You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FAO stevebaby

Champ

I'll be in there tomorrow mate with the scouse and other condiments as agreed. Should be able to get in there by about half four.

Cev would probably be there around half five if he is coming in after work.

Get those Heiny's on ice mate, I'll even slide a nice bottle of shiraz into the mix.

A decent red for a more than decent red. See you on the morrow my good man.

Keep biting those tiles comrade!!

• Upvote 1

how does someone with no pockets find so much shit to carry on a fishing trip?  We are off lads! Fuck you flathead we are on your case. See you this arvo! :D

• Upvote 2

Alright Steve, you hanging in there mate? I don't like it when the thread goes quiet because it could mean things aren't going well, or it could be you've scored with a nurse!!

I just wanted to put some things down in black and white before, y'know... Anyway, you've got me thinking about you specifically and your afinity and bond with my great city and its people (Champ is an honorary! She's a diamond but she already knows that.) All those years ago when you visited Liverpool it wasn't luck or you taking the chance on strangers, it was a sort of coming home and meeting your peers. The people of Liverpool don't suffer fools and we embrace anybody with open arms. We also have a fierce protection of our own and we stand up to anybody and anything with a fight and with humour, and that my friend is why you are one of us. You've stood up to this absolute Cunt of a disease in a true scouse way. You're a fucking hero to me Steve and you've changed my life. If I ever come across cancer in my own body I won't feel sorry for myself, I won't blame another soul, I'll approach it like you. With humility and humour. You're enjoying your last days a happy man and that fills me with pride and in a strange way a wry smile. You're a good man, you're too good for this disease and you're one of us.

Another thing you've done is bring me and Kev closer together without us even having to speak. We've got another bond, another thing in common and that's getting to know you and we can share this experience together now and forever. Kev thinks the world of you and I'm so happy he got off his arse and went to meet you. He's doing it on behalf of the forum and my family, and I couldn't be prouder of him, despite his shit impressions.

I've not been drinking (i swear, although I've probably repeated myself above on numerous occasions) but you're constantly in my thoughts. Have a good journey my man, you've made the world a better place to live.

Steve, the scouser, man of the forum, man of the people, you're fucking boss la! take care my mate and tell that nurse you're fucking I said hello!

• Upvote 9

Great, or at least similar minds, mate. I've been wondering about the quiet on the thread too and was a little concerned to get a PM from Cevan just a few minutes ago. It turns out he was just wanting to confirm arrangements for getting the balance of our collection to Steve which I've just sent him as I wanted someone to give it to Steve in person.

Another post that nails the thoughts of all of us who have (had) the privilege of knowing you, Steve, and of changing our perception of life and death and refocussing our attention on the really important things in life.

And of course special mention has to go to Cev and Kev...you must be so proud of him. And rightly so. Three top reds

• Upvote 2

I thought I'd give you a bit of an insight of the recent Ste visit.

Took in the scouse, red cabbage and HP for the main man. Should keep him sorted for a week!

Cev and I took the main man down to our lovely spot near Green Jesus, cracked a few Heiny's, talked about some funny times, places we had all been from different parts around the world which triggered more funny stories. It was a good laugh as it always is.

Cev and Alex had to get off because they were heading off to a concert which just left Ste and I to shoot the breeze.

One thing that we discussed was Ste's love of cycling. I love the Tours. So we get talking about that and then I think that there was suddenly a realisation that what we are actually witnessing here is much like a Tour.

From a squad of thirty six riders, only eight are ever picked. And from a team of eight, only one will ever win.

All of these people work towards one common goal, as a team, knowing that it isn't them that is going to win but they do it willingly anyway.

And that is much like what we are seeing here.

The forum is world wide. We have many people from various countries around the world.

We all know Ste, we all got to read about him and this forum username stevebaby and we were all drawn together by our love for this club.

And from all of those people on the internet, three lucky people got to meet this one guy.

This one guy is Ste Gandy.

And so as he leads us out once again with the maillot jaune firmly in hand.

We got a few photies with Green Jesus. We funnily enough had Rio de Janiero and Amsterdam as the two cities on the bottles so never a moment shall pass.

The other two bottle had London on them and yes tasted of rats piss..

Until next time. Bite those tiles comrade!

