You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

5 minutes ago, moof said:

Because it entrenches the class divide, has a detrimental effect on society and blocks certain people from certain opportunities. It’s a good idea imo

Have you ever paid for private medical treatment? I dont mean for an operation but perhaps for physio or sports injury or a chiropractor or even hypnotism to give up smoking. Theres loads of private practitioners in this country, would you want all of them to stop trading and come under the NHS? You would surely use the same argument to do so.

2 minutes ago, A Red said:

Have you ever paid for private medical treatment? I dont mean for an operation but perhaps for physio or sports injury or a chiropractor or even hypnotism to give up smoking. Theres loads of private practitioners in this country, would you want all of them to stop trading and come under the NHS? You would surely use the same argument to do so.

It’s not analogous. Fact of the matter is private schools segregate children based on wealth of their parents. It’s an immoral system and one of the biggest structural problems in our society. 

1 minute ago, moof said:

It’s not analogous. Fact of the matter is private schools segregate children based on wealth of their parents. It’s an immoral system and one of the biggest structural problems in our society. 

You could have said similar or comparable you big headed cunt, I had to look that up.

I think the principle is the same, if you want the same education and healthcare for all then you get rid of fee paying schools and private practitioners as you must consider them immoral. You didnt answer as to whether you have used private healthcare 

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-06-25/britains-most-powerful-people-more-likely-to-have-attended-private-school/

Graphic which shows the proportion of the privately educated in public sector jobs, in comparison to the general population.

Compared to the national average of seven per cent of Britons who had gone to private school, the media also contains a disproportionate amount of fee-paying alumni.

Of the 100 most influential news editors and broadcasters, 43 per cent were privately educated, while 44 per cent of newspaper columnists went to fee-paying schools.

I have paid for physio on numerous occasions but am no nearer any of the above jobs.

38 minutes ago, A Red said:

Ok big ears.

He is a leader that wants to be pm and we the electorate should know what he wants to do. He will negotiate a deal, call a referendum on it and then what? Campaign against the deal he has negotiated? Mental. Stay neutral? Mental. Or maybe he will campaign to leave on the deal he has negotiated. Very doubtful.

You didn’t mention a couple of things. First, why given the mess of a situation he would inherit from the Conservatives, why it would be ‘mental’ to remain neutral (not campaign), and second what a better solution would be. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

You didn’t mention a couple of things. First, why given the mess of a situation he would inherit from the Conservatives, why it would be ‘mental’ to remain neutral (not campaign), and second what a better solution would be. 

The right solution is to campaign on a clear, stay or leave. The Lib Dems and tories would.

Its mental for the government to negotiate a deal and then in the referendum campaign say nothing about which way it wants it to go. How on earth could that be maintained?

Obviously it's a policy that has zero chance of happening anyway, but abolishing private schools will do nothing to solve entrenched privilege. Well-off families will still be able to buy better education for their children, whether that be through purchasing more expensive houses in catchment areas with better schools, or hiring private tutors.

My school was a selective grammar school with no catchment area, but the overwhelming majority of pupils there were still from the wealthier parts of the city. There were only a few of us from North Liverpool. Because success more than anything is highly dependent on the value parents place on education, and families with money invariably place much more value on education (to the extent that some of them are prepared to pay thousands a year extra). This won't change if you abolish private schools. Rich kids will still be far more successful.

32 minutes ago, moof said:

Wouldn't they just be replaced by a system of excellent (publicly run) primary schools in middle class and above catchment areas?

Edit: didn't see SD already posting.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Obviously it's a policy that has zero chance of happening anyway, but abolishing private schools will do nothing to solve entrenched privilege. Well-off families will still be able to buy better education for their children, whether that be through purchasing more expensive houses in catchment areas with better schools, or hiring private tutors.

My school was a selective grammar school with no catchment area, but the overwhelming majority of pupils there were still from the wealthier parts of the city. There were only a few of us from North Liverpool. Because success more than anything is highly dependent on the value parents place on education, and families with money invariably place much more value on education (to the extent that some of them are prepared to pay thousands a year extra). This won't change if you abolish private schools. Rich kids will still be far more successful.

