You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sevilla (a) CL - Match Thread

Bjornebye

There have been no signs that klopp can change a game. If it goes wrong, it goes badly wrong. He doesn't know how to set up a defence or understand that a dm is the most important position on the pitch these days.

He has a blind spot with regard to defence . Unless we throw huge sums of money at it, I can't see much changing.

Can't see us going anywhere for a nil nil or defending a lead in the second leg.

However, when the attack works it is fantastic but the attack can't carry a shit back 5 and midfield

I hate Saville.

I hate their brinkmanship manager (illness aside he is horrible).

I hate his made-in-his-image whinging, diving players.

And I hate their moaning, crying fans.

It makes last night all the more difficult.  I don't think they could play the game in the right spirit if they tried.

Chelsea without the money.

It's not on Klopp's substitutions. You can't say he wasn't reactive. He pulled an attacking midfielder and a suspect defender almost immediately we conceded the second. That was decisive management.

Get your head out of your arse. It was nearly 3 all before those subs were made. You can completely understand not making changes at half time because we were 3 nil up and after the spell of Sevilla dominating the first 25 mins they were all over the place. We were in charge going in at the break.

He should have been thinking to himself though that we have thrown leads away before too many times to mention. We were playing Coutinho in a midfield role which by result makes the line up an attacking one. He should have been thinking if this starts to swing the other way he needs to come off straight away and we kill the game.

Within minutes of the second half you would have had to be blind to not see how the game had changed but again if they haven’t scored I can understand no changes. As soon as they scored though, change it straight away. They should be ready. A 2 goal margin is enough to cover for a goal like the last one. Instead he hesitated or worse didn’t even entertain the change and that cost us the game in my opinion. The changes clearly worked and if they had happened earlier I doubt we don’t concede the second goal.

What a disgusting half time talk by the Sevilla manager if the reports are true. So you use that excuse to motivate your players? It is a gross insult to the people who do have prostrate cancer and the dedicated people in the NHS who treat them. But given the shameful way Sevilla players were throwing themselves to the ground all night and chasing the ref asking for yellow cards and worse, maybe it is considered acceptable behaviour by everyone at Sevilla FC.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

Just look at the result and not the second half debacle lads, it'll make you feel better. Beat Spartak at home and we are into the last 16 as group winners. It sets up yet another great European night at Anfield. Achieve our goals and that second half performance becomes just a stat. 

This might explain what happened to the Sevilla players :

Sevilla recovered from 3-0 down to draw with Liverpool in the Champions League after the Spanish side's head coach told his players at half-time that he has cancer, according to reports.

Spanish media claim 48-year-old Eduardo Berizzo, who took over in the summer, is suffering from prostate cancer.

The club is expected to make an official announcement on Wednesday.

Sevilla's players rushed to Berizzo after Guido Pizarro scored the equaliser in injury time.

When asked about Berizzo's health, Sevilla president Pepe Castro told Spain's COPE radio station: "Given it is a personal and difficult subject, I would prefer to wait until tomorrow."

Roberto Firminio scored twice and Sadio Mane added the third as Liverpool dominated the opening 45 minutes but their hopes of qualifying for the knockout stage with a game to spare were dashed by Sevilla's stunning second-half performance.

Wissam Ben Yedder scored with a header and a penalty in the first 15 minutes of the second half before Pizarro poked in the leveller in the third of seven added minutes.

"We had to come out with a different attitude for the fans and for the boss, he made us play like that," said Argentine international Ever Banega.

Only we could encounter such a scenario to derail us.

Staggering revelation.

"Lads, you're 3-0 down, you're shit, you need to go out and play better for these fans, and by the way I've got cancer and you're making me sad".

• Upvote 1

Get your head out of your arse. It was nearly 3 all before those subs were made. You can completely understand not making changes at half time because we were 3 nil up and after the spell of Sevilla dominating the first 25 mins they were all over the place. We were in charge going in at the break.

He should have been thinking to himself though that we have thrown leads away before too many times to mention. We were playing Coutinho in a midfield role which by result makes the line up an attacking one. He should have been thinking if this starts to swing the other way he needs to come off straight away and we kill the game.

Within minutes of the second half you would have had to be blind to not see how the game had changed but again if they haven’t scored I can understand no changes. As soon as they scored though, change it straight away. They should be ready. A 2 goal margin is enough to cover for a goal like the last one. Instead he hesitated or worse didn’t even entertain the change and that cost us the game in my opinion. The changes clearly worked and if they had happened earlier I doubt we don’t concede the second goal.

The second goal came 9 minutes later mate. Sorry, but I think you are using hindsight as a guide on how to manage. The changes he made were effective - they solidified the team and we should have seen it out. 

Two brain-farts are not to be anticipated. 

But that aside - I think, it is a fair point to suggest he has had two years to sort this mentality out. It isn't the mistakes as such - it is the same players making the same mistakes that are annoying us.

Mentally we have seen 2 goal leads slip on 5 occasions now - that is a problem with the mentality of the team I think. Which is strange because usually the team is made in the image of the manager e.g. passive and weak like Rodgers, but Klopp is generally mentally strong and quite stubborn. 

• Upvote 1

There have been no signs that klopp can change a game. If it goes wrong, it goes badly wrong. He doesn't know how to set up a defence or understand that a dm is the most important position on the pitch these days.

He has a blind spot with regard to defence . Unless we throw huge sums of money at it, I can't see much changing.

Can't see us going anywhere for a nil nil or defending a lead in the second leg.

However, when the attack works it is fantastic but the attack can't carry a shit back 5 and midfield

I have my doubts about Klopps tactics when we are under pressure too but last night we were a minute or so away from getting over the line having weathered the worst of the storm,

He made the right changes with Milner and Can and didn't spare Moreno's blushes, 

Criticise him for having faith in Moreno in the first place by all means , I do, but Klopp arguably saved us from defeat last night. Win the last game and this will be an unpleasant memory and the upside is probably won't get to see Moreno shit his pants in the Chav game at the weekend or ever be seen again in a red shirt if I had my way.

Just look at the result and not the second half debacle lads, it'll make you feel better. Beat Spartak at home and we are into the last 16 as group winners. It sets up yet another great European night at Anfield. Achieve our goals and that second half performance becomes just a stat.

Half agree but the concern is that this team carries what happened into the coming games and it adds to existing nervousness/lack of confidence and causes us more problems. .

What last night highlighted ,apart from the obvious lack of a sentient LB , was leadership on the park. Henderson as most on here agree is no leader . It;s about time Klopp and the club in general woke up to that fact and acted. Carra would have without doubt held that defence together last night when the tide turned after HT 

Does not really matter whether you finish first or second in the group. You have to beat what is put in front of you. Beats me that UEFA goes to the trouble of seeding teams for the groups but then does nothing if some of those teams stage their position in the group to get a supposedly easier draw in the knock out.

Come first in the group then you might face:

REAL MADRID

BAYERN MUNICH

CHELSEA

JUVENTUS

SHAKHTAR

PORTO

Come second in the group then you might face:

SPURS

MAN CITY

PSG

ROMA

BARCA

BESIKTAS

Unless things have changed we cannot draw English clubs in the first knockout round