You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton (A) FA Cup 4th Rd - 29/1/23 - 13.30

an tha

After possibly the worst performance the Redmen have turned in under Klopp on our last visit to East Sussex, the chance to extract a measure of revenge comes around almost straight away.

Less of what happened down there recently, Reds, and more of this, ta.....

Maybe not this though....

• Upvote 3

Id rather we jibbed this and still went eyeballs out to try and get 4th or better which is a much, much bigger priority. But, another defeat would just encourage the naysayers and narrative against the club right now.

Jurgen obviously wants and needs to win every game to build the confidence up and Im no different. Think he has to go for the win with a strongish team here.

We aren't in a particularly busy run of games and we desperately need some rhythm and momentum for confidence and games ahead.

The big problem is finding a functioning midfield 3 - there just isn't a combination at the moment that you can put down, look at it and think "yeah that looks good"... Brighton absolutely dominated it last time in every aspect - difficult to see any 3 we might put out faring much better sadly.

I would try the 3 below - does not seem to have been tried much so give them a go - far from ideal, but same can be said of any 3 right now.

Alisson

TAA

Matip

Konate

Robertson

Henderson

Keita

Thiago

Salah

Nunez

Gakpo

5 minutes ago, an tha said:

We aren't in a particularly busy run of games and we desperately need some rhythm and momentum for confidence and games ahead.

The big problem is finding a functioning midfield 3 - there just isn't a combination at the moment that you can put down, look at it and think "yeah that looks good"... Brighton absolutely dominated it last time in every aspect - difficult to see any 3 we might put out faring much better sadly.

I would try the 3 below - does not seem to have been tried much so give them a go - far from ideal, but same can be said of any 3 right now.

Alisson

TAA

Matip

Konate

Robertson

Henderson

Keita

Thiago

Salah

Nunez

Gakpo

No ball winning or pace in that midfield. No pace in any of ours mind but at least Elliot will put a foot in. I'd play Gakpo behind Salah and Nunez go where ever he wants, express yourself show us what you've got. Fuck it 

5 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

No ball winning or pace in that midfield. No pace in any of ours mind but at least Elliot will put a foot in. I'd play Gakpo behind Salah and Nunez go where ever he wants, express yourself show us what you've got. Fuck it 

Aye - as said any 3 write down look at it and just see problems...

It is absolutely unreal we have about 10 midfielders and it is nigh on impossible to put 3 down and think "yeah that works"

Bravery. Intelligence. Ruthlessness. Drive. Skill. Pace. Incision. Tactical nous.

I don't ask for much.

Brighton have looked lively all season, and arguably even more so under De Zerbi. They are much more adept at finding the net than old boss Potter's sides, and that's something that's been quite noticeable with Chelsea under Potter as they don't appear to score very many either.

I'd expect (hope?) this game to be a very different beast to the league game a couple of weeks ago. We've needed a kick up the jacksie for months and I'd like to think that the disaster at the Amex was it. Rather than thinking of cup runs as a hindrance to our league performance, we should use them as a spur. We did this last season (albeit with a stronger squad), and playing more games rather than spending more time in training might be beneficial in other ways. The players are clearly being asked to play real life Mortal Kombat at the AXA, that contact in the actual matches is minimal by comparison! The players need to go out their this weekend and show Brighton that 2 weeks ago was an aberration that will not be allowed to happen again.

• Upvote 2

On 25/01/2023 at 17:56, dockers_strike said:

Id rather we jibbed this and still went eyeballs out to try and get 4th or better which is a much, much bigger priority. 

The shitness of modern football: finishing fourth matters more than winning a trophy. I mean, I've no doubt it does to the accountants, but it never will to me.

• Upvote 1

On 26/01/2023 at 21:42, Trumo said:

Bravery. Intelligence. Ruthlessness. Drive. Skill. Pace. Incision. Tactical nous.

I don't ask for much.

Brighton have looked lively all season, and arguably even more so under De Zerbi. They are much more adept at finding the net than old boss Potter's sides, and that's something that's been quite noticeable with Chelsea under Potter as they don't appear to score very many either.

I'd expect (hope?) this game to be a very different beast to the league game a couple of weeks ago. We've needed a kick up the jacksie for months and I'd like to think that the disaster at the Amex was it. Rather than thinking of cup runs as a hindrance to our league performance, we should use them as a spur. We did this last season (albeit with a stronger squad), and playing more games rather than spending more time in training might be beneficial in other ways. The players are clearly being asked to play real life Mortal Kombat at the AXA, that contact in the actual matches is minimal by comparison! The players need to go out their this weekend and show Brighton that 2 weeks ago was an aberration that will not be allowed to happen again.

Is that 'Bird Spit' or 'Bird's Pit?'