• Upvote 8

How great would it be to see a green jesus flag on the kop?and the subsequent questions about what the fuck it was all about.wish I was clever enough to make one but wouldn't know where to start.

Would be great to let more people know about steve's story and amazing fortitude .

Imagine a flag of green jesus being waved at the start of a game when YNWA is being sung.,and being shown nationally on match of the day?awesome.

• Upvote 5

How great would it be to see a green jesus flag on the kop?and the subsequent questions about what the fuck it was all about.wish I was clever enough to make one but wouldn't know where to start.

Would be great to let more people know about steve's story and amazing fortitude .

Imagine a flag of green jesus being waved at the start of a game when YNWA is being sung.,and being shown nationally on match of the day?awesome.

make-it-so-o.gif

• Upvote 2

Just had a text off Steve with an update, his computer has died, he has not, and should be back online Tuesday.

Excellent.  Well, not that his computer has died obviously.

I lost my favourite grandparent to cancer when I was 10, then 15 years later it got my dad.  My dad was particularly bad because it was terminal by the time it was diagnosed (although I did have an idea it was serious by then) but even so the doctor said he could expect a year to 18 months.  This was in the middle of August 1996 so we thought we had time to prepare for the inevitable, a last Christmas, a last birthday (April), all that shit, then he died 6 weeks later on 8th October, first time he'd been early for anything in his life.

Over 18 years on from that and I've still usually swerved the cancer threads on here.  I'm choked and in tears writing this to be honest from taking those memories out and having a look at them, I usually keep them in a very deep dark box.  It probably sounds selfish as hell to someone like Col who lost a partner to it, or Steve who's just giving it the finger at every opportunity but even now at 43, I'd have happily chopped 10 years off my life to have one more day with my dad so I could tell him all the stuff I somehow never got the chance to.

Anyway, I honestly never thought anything to do with fucking cancer could make me smile.  Even the word sends a tiny piece of me away into that mental storeroom every time I hear it and I think it always will.

This thread though has given me a different perspective, which is no small feat after so much time.  Partly because of Steve's attitude and outlook and I guess partly because it highlights the simple decency of some good people.  Cancer is a cunt and no matter what their mentality is, it just gets into some people so hard and so fast that they can't do anything at all - that's what happened to my dad, it just kicked the fucking shit out of him.  I always thought that if (probably when) I end up with it, I'd basically just quit because well, what's the fucking point really.

I actually feel embarassed for having thought about it like that after reading this thread, seeing Steve's eternal optimism and obvious zest for life and the way he's dealing with it, in fact I'm ashamed of myself.  My life isn't much but there are millions of people in the world right now who would probably trade theirs with mine in a heartbeat.  When you look at it like that, it's nothing to give away cheaply.

Steve, you're a fucking star.

• Upvote 14

Stevebaby is back online!

You had us worried there, mister. (Very very) good to see you back, Steve

Yeah, I'm quite mortified! I knew what a lot of people were going to think when I went offline. Aaaargh! One of the nurses dropped the wireless keyboard onto the laptop keyboard (I saw her do it) and from then on my mouse refused to respond at all. So I could start the bloody thing but I couldn't do anything with it. Meanwhile my ISP decided that I wasn't using the account so they suspended my account. After a long time on the phone I eventually sorted out payment and connection issues and here I am.

Hospice life continues unchanged. Nobody else has died lately though, and that's a plus. When you're thrown together with other people in the same situation, particularly this situation, you form some pretty powerful bonds. I've come to know some of the other patients pretty well because there's really nobody else who understands what it's like to be so close to the end of our lives. I can be pretty nonchalant about my own death but when some of the others start dropping off it's going to affect me. That's something I have to prepare for as well.

I tell ya, I was jumping for joy to be back online. It was so good to be able to be in touch again that i got an erection! I'm so proud of it that I've been running around the ward showing everyone. No mean feat in a wheelchair and I gave the lift technician a bit of a shock, but fuckim if he can't take a joke I say.

• Upvote 14

This is all well and good and I don't want to appear callous here, but did you manage to get a picture of the sexy physio yet?

http://minus.com/i/ZquhyFZYZejc

Well, that's the closest I could get to a decent shot but she has this stupid expression on her face like she's just had something in her mouth...or something

• Upvote 14