.

The moral of the story for @Rushies tash is don't feel bad about the occasional whoosh.

• Upvote 1

On 02/02/2023 at 21:42, Rushies tash said:

Just in the middle of remortgaging at the moment (cheers Kwarteng you cunt) so can tell you what I know. A tracker mortgage will follow the Bank of England's base rate of interest plus a bit on top (depending on the lender and the amount you're borrowing etc.) I was offered a rate of 4.19% recently, which was the then base rate of 3.5% plus 0.69%, which the lender put on top. That's gone tits up now with today's rate increase to 4% (meaning that mortgage now has an interest rate of 4.69%) We're probably going to go fixed at 4.35% for two years until all this shit hopefully calms down. Hope that helped mate.

Don't understand why putting everyone's mortgage payments up is "helping the economy" as they keep saying on the news. Surely the only people who benefit are banks and people bot being able to buy houses or have less disposable income gives people less to spend to help the economy.

6 hours ago, Remmie said:

Why do we urinate and jizz out of the same appendage? And want to stick said appendage in the parts of the body that also urinate, menstruate, vomit and shit out of? 

It's easier to have one tube that fulfils two role than it is to have two tubes.

Could be worse, you could shit out of it too, like birds do.