You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Vote of no confidence passed against Nottingham East MP Chris Leslie

The vote was passed by the Mapperley Labour Party

A local Labour branch has passed a vote of no confidence in the Nottingham East MP Chris Leslie.

The Labour MP, who has represented the constituency since 2010, said his party had been infiltrated by the "intolerant hard left", and the move had been "orchestrated nationally".

Seperate votes of no confidence were passed against two other MPs this week - Joan Ryan and Gavin Shuker.

The vote against Mr Leslie was held by the Mapperley Labour Party. A wider vote will now be held with the whole of the Nottingham East Labour members.

The Mapperley vote of no confidence passed "overwhelmingly" on Wednesday night, by around 80 percent of the estimated 30 people who were there.

But Mr Leslie has said it will "not distract him" from serving his constituents.

Labour member Steve Jansky was at the meeting, and voted in favour of the vote of no confidence

He said: “Chris is one of those people who doesn’t support the leadership, against the wishes of the membership, who voted for him (Jeremy Corbyn) twice, overwhelmingly

“He (Mr Leslie) seems to be on speed dial with the BBC whenever they want a negative view of Jeremy Corbyn.

“It’s all about democracy. The MP should reflect the views of the party and the local membership."

A vote of no confidence is now expected to be held on the MP by Labour party members from across his constituency. If he lost, he would not be obliged to stand down as an MP.

HARE

BY KIT SANDEMAN

17:05, 7 SEP 2018UPDATED08:38, 8 SEP 2018

Enter your postcode to see news and information near you

Community updates, Crime Statistics, Local News & Events and much more...

Enter your postcode

Chris Leslie asked minsters to consider their decision

Chris Leslie(Image: Parliament UK )

A local Labour branch has passed a vote of no confidence in the Nottingham East MP Chris Leslie.

The Labour MP, who has represented the constituency since 2010, said his party had been infiltrated by the "intolerant hard left", and the move had been "orchestrated nationally".

Seperate votes of no confidence were passed against two other MPs this week - Joan Ryan and Gavin Shuker.

The vote against Mr Leslie was held by the Mapperley Labour Party. A wider vote will now be held with the whole of the Nottingham East Labour members.

The Mapperley vote of no confidence passed "overwhelmingly" on Wednesday night, by around 80 percent of the estimated 30 people who were there.

But Mr Leslie has said it will "not distract him" from serving his constituents.

COUNCILS AND POLITICS

This is where 67,000 will be built

How to challenge your council tax bill

Plans for a new super-council

This is the cost of a landlord licence

Labour member Steve Jansky was at the meeting, and voted in favour of the vote of no confidence.

He said: “Chris is one of those people who doesn’t support the leadership, against the wishes of the membership, who voted for him (Jeremy Corbyn) twice, overwhelmingly.

“He (Mr Leslie) seems to be on speed dial with the BBC whenever they want a negative view of Jeremy Corbyn.

“It’s all about democracy. The MP should reflect the views of the party and the local membership."

A vote of no confidence is now expected to be held on the MP by Labour party members from across his constituency. If he lost, he would not be obliged to stand down as an MP.

Jeremy Corbyn makes first appearance in Rushcliffe since being elected as Labour target constituency

Mr Jansky said: “My view is that he (Mr Leslie) will lose that vote.”

Mr Jansky said he is not a member of Momentum, a left-wing Labour group supporting Jeremy Corbyn, nor were the majority of people who voted against the MP.

Mr Leslie, speaking about the vote of no confidence in two other MPs as well as himself, said: “These are obviously motions now being orchestrated nationally by the leadership’s machine.

“Sadly, the recent infiltration of Labour by a small band of intolerant hard left elements means that they will target MPs who stand up to antisemitism and stand firm for what they believe in.

“I can reassure my constituents it will not distract me from continuing to represent the best interests of Nottingham East

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/vote-no-confidence-passed-against-1982730.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Bit of information about how Leslie got the job in the first place.

