You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Danny Ings

TheHowieLama

I like him, and I'd like to see him get games if he merits it, but Klopp will be aware of the calibre of opposition he's playing against. 9 goals in 5 games against rubbish opposition is no indicator of anything except fitness and willingness to work hard.

I agree with this but the option of having him as a goal threat and/or an increase in intensity for tired legs shouldn't be overlooked.

The only way he should play against Spurs is from the bench IF the game is over.

Full team, get the job down.

I agree. It's harsh but we really should be going all out to win the domestic cups this year given the lack of European football.

Ings will get a chance from the bench before too long. I'd much prefer to give him 20-30 minutes where we are in control. It's not easy to make an impression, but that's it i'm afraid.

The other thing about the Ings situation is that both of the strikers in front of him, Origi and Sturridge, will also be frustrated about lack of game time. If we are going to tweak our side against Tottenham to provide some minutes, then it should be to one of those two (or both).

He should be ahead of Origi in the pecking order.

Origi did enough at the end of last season to buy himself a bit more time than that. He needs games. All Ings has done is score a few reserve goals. Origi has scored when he's played in the League Cup. He looks the better talent overall.

Still don't think Klopp is much of a fan though.

Why?

Has he said this?

He's been playing reserves because he's coming back from a serious injury.

Talk about jumping to conclusions!

Why?

Has he said this?

He's been playing reserves because he's coming back from a serious injury.

Talk about jumping to conclusions!

Deriving conclusions from who get's picked seems sensible to me. Allen, Benteke, Skrtel, and Ibe are no longer here. Firmino is ahead of Sturridge, who is ahead of Origi, ahead of Ings. If Origi plays poorly, and it seems to me that he has, then Ings should be coming into the frame since he returned at the end of last season.

Deriving conclusions from who get's picked seems sensible to me. Allen, Benteke, Skrtel, and Ibe are no longer here. Firmino is ahead of Sturridge, who is ahead of Origi, ahead of Ings. If Origi plays poorly, and it seems to me that he has, then Ings should be coming into the frame since he returned at the end of last season.

None of your examples are coming back from serious injuries like Ings has been.

We'll get a better picture as the season goes on then. I'm not sure I care enough for the argument.

I'm not arguing. Just wondering how you jumped to that conclusion. Seeing if I'd missed something.

You might be right, I really don't know either way. I suspect Klopp watches performances closely and rates players on that not reputation!

Up to Ings & all the players to impress & I think it would be hard for Klopp not to rate his professionalism, workeate & attitude at the very least. Scoring goals is going to make him take note also.

Here's me thinking that the main thing we should take away from Ings scoring bucketloads in the reserve league is not that Ings is brilliant, but that perhaps we should be more careful about bigging up our young players for good performances against other reserve sides.  The U23 league, despite (because of?) the best efforts of the FA, remains utter, utter crap.

You say that, but I've watched Lucas and Sakho in the ressies and it's not like you've come away from it thinking they looked vastly superior to any other player.

I think it helps that our U23 side is excellent this year and making teams look shit, but some of Ings' finishes have been masterful in terms of the technique and timing.

Ings is doing all he can with the opportunity he has, so full credit to him for that. Working had, scoring goals, good attitude. There's a lot to like there. Whether or not it culminates in him getting in and around the first team remains to be seen. I suspect on ability he will just, slightly, fall short... but that is more down to the club we are becoming under Klopp, rather than where we were when Ings joined. In other words, good enough for a Rodgers match day squad, probably not good enough for a Klopp match day squad.

You would have to think this is going to end with either Ings getting on the bench a bit more on match day, or us selling a fit and firing player to a lower Prem side to give them a chance of staying up or climbing the table a bit. My best guess is the latter. Sunderland in January for £20M. I like the lad, but I just don't see how he gets in the first team.

Jurgen trades on not having favourites & the team needs overriding any specific player , but if Sturridge & Origi continue to offer very little for too much longer while Ings keeps knocking on the door & his play is far more in line with the Firmino-type style that seems to suit us , I think Jurgen will be proving this is not actually true.

Ings is doing all he can with the opportunity he has, so full credit to him for that. Working had, scoring goals, good attitude. There's a lot to like there. Whether or not it culminates in him getting in and around the first team remains to be seen. I suspect on ability he will just, slightly, fall short... but that is more down to the club we are becoming under Klopp, rather than where we were when Ings joined. In other words, good enough for a Rodgers match day squad, probably not good enough for a Klopp match day squad.

You would have to think this is going to end with either Ings getting on the bench a bit more on match day, or us selling a fit and firing player to a lower Prem side to give them a chance of staying up or climbing the table a bit. My best guess is the latter. Sunderland in January for £20M. I like the lad, but I just don't see how he gets in the first team.

I dont get this. Klopp's style is to make players better. we've already see this with a number of our players. There absolutely no reason why Klopp wont make Ings a better player.

Origi got in a run until stopped by a fucking blueshite yard dog. Ings is showing real commitment. Id bet my last quid you wouldnt see sturridge doing what Ings is doing and saying nowt.