You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Within the individual parties - yea probably.

There's one party where one view wouldn't be divisive - the Lib Dems/against. In general, with the country, there's no position. In the Labour Party, there's no position. His is just about the most sensible, though; which is pretty much the only direction you can go when nobody can agree. 

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Not even the Lib Dems. At the announcement of the move towards revoke being the policy people were saying it was ridiculous.

They can all agree that they want to remain though, right? I mean, the point I was getting at was there could be, feasibly, something that wouldn't be classed as divisive. But yeah, I'm talking about the wider country though, and unless somebody can show me something else that Corbyn could have done that would have not been divisive, I don't think it's a fair criticism of him.

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

They can all agree that they want to remain though, right? I mean, the point I was getting at was there could be, feasibly, something that wouldn't be classed as divisive. But yeah, I'm talking about the wider country though, and unless somebody can show me something else that Corbyn could have done that would have not been divisive, I don't think it's a fair criticism of him.

Yes, the message could have been delivered better. Obviously. But I don't think he could have taken a different position. 80% of members want to remain, two thirds of constituencies want to leave. What can he do?

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

That is all a very lucid argument for why the party needs to back Corbyn's position. 

really? corbyn's position is not to have a position on which way to fight a referendum until after the election. that is no position, just has it has been since the revokation of article 50. 

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, the message could have been delivered better. Obviously. But I don't think he could have taken a different position. 80% of members want to remain, two thirds of constituencies want to leave. What can he do?

So, what you're saying is, if he opts for Remain it would be trouble, siding with Leave it would be double?

54 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

really? corbyn's position is not to have a position on which way to fight a referendum until after the election. that is no position, just has it has been since the revokation of article 50. 

I really don’t know what is so difficult to understand. Labour will negotiate their own deal, put it against remain in a second referendum, mps can campaign as they wish, leadership is neutral, let the people decide.

This deliberate obfuscation by media, commentators etc is going to destroy the only hope at getting out of this with a fair and reasonable solution. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, A Red said:

Well, thats daft too.

Why? He's following what the electorate directed government to do - leave Europe. He'd be doing so in a way acceptable to parliament, with a deal. And he'd go back and ask the electorate if this is still what they want. 

What better way is there. If there is one, I'm all ears. 

Just now, Scooby Dudek said:

Corbyn wants to leave - gets criticised

Corbyn remains neutral - gets criticised

Corbyn backs remain - gets criticised      *

* assuming the party vote to go full remain at conference

Most of these people don’t really give a shit about the outcome on a macro level. It’s all about the theatre. It’s a serious barrier to progress and a threat to the future of this country. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Why? He's following what the electorate directed government to do - leave Europe. He'd be doing so in a way acceptable to parliament, with a deal. And he'd go back and ask the electorate if this is still what they want. 

What better way is there. If there is one, I'm all ears. 

Ok big ears.

He is a leader that wants to be pm and we the electorate should know what he wants to do. He will negotiate a deal, call a referendum on it and then what? Campaign against the deal he has negotiated? Mental. Stay neutral? Mental. Or maybe he will campaign to leave on the deal he has negotiated. Very doubtful.

Just now, A Red said:

I'm disturbed about this plan to get rid of private fee paying schools. Its removing choice and i dont understand why.

Because it entrenches the class divide, has a detrimental effect on society and blocks certain people from certain opportunities. It’s a good idea imo