You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

By rating, Oxlade Chamberlain is the best midfielder in the division this season so far. 

8 interceptions

2 blocked shots

8 clearances

Henderson has 3 interceptions, 0 blocked shots, and 2 clearances. 

Can has 2 interceptions, 0 blocked shots, and 5 clearances.

If only they had played against each other recently so we could see who played best. Nah, he hasn't been a midfielder, hence those stats.

He has world class potential, it will be a shame to see him fulfil it elsewhere, but that's football. We'll be absolutely fine without him.

Having said that, I really hope he sees that he can achieve all of his ambitions here, has a boss, trophy winning season and then signs a 6 year contract to stay.

Would be very annoying to see him leave on a free though but he's seen what happened to Coutinho and you can't blame him. If we're going to be dicks then we're going to see this happen more and more.

I wonder what Mane or Firmino would say if we offered them new contracts now. Apparently Firmino has an £82m buyout clause at present.

I think we did well keeping Coutinho this summer, and I wouldn't say we acted like di**s at all - Barcelona may have, and the player himself may have, but we protected our interests throughout and did not allow ourselves to be bullied. I was glad to see the club show some backbone.

I fully expect release clauses to become a more prominent feature in new contracts. It's a simple legal thing that helps everyone know where they stand. The fact that Coutinho didn't have one reflects poorly on his advisers.

Emre Can is a decent player but is clearly a good level or more below the likes of Coutinho, Firmino or Mane. Can has played a blinder in winding his contract down, which he is well within his rights to do. It will increase his options and his pay packet when he leaves on a free next summer, as most expect him to. There's an outside chance he will sign if we give him enough money, but chances are we see him as a future back up, along with AOC, once Keita gets here. He isn't quite good enough for us to be willing to be held over a barrel for, but he is a decent player.

PS - as for Firmino's release clause, we all know where we stand. If someone triggers it and he wants to go, he will do. Given the inflation in the market, I'm sure the next deal he signs with us will see us want to raise the trigger point, especially if we give him a pay rise.

To me, it makes little sense for Can to sign now, if he is free in the summer. If he does well he will have unlimited options, including staying at the club. What he loses on one year's wages increase, he can easily make up on a signing fee or loyalty bonus or better pay package in the future. I agree with Wenger that more and more players will be looking to wind their contracts down and than negotiate from this position.

Chelsea and Manchester United are interested in Germany international and Liverpool midfielder Emre Can, who will be available on a free transfer next summer.

It has already been rumoured the 23-year-old will refuse to sign a new contract at Anfield, with Juventus linked earlier this summer. (Tuttosport).

Mario Gomez praised his Germany team-mate and Liverpool transfer target Timo Werner, who scored twice in Monday night's 6-0 thrashing of Norway, remarking that the RB Leipzig striker will "dominate the next ten years". (SPORT Bild)

Timo Werner - would love to sign him. Maybe Origi will tear it up for Wolfsburg and then at the end of the year we could use him to prise Werner away from Leipzig?

As for Can, I want him to stay, but if he is going to go, he needs to go to Juventus. It will be very unpalatable to see him wind his contract down and go on a free to Chelsea, or worse, Man Utd.

He wants a release clause now. What does he want a release clause for if he wants to stay here for years?

Emre Can's contract stand-off with Liverpool remains unresolved due to the club not agreeing to his request for a release clause.

The Germany international has started the season in outstanding form but he is now in the final 10 months of his current deal and will be free to talk to clubs in Europe from January 1.

Can, who was the subject of interest from Juventus during the summer window, has been in discussions with Liverpool about a new contract for more than 12 months – the first offer was made in June 2016 – and he has repeatedly said the impasse has nothing to do with money.

0400A653000007D0-0-image-a-13_1504646650
+5
  •  

Midfielder Emre Can's contract stand-off with Liverpool remains unresolved

053D259A000003E8-0-image-m-15_1504646659
+5
  •  

The German international is now in the final 10 months of his current deal

He has asked, though, for a clause but Liverpool will not insert one. 

They took the same stance with Philippe Coutinho when he signed a new contract in January and that decision paid off this summer with Barcelona failing with repeated attempts to sign the Brazilian.

Jurgen Klopp is relaxed about the situation and made it clear in the summer he would rather let Can leave for nothing in 12 months than sell him now, just to receive a transfer fee. 

0541532D000003E8-0-image-m-16_1504646669
+5
  •  

Liverpool have refused to agree to the German's request for a release clause

That move has been vindicated with the former Bayer Leverkusen midfielder starring in the opening weeks.

Discussions will continue with Can, who cost Liverpool £10million when he arrived in the summer of 2014, with Liverpool refusing to give up on the idea he will eventually commit his future but it is clear there is still a lot to be done before that can happen.

Nathaniel Clyne, meanwhile, is facing another two months on the sidelines owing to a persistent back problem. 

43E541AD00000578-0-image-a-3_15046465514
+5
  •  

The club took a similar stance with Philippe Coutinho when he signed a new deal in January

He has only played 45 minutes of football since the end of last season – that was in a friendly at Tranmere in July – and was left out of Liverpool’s Champions League squad on Monday.

Klopp said: 'Nathaniel is working hard on his rehab and we have kept a close eye on his progress, but the reality is we are looking at some time still before he is back and available for selection. 

'I am told it will be longer than just a couple of weeks, so we will continue to monitor and assess.' 

We really need to get this lad signed up. He's improved year on year to the point he looks a real player which we don't want to lose. Could be down to the coaching he's been getting but no doubt, the boys got talent and the less we lose of that the better.

Surely even giving him a release clause is worth it. Make it big and we get a fee. Better than loosing him for nothing

Just find a decent option for both.

The release is valid of we dont play in the Champions league and has to be paid before July 30th amd only in the summer window. Seems a fair deal for both

We have almost zero leverage in this contract deal, which means that Can will get whatever he wants.

I think more and more players are going to insist on clauses in future contracts, this is just the first of many.  They have seen what happened this summer with VVD/Coutinho/Keita and know that if you don't have a cast-iron clause in the deal then your club can always just hold you to your contract.  Before there was an informal understanding that if a bigger club came in you would go, but it seems that's in serious doubt now so this is a logical response from the players.

The question I have is why we won't just agree.  Even if he wants a ridiculously low clause, something like £35m or whatever, it's still better than just losing him on a free.  If we had him on a 5-year deal and Juve or whoever wanted him it'd be at least £60m at this point, but we're never going to get a clause anywhere near that.  He's just throwing away money if he did.

I predict that it'll end up with an offer from us of a £50m anyone-pays-it-he's-gone clause, and then it drops to £40m for non-English clubs if we're not in the CL or something like that.  He might take that, he might not.  He'd probably get wages of £120k/week and a £15m signing bonus at Juventus next summer if he just runs out his contract, so you'd have to think that option will be pretty tempting as well.

I would imagine a release clause would be a good thing. No low-ball tactics to undermine player/reduce transfer value, only certain clubs who can afford the release clause would be interested and at least player and club know exactly where they stand.