You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Firmino Racism Allegations

aRdja

Not sure why people think this would  be dismissed in a day or so. They have to be seen as going through a thorough investigation so Ousley and others do not say it was a whitewash.

Firminos part in it should be fairly easy to deal with, There is or isn't any evidence to support Holgates allegation, As for Holgates tweets going back years then that's a separate issue,

I find the shunning of 'coloured people' but mainstream use of 'people of colour' confusing.

Just another example of why the intent of words should be what offends, and not the term itself

I may be wrong, but historically the term 'coloured' was used to differentiate or segregate (mainly) black people and/or slaves, such as signs saying "No Coloureds", where as I think that 'people (or person) of colour' is an American term born from their civil rights movement, but one that seems to be spreading internationally.

Personally don't like 'people of colour' either, but that's Americans for you. Bloody Yanks....

• Upvote 3

Might have been another deffo remember it against Johnson, might have been when he played for Chelsea though. Johnson was going Eh? Eh?

Given Ruddock left us in 1998, and Johnson didnt play for Chelsea until about 5 years later think you may be getting your timezones crossed here?

Just another example of why the intent of words should be what offends, and not the term itself

I may be wrong, but historically the term 'coloured' was used to differentiate or segregate (mainly) black people and/or slaves, such as signs saying "No Coloureds", where as I think that 'people (or person) of colour' is an American term born from their civil rights movement, but one that seems to be spreading internationally.

Personally don't like 'people of colour' either, but that's Americans for you. Bloody Yanks....

As a child of the 80s I was always told that using coloured was offensive as white is a colour? But the american use of prefixing a country e.g. African American, Italian American, Irish American seems weird. 

As you rightly say - intent is important. As a descriptive using white, black, asian etc is fine, but when that has meaning it is a different matter. 

I guess the important points are a. don't generalise and b. listen, oh and c. post your opinions on social media as fact!  

How would people of colour fit in the lyrics to Walk on the Wild Side?

I seem to recall Trevor Noah's story how his use of coloured shocked the Americans, where this is offensive or borderline, whilst in South Africa, it is a regular term for mixed race such as himself.

Might have been another deffo remember it against Johnson, might have been when he played for Chelsea though. Johnson was going Eh? Eh?

I remember that too but cant remember who the offended pplayer was. I seem to remember it being against Chelsea too.

When the fuck are they going to confirm what’s happening here? It’s been over a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When they've exhausted all the avenues to find him guilty because you can guarantee they wont be looking to find him innocent. 

How would people of colour fit in the lyrics to Walk on the Wild Side?

I seem to recall Trevor Noah's story how his use of coloured shocked the Americans, where this is offensive or borderline, whilst in South Africa, it is a regular term for mixed race such as himself.

It's even often as a way of promoting the idea that they are "better" than "blacks".

Watched Big Bash Cricket this morning and Ricky Ponting was commentating when they showed Gary Kirsten who was one of the coaches, he was sitting with a swollen bruised jaw and lips having had his jaw broken in the nets. Ponting said ' he looks more like Curtley Ambrose than Gary Kirsten?

Wow! The racial sensitivity seminar never reached Australia then? Hardly surprising though.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5266519/amp/Black-players-trial-just-speaking-out.html

The Mail giving a sanctimonious take on the plight of Holgate as a black footballer here, after a quick look to see if there was any further news.

A gentle reminder to the fa to make sure they come down on firmino regardless of evidence or more to the point the lack of any....

Holgate deserves banning for assault, slander and rank stupidity. If anything whatsoever was going to come of this, it would be out now.

Personally I am wondering why it is taking so long...If it was an open and shut job surely it would have been announced by now.

Personally I am wondering why it is taking so long...If it was an open and shut job surely it would have been announced by now.

I guess the whole thing is delayed because they are looking at Holgates social media history

They should deal with Firmino and I don't give a shit what happens then.

Cyril Regis died today.

He endured racism.

This is not fucking racism.

The FA need to explain why they are prolonging this very very basic ‘investigation’. Firmino has starred ina a win over City in the time taken to decide on his guilt. Or, a good lad has gone into a massive game with a black cloud hanging over his head for no good reason.

Utterly shambolic from the FA/PL.

Cyril Regis died today.

He endured racism.

This is not fucking racism.

The FA need to explain why they are prolonging this very very basic ‘investigation’. Firmino has starred ina a win over City in the time taken to decide on his guilt. Or, a good lad has gone into a massive game with a black cloud hanging over his head for no good reason.

Utterly shambolic from the FA/PL.

Was showing my lad some old clips of Regis from the 70’s and it was really jarring hesring the black players for WBA getting audible monkey chants at Old Trafford in 1978 (I know it wasn’t just them and we were guilty too).

It just really shocked me actually hearing it.