You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

His main problem for me is that he isn't as good as he thinks he is.

Plays some appalling passes at times and I think he's going to be the one to drop down to the bench when Coutinho and Lallana come back. I'd like to keep him but why he won't sign a new contract including a realistic release figure must be down to playing time if the wages aren't the issue. To leave on a free is a bit of a cunts act, given the development and opportunities we've given him.

Going to Juve, for me, would be a step sideways at best and certainly not a step up.

It's not difficult is it? He's getting better and better. And he's only 23! (compare with Henderson who is 27 and Wijnaldum who is 26). He's a German international with 16 caps already. In a few years if he continues on this trajectory he will be one of the best midfielders in the world.

There has been a marked step up in his performance since towards the end of last season. He is developing into a quality player. If this level of performance is maintained he should be one of the first names on the team sheet especially in that midfield. He's got very good technique (example that amazing overhead kick he scored back end of last season - goal of the season), he has determination and a bit of steel about him - he doesn't get bullied (which is something our midfield is desperately short of at times). He doesn't go missing. He tries different things if something isn't working. He is having more and more influence now he is being allowed to get forward and this is definitely to his and the team's benefit.

For me he's shown he's worth the investment and playing time (if he maintains this level of performance). Hard to understand why he isn't signing - if it's not about the money, either he wants to leave and play for Juventus or he doesn't believe he will be a starter under Klopp with a fully fit squad. We're not privy to what goes on behind the scenes but hopefully we are doing what we Can to get him to sign a new contract (give him a release clause if it's about playing time?).

• Upvote 3

Fair enough, what he has said could be true. But Klopp also said that Coutinho has a back injury so he can only go on what he has been told by the player. Whether the player is being truthful is another matter.

If he wants more money, it would probably be in his interest to tell people that.  But again, this is a footballer, and this is the post-truth era so who knows....

Running down a contract is a perfectly fine and legal thing to do, and fine morally too as long as the player is clear on their intentions, and isn't promising to sign. The whole point of the contract is to retain the players for that set amount of time. After that, they owe you fuck all. It's up to the club to manage it better, to sell while they player is still worth something, and to adequately replace them, or to play them and take the hit.

What you don't do is take the financial hit AND not play them. Lose their value AND the player at the same time is fucking mental.

If he doesn't accept our best offer I'd actually consign him to the reserves. It'd be like he didn't exist. I would want it to be a message to anyone who has ideas about doing this in the future. Not at this club.

Calm your tits and stop being such a drama quim, players run down their contracts all the time, it's how we signed matip, take it you didn't have an issue with that?

• Upvote 2

Running down a contract is a perfectly fine and legal thing to do, and fine morally too as long as the player is clear on their intentions, and isn't promising to sign. The whole point of the contract is to retain the players for that set amount of time. After that, they owe you fuck all. It's up to the club to manage it better, to sell while they player is still worth something, and to adequately replace them, or to play them and take the hit.

What you don't do is take the financial hit AND not play them. Lose their value AND the player at the same time is fucking mental.

I don't think so if he's got months to go on his contract, he'll be gone anyway. And cutting your losses on a player isn't as easy as you think, as the club found with McManaman.

Calm your tits and stop being such a drama quim, players run down their contracts all the time, it's how we signed matip, take it you didn't have an issue with that?

Is that how you normally talk to people? Pfft

What happens at other clubs is up to them. It doesn't mean we have to settle for it at ours.

I don't think so if he's got months to go on his contract, he'll be gone anyway. And cutting your losses on a player isn't as easy as you think, as the club found with McManaman.

What does that mean?

If he's playing well and available for games, we're only punishing ourselves by not considering him for the team. We could potentially field a weaker team in order to 'send a message' to people that, what? Their contracts have an unwritten rule that means they have to sign a renewal 2 years before it expires? Indefinitely?

It's not easy but it's not Cans fault. He's playing well and earning his wages. He owes us fuck all once he's out of contract.

I'm fairly relaxed about the lad.

He's a very nice player, sometimes dominates a game, often doesn't, and fails to get games by the scruff of the neck when we need it.

He looked great against Arsenal, but most of that was down to the front 3 stretching Arsenal out, and his midfield opposition being MIA.

Still don't view him as box-to-box in the classic sense of doing it all season long, but will see how he gets on in the coming months. 

Would be very annoying to see him leave on a free though but he's seen what happened to Coutinho and you can't blame him.  If we're going to be dicks then we're going to see this happen more and more.

I wonder what Mane or Firmino would say if we offered them new contracts now.  Apparently Firmino has an £82m buyout clause at present. 

Best pass accuracy in PL so far this season (played 200 mins or more to qualify)

Dembele - 96% 

Mata - 90%

Davis - 90%

Dier - 89%

Matic - 89%

Key passes

Ozil - 12 (0 assists)

Silva - 10  (2 assists)

Brady - 9 (1 assist)

Mkhitaryan - 9 (5 assists)

Redmond - 8 (1 assist)

Willian - 8 (1 assist)