You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

and Can let the runner go.  It was a case of bad defending all round, it's just that some get a free pass.  Klavan made a few key interceptions yesterday, at least one of which got Matip out of jail as he was literally sitting on his arse. 

I posted last night about the corner we gave away needlessly from their throw in.

Can, Klavan and Mignolet all with a perfect view, not a single one gives a shout and we give away a corner without even a challenge from a Burnley player.

We need better players, a leader at the back and better coaching.

No one is coming out of this blame free including Klopp.

and Can let the runner go. It was a case of bad defending all round, it's just that some get a free pass. Klavan made a few key interceptions yesterday, at least one of which got Matip out of jail as he was literally sitting on his arse.

Klavan is obviously shit but I prefer him to Lovren simply because when Klavan makes a mistake it doesn't seem to affect him much afterwards. Lovren on the other hand makes an early mistake and goes to pieces for the rest of the game and drags his teammates with him.

I posted last night about the corner we gave away needlessly from their throw in.

Can, Klavan and Mignolet all with a perfect view, not a single one gives a shout and we give away a corner without even a challenge from a Burnley player.

We need better players, a leader at the back and better coaching.

No one is coming out of this blame free including Klopp.

It's of course important not to give away corners needlessly.

But our in inability to actually defend them is a far far bigger issue than the number we give away.

Yesterday Burnley had two corners, which is about as few as you could realistically expect. But they managed to create two massive opportunities from them.

• 2 weeks later...

This talk about Juve wanting him has really gone to his head. He finished last season well but frankly, this season he's been poor. He's trying too many fancy tricks and losing the ball in dangerous places around the box.

I can see Klopp dropping him and giving Ox Chambers a run.

Thought he was a bit too ponderous tonight. A touch too many here and there, and it leads to him trying to retrieve it while risking a foul, or getting overrun. He's a good player, but I'm not sure he's in our best current midfield if everyone is fit; even less so when Keita rolls into town.

Good player to keep for the squad, and if he kicks on he could easily be a fixture in the future team, but as things stand he is doing a decent-but-not-great job, and if he winds his contract down I won't be crying too much about the talent we let slip away, even if missing a transfer fee might not have been the best business.

Look, for the last time, Klopp isn't playing Can in the right way.

I know that playing in the wrong position can't wholly excuse some of Cans recent fuck ups, but honestly the bloke just isn't a defensive minded player.

Remember his first goal v Chelsea? The day he scored that i never even countenanced the thought that he would be used in such a defensive way in the future.

The bloke clearly has talent, but in a more offensive role.

Hes been centre back, right back, "pretend" holding midfielder, and the only time he catches the eye is when he strays forward.

So, if Klopp won't use him in that way, he should be replaced with someone who does have defensive credentials. Cos Can doesn't have any.

Personally i'd keep him, use him as an attacking mid, and sell Firmino, who is phoning it in at the moment.

Guest Pistonbroke

He's been shit for a good few weeks now.

It seems to be a pattern with the lad, plays well for a small chunk of the season then reverts back to shitness for the same length of time. Even when he plays well he makes the same silly mistakes, albeit fewer than normal. 

If Can is an attacking midfielder he doesn't get in the side ahead of Coutinho, that's a definite. Then an arguable, but a case I would make, is he doesn't get in ahead of Lallana either (obviously if fit). It remains to be seen where Keita plays, but he doesn't get in ahead of him either.

Conclusion: he's a decent player, at least worth his place in the squad, has shown some quality and fight, particularly last season, but there's not quite enough there to suggest he should be a fixture in the side we are becoming.

If he chooses to wind his deal down so he can be a fixture in someone else's side, and secure himself a massive payday at the expense of the club getting a fee for selling him, then file under the ****ness of modern football.

But limiting it to what he offers as a player, it's not quite enough for me, especially if he wants to be an attacking midfielder.

Now, if he had the mentality to do whatever it takes, he would probably improve the team by replacing Lovren, but he seems a bit more career minded does Emre.

He seems to think he is something special and still hasn't signed a contract... I don't understand the stance from the club at all...

Jimmy do you not think he played well towards the end of last year because he wanted to? He seems to play for himself and not the team to me... He said he wasn't fit last year, then he wanted to play his best position now it's a release clause... Id of fucked him off.

I dont know whether he played well because he wanted to, listened to Klopp's advice and acted on it, was just a good spell of form or combination of the above.

What's clear is he's not playing well so far this season. He's doing fancy flicks and stuff in dangerous positions that have been a bit costly for the team.

To be honest, Id have jibbed him for Juve's £20m in the last window. He seems to want a release clause in his contract which is proving a sticking point so, we either let him go in January for something like £10m or less or, he goes on a free at the end of the season.

I dont know whether he played well because he wanted to, listened to Klopp's advice and acted on it, was just a good spell of form or combination of the above.

What's clear is he's not playing well so far this season. He's doing fancy flicks and stuff in dangerous positions that have been a bit costly for the team.

To be honest, Id have jibbed him for Juve's £20m in the last window. He seems to want a release clause in his contract which is proving a sticking point so, we either let him go in January for something like £10m or less or, he goes on a free at the end of the season.

He was awful last night but he's had some very good performance's this season. 

He doesn't have the creativity and precision in his passing (not consistently, anyway) to be a number 10, he can't play box to box because he accelerates like a pissed up sloth, and he can't play as a holding midfielder because he isn't disciplined enough.

He's a very talented footballer, and has moments of utter brilliance, but he doesn't seem to have the attributes to suit a certain role in midfield. I can see why he's been tried at centreback and fullback by multiple managers.

I guess Khedira is the player he could become, but he'd obviously need to have considerably less shite games than he is currently having.

• Upvote 2

He doesn't have the creativity and precision in his passing (not consistently, anyway) to be a number 10, he can't play box to box because he accelerates like a pissed up sloth, and he can't play as a holding midfielder because he isn't disciplined enough.

He's a very talented footballer, and has moments of utter brilliance, but he doesn't seem to have the attributes to suit a certain role in midfield. I can see why he's been tried at centreback and fullback by multiple managers.

I guess Khedira is the player he could become, but he'd obviously need to have considerably less shite games than he is currently having.

Biggest difference is Khedira has a brain.  Can plays like a schoolboy in a mans body.  Can't see him ever reaching that level.

Can is a selfish footballer and his shortcomings are all athletic as well as mental weakness.

I see his career trajectory following something more akin to that Emre at Newcastle from years back, or Tiago or Kallstrom or Frings or even Cocu.  Decent enough, will get lots of caps, but never an elite-level operator. 

Biggest difference is Khedira has a brain.  Can plays like a schoolboy in a mans body.  Can't see him ever reaching that level.

Agreed. I don't think he will either. 

The link to Juventus is interesting. I think they'll take him on a free and then sell him to the 5th or 6th best team in Germany in 12 months when they realise he's far too dim to be playing in Serie A.