The leaders: Activists threaten rebellion as Brown helps secure seat for ally

Nottingham councillors up in arms as Labour takes control of candidate selection

One Nottingham councillor is now urging colleagues to resist the "imposition" of a candidate from the centre. Local officials had expected at least three senior councillors, including the council leader Jon Collins, to be in the running to replace Mr Heppell, who last month announced he was standing down to help his wife fight cancer.

But Mr Brown's personal intervention at the NEC's special selections panel last week appears to have guaranteed the shortlist will be dominated by "outsiders", notably Mr Leslie, who lost his seat in Shipley, Yorkshire, in 2005.

While David Cameron and Nick Clegg toured the country on Thursday, Mr Brown was in London, where he is believed to have spoken at the meeting, and used his vote to ensure the selection process is taken out of the local party's hands. "It was unusual for him to attend a meeting like that, but to exert such an influence over it was extraordinary," a senior Labour figure said last night.

Graham Chapman, a Nottingham city councillor, has emailed members of the constituency party encouraging them to sign a petition against the imposition of a "national" candidate.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-leaders-activists-threaten-rebellion-as-brown-helps-secure-seat-for-ally-1941435.html?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Interesting angle on the Enfield North/Press TV thing.

https://skwawkbox.org/2018/09/08/if-presstv-journalist-at-ryan-meeting-was-infiltrator-right-wingers-let-him-in/

The people on the door checking cards were Ryan's people. So either the journalist is a local member or they (inadvertently or otherwise) let him in when they shouldn't.

Brilliant, another duplicitous fuck bites the dust. Conference is going to be fun this year.

Not just yet Mapperley is only a part of Nottingham East the whole CLP constituency has to vote but he's on the ropes.

A reminder of his comments as Corbyn was close to becoming leader.

Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/news/chris-leslie-jeremy-corbyns-anti-austerity-agenda-will-harm-the-poor-says-labour-shadow-chancellor-10433928.html

I think I'm more disappointed in Umunna than the rest of them! He seemed a decent politician when he first got in to Parliament, possible future leader who would be acceptable to all wings of the Labour party!

Now he's amongst the biggest Blairite cunts out there! Another who could do with being honest with themselves and crossing the floor!

Even better news odious midget Blairite Eddie Marsan is thinking of voting Lib Dem now.....

I'm at a loss to think judging by his constant criticism of everything Corbyn he was ever going to vote Labour anyway so I love the way they come out with this kind of news like its some sort of bombshell

Even better news odious midget Blairite Eddie Marsan is thinking of voting Lib Dem now.....

I'm at a loss to think judging by his constant criticism of everything Corbyn he was ever going to vote Labour anyway so I love the way they come out with this kind of news like its some sort of bombshell

I'm glad Will Smith cut his hand off!

None, as we disgusted a couple of weeks ago. The threats were enough. But that wasn’t done democratically. This is. Which one do you favour and why is it Blair’s threats?

I think it's appropriate to point out that Corbyn wasn't booted out of Labour, despite defying the whip 400 times or whatever it was, whereas a bunch of "right wing" Labour MPs are being driven out despite "rebelling" far less. Corbyn and his ilk were tolerated, Ryan and her ilk are not, which is what you should be taking from this.

• Downvote 1

I think it's appropriate to point out that Corbyn wasn't booted out of Labour, despite defying the whip 400 times or whatever it was, whereas a bunch of "right wing" Labour MPs are being driven out despite "rebelling" far less. Corbyn and his ilk were tolerated, Ryan and her ilk are not, which is what you should be taking from this.

There’s a big difference between Corbyn and them, and it’s not just about votes. Anyway, I think Corbyn’s leadership is a bit of a shambles. So I agreed with Tim Farron when he said that earlier, although him accusing Labour of letting the Tories off the hook did tickle me.

But still, do you have any actual concerns about a more democratic method of selection, or is it just a chance to have another slap?

Haven't candidates always been chosen by their local party? So I don't know what the "more democratic" angle is.

I would argue that being chosen by an electorate of a few dozen thousand confers more democratic legitimacy than being chosen by a few hundred party members anyway.