It's not about the quality of teaching or the learning environment.  It's about the class structures that public schools prop up.

• Upvote 1

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's not about the quality of teaching or the learning environment.  It's about the class structures that public schools prop up.

If you think you can shatter class structures by cancelling private schools, I think you're going to be very disappointed.

2 hours ago, A Red said:

If you are going to negotiate a deal and then argue that people should reject it, arent they purposely going to negotiate a shit deal? I might be missing something but seems a bit mad to me.

You're not missing anything.  It was a fucking ridiculous idea which would have handed the initiative to twats like Johnson and Farage. 

Thankfully, Labour can now rightly claim to have the only sensible policy on Brexit: one that doesn't try to dismiss half the electorate, but offers Leavers their only chance of leaving with a deal and offers Remainers their only chance of a second referendum. 

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

If you think you can shatter class structures by cancelling private schools, I think you're going to be very disappointed.

Nobody said that was all it takes. But you'd be hard-pressed to change the anti-democratic system of class if you don't tackle any of its key components.

23 minutes ago, A Red said:

You could have said similar or comparable you big headed cunt, I had to look that up.

I think the principle is the same, if you want the same education and healthcare for all then you get rid of fee paying schools and private practitioners as you must consider them immoral. You didnt answer as to whether you have used private healthcare 

Yes, I’ve used private medical care. It was very expensive. Physiotherapy, mental health care, dental work, etc etc should be available to all, at a highly subsidised rate, at least.

Private schooling is unavailable to 90% of the population - a more clear example of privilege leading to privileged outcomes you’ll never see. It’s a fundamental foundation underpinning the inequality in society and the dissonance between the elite and the rest of us. It’s a major problem 

17 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

You're not missing anything.  It was a fucking ridiculous idea which would have handed the initiative to twats like Johnson and Farage. 

Thankfully, Labour can now rightly claim to have the only sensible policy on Brexit: one that doesn't try to dismiss half the electorate, but offers Leavers their only chance of leaving with a deal and offers Remainers their only chance of a second referendum. 

Its even more mad than I thought.

So let me get this right. Labour if it wins a GE, will negotiate a new deal for up to 3 months then a referendum after 6 months. Whilst it is negotiating this deal they will not tell us what they want to do - stay or leave, and will only make it clear when the referendum campaign starts. How can you negotiate for something when you dont have a view on the outcome?

So when I come to vote, all i know is that Labour want a referendum not what the party wants to happen. 

Labour will be the only major party unable to tell the electorate where it stands on the most important issue in 80 odd years. A potential government should be able tell the electorate what they stand for, just stating they want a referendum is a cop out.

5 minutes ago, A Red said:

Its even more mad than I thought.

So let me get this right. Labour if it wins a GE, will negotiate a new deal for up to 3 months then a referendum after 6 months. Whilst it is negotiating this deal they will not tell us what they want to do - stay or leave, and will only make it clear when the referendum campaign starts. How can you negotiate for something when you dont have a view on the outcome?

So when I come to vote, all i know is that Labour want a referendum not what the party wants to happen. 

Labour will be the only major party unable to tell the electorate where it stands on the most important issue in 80 odd years. A potential government should be able tell the electorate what they stand for, just stating they want a referendum is a cop out.

Yep you are as thick as I thought. 

I think Corbyn wants to respect the vote but equally wants people to have a choice on what they voted for in the first place. In other words "We will respect the vote of the people when the people have voted for something they know what they are voting for"

Not fucking hard is it. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, A Red said:

A potential government should be able tell the electorate what they stand for, just stating they want a referendum is a cop out.

That’s the whole point though isn’t it? They can’t, because they are split themselves, just like the people.

The Tories and Labour are not united behind either position (the Tories are obviously more split), their parties reflect the position of the country.

May as well be open about that and leave it to the people to decide than to align behind a false position (and therefore ignore half of the people).

If Labour were in power then it would be a different story.

This is politics.

• Upvote 1