You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Napoli (A) - 3 Oct 2018

aRdja

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

Only squad depth will do that and for all the laughable talk of our apparent great squad depth, we've fuck all.

There is plenty of talented squad depth, but it's not been used adequately so far. Klopp was doing a better job of integrating and rotating last year with far less talent than he has this year, for some reason. 

And this is unrelated to our performances as a team  because we've still started the season pretty well. I just don't get what he's doing with certain individual players.

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Less than Keita or Fabinho. Best midfielder in the second half of last season IMO.

Yes I know. My point being it took him 2/3 of a season to come good, having played in this league since his teens, granted in a newer position.

The other 2 lads are new to the league and have started a handful or so games between them. You don’t always find your feet straight away. 

Just now, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Yes I know. My point being it took him 2/3 of a season to come good, having played in this league since his teens, granted in a newer position.

The other 2 lads are new to the league and have started a handful or so games between them. You don’t always find your feet straight away. 

Yeah fair point. Hence my response to Mr Pink, that if we were to spend more cash in the summer, I’d spend it elsewhere as the new boys might still come good, and we have Ox coming back.

To be fair to the team and Keita, he was first choice for the game, with Klopp obviously happy with his fitness and work ethic in training, but after 19 mins he was injured. He may well have settled in well, providing the necessary thrust, bar the early exit.

Henderson was never going to offer more going forward. It was damage control from that point.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Hard to argue with this...

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-analysis-joe-gomez-continues-15234867

The lack of energy and intensity and looking sloppy and tired is the really worrying part for me.

It's kind of understandable though? Not only has it been a run of tough opponents, but all games bar the Southampton one have been a fight for the full 90 minutes. 

Even getting out of the City game with a draw would be a decent result, all things considered. 

6 minutes ago, Ginny said:

I’m not worried. We’ve played great so far this season and will again. Just a little dip. Can’t expext to play great all the time. We will still win the CL so am not bothered about this poor display. 

The defence has played great this season.  The lack of any creativity from midfield and the front three struggling to do it all on their own has been apparent from day one.  A game like this has been coming.

Teams lose football matches shit happens and you know what we may lose Sunday to another very good side.

We've done great since the start of the season yeah we haven't hit some of the attacking highs of last season but nor have we imploded at the back.

All sides go through dodgy spells like this but we'll come out of it..(I'm saying dodgy but up to his point we are still unbeaten in the league and nicely placed in a very tough Champions League group)

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

The defence has played great this season.  The lack of any creativity from midfield and the front three struggling to do it all on their own has been apparent from day one.  A game like this has been coming.

Agreed.  The front three are playing poorly though.  They're usually the worst players on the pitch for us this season. We need to freshen up there.  We can't ignore it and hope they come good.  Play the players in form. 

• Upvote 1

Credit to napoli they had us sussed, but there were still positives with our goalie and defence, we very nearly nicked a point which would have been a good result in the circumstances.

But shit happens, everyone loses at some point. We just need to take it on the chin and bounce back. 

32 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

What a shit show that was. We've had that coming this season though. Too much complacency and not enough intensity. Hopefully will be a kick up the arse 

This is the thing, watching from the start of the season, we can't help but feel complacency crept in but really what do we have going on for us that even remotely allow the possibility of a complacent performance? We haven't achieved anything yet. When you are first, you are first and second you are nothing. This needs to be drilled into everyone.

23 minutes ago, clangers said:

Still think there's a Fekir sized whole in our midfield/attacking options unfortunately. 

Maybe Shaqiri could fill that void for now? Would need Klopp to be really brave though putting our defence at risk with this move. Could still work well mind seeing Shaqiri's workrate so far. Just need to tune in his general play to fit the style of the team more.

The most horrible game to watch since uncle woy was here. Totally outplayed and TAA was absolutely horrendous. Well they all were except Allison, but TAA he stood out like a leprechaun without a pot of gold. 

Ancelotti is a great tactician and they have a very good team, so not to worried except if we are going to play like that against the oil barons we'll let in seven. A big reaction needed, but we look knackered and just watching Henderson makes my skin crawl, how he is still here and captain is beyond the fucking pale.

8 hours ago, Luckyhillkop said:

Maybe Shaqiri could fill that void for now? Would need Klopp to be really brave though putting our defence at risk with this move. Could still work well mind seeing Shaqiri's workrate so far. Just need to tune in his general play to fit the style of the team more.

I'm not sure we would lost too much in the midfield if we played Wij, Milner and Shaqiri - and the gains would be significant.

• 3 weeks later...