You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sevilla (a) CL - Match Thread

Bjornebye

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I kind of agree.

You can't complain being 3-0 up. But, even at that stage it was hot potato stuff with the ball at times.

No cleverness. No guile. No little bit of intelligence in trying to slow the game down a bit and keep the ball.

It was get it, look to get the ball over the top or into the gaps in the channels as quickly as possible. It worked a few times and we created chances out of it. But, when it stopped working, there seemed to be no plan to do anything else, nor an individual ability, to stop the ball coming straight back at us.

We were keeping the ball for all of 5 to 6 seconds at times. Given our defensive frailties and tendency to make individual errors, it was risky to manage the ball so poorly.

You can get away with 30% possession for a half.

But at some point the lightning counter-attack plan needs modification, perhaps.

Was you there, Jairzinho?

Nah, tickets were at a price that would make my missus cut my balls off.

Watched it at the pub I normally watch our games. Fucking bouncing first half. Must have been 200 reds in there. Second half there was an air of resignation. Just knew we'd shit the bed. No-one in midfield to take the sting out of the game. We are completely incapable of controlling a football match.

• Upvote 1

Always in the interviews afterwards they go on about looking at the positives and learning from the negatives.

They must have some some pretty severe learning disabilities because after all these years they've still learned fuck all and still making the exact same mistakes.

• Upvote 5

Nah, tickets were at a price that would make my missus cut my balls off.

Watched it at the pub I normally watch our games. Fucking bouncing first half. Must have been 200 reds in there. Second half there was an air of resignation. Just knew we'd shit the bed. No-one in midfield to take the sting out of the game. We are completely incapable of controlling a football match.

I'd have probably spent the ground admission price on ciders in the second-half... and told the barkeep to not fuck about pouring it like this:

I tell you what though. We were fucking brilliant in that first half.

Were we though? I thought we were extremely lucky going in at 3-0 after the chances we had given away and we hardly touched the ball. That 2nd half was coming from minute 1.