You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here’s a complete list of specs and features for the handset:

4-inch touchscreen Retina display (326 PPI) with 1136 x 640 resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio and integrated touch support

Weight: 112g

Size: 7.6mm

A6 chip: twice faster than A5, 22% smaller

Graphics: twice faster than predecessor

8-megapixel camera with five-element lens, backside illumination, hybrid IR filter, f/2.5 aperture, dynamic low light mode, precision lens alignment, sapphire crystal, panorama mode (28-megapixel photos), 1080p video recording, improved video stabilization, face detection, photo-taking while recording; size: 25% smaller

A6 chip Photo features: next-gen ISP, spatial noise reduction, smart filter, better low-light performance, faster photo capture

FaceTime HD front-facing camera with backside illumination, FaceTime over cellular, 720p video recording and face detection

HSPA+, DC-HSPA, support

LTE (single chip, single radio, dynamic antenna)

LTE global support for Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, Bell, Telus, Rogers, SingTel, SmarTone, SK Telecom, KDDI, SoftBank, Deutsche Telekom, Everything Everywhere

Wi-Fi: 802.11 a/b/g/n, 2.4GHz and 5GHz on 802.11n

GPS with turn-by-turn directions

Three microphones, bottom, front and back – improved speaker design: five magnet transducer, 20% smaller

Wideband audio, Noise-cancelation ear-piece

HD voice

Battery life: 8 hours for 3G talk, 3G browsing or LTE browsing; 10 hours for Wi-Fi browsing and video playback, 40 hours for music playback and 225 hours standby

New 9-pin connector called Lighting: all-digital 8-signal design, adaptive interface, improved durability, 80% smaller

Siri support

iOS 6

Apart from bigger screen (from the 4s), very disappointing. Samsung must be pissing themselves.

I have a 5 month old 4s and while they can hold a half decent price have you tried selling anything these days? Once you've waded through the pile of insulting offers there's only the scammers left. It wears me out, it really does.

Looking at the comparison between the 4s and the 5 it makes for sad reading.

Apple (United Kingdom) - iPhone 5 - Compare specifications between iPhone models.

The main difference is the size of the screen, that's it. LTE is AFAIK only available in 4 cities and only through orange/t-mobile at the moment. It will take a while to become widespread.

The size and weight isn't an issue as I always have a case anyway. Most of the changes will be the operating system which is free and will work perfectly on my 4s.

So although I was looking forward to this new phone and I was tempted, it just isn't worth it for me.

Not worth it if you have the 4s but it's been the same with almost every new update, they do the absolute minimum so they can rinse people more often. I'm probably going to get it, I missed out on the 4 and 4s because I wanted to go with an android phone for a bit, I've never had so many hardware issues with a phone in my life so I'm going to play it safe and go back to iPhone.

I worked for Ericsson, SonyEricsson, Symbian, Nokia and Motorola in smartphone development. Apple haven't been especially innovative in anything. They took the vast majority of good ideas and designs from others but assembled them together into a great product...

But most of all, they marketed the idea better than anybody else ever had done.

'Apps' have been around donkeys years. touchscreen UI, camera phones.... all been done before.

RIM did a similar thing with Push Email - something that had been around for quite a while, but they marketed it so well, many people thought a Blackberry was the ONLY device that had it!... many still think that.

There are plenty more 'issues' with Apple... and many of them can be labelled at Google too (who are no angels either).

iPhone is a splendid phone. It does what it does exceptionally well - and better than any other device on the market.

Other devices do more, and are starting to do those things well (instead of clumsily).

At the end of the day, the same issues that did for Ericsson and Motorola, that then did for Nokia, will eventually do for Apple. People want 'the best' as long as they think it's a fairly exclusive club. When everybody else has one - they turn to a new device / manufacturer. The 'wow' factor of iPhone is diminishing and folks are liking what they see from Samsung and to a lesser extent HTC (who have slightly gone off the boil of late).

Apple spend around 3% on Research and Development, whilst most others are spending 10-15% (and more)... investing in innovation.

Apple do what they do brilliantly, but they don't actually invent very much. They're pretty much 'finishers'. They take innovations and ideas from others and bring it to market better than anybody else.

Galaxy S3 or iPhone 5 or other, that's the dilemma I'm facing at the moment.

I'd hold off.... the S3 and One X will most likely get refreshes (newer variants) in the next 6 months), I'd opt for either of those variants.

I use One X and I'm disappointed - great phone, but like the iPhone 5, it's not a major step up from predecessors really (technically it is, but in real world use, it's not).... slightly regretting not moving to S3, but I'd not switch now (next time around I move over to Samsung).

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Well made and manufactured, but meh. NEver had an iPhone. Probably never will. I just hope Android makes Mac syncing better in the next version.

The new iTunes looks much better than the current version though, which is outdated to fuck.

How you finding it? Think of doing this myself? How's the difference?

I'm loving it mate. Thought the size of it may be an issue, but it isn't. Weighs less than the iphone too. Very user friendly, does most things the iphone does, all bar a couple of the apps that I had are available on android. Battery life isn't great but I use mine quite a lot so that won't help it, although charging off USB helps when I'm in work.

The major bonus is not being tied to itunes that really used to piss me off, the phone comes with software that converts your music off itunes. I have an SD card fitted which is a bonus.

All in all mate a few of the reviews made me sceptical but I'm glad I changed. Hope this helps.

Got a 3GS and been on a rolling contract for a year now.

Was hoping the iphone5 would be worth switching networks for but it doesn't appear to be the case. Looks like its the android for me. Shame

Exactly the same here mate, kept with my old iPhone til it couldn't go anymore. Didn't want to wait for the 5, and rightly so it now seems. I got a Samsung Galaxy Note and I'm very happy with it.

I'd hold off.... the S3 and One X will most likely get refreshes (newer variants) in the next 6 months), I'd opt for either of those variants.

I use One X and I'm disappointed - great phone, but like the iPhone 5, it's not a major step up from predecessors really (technically it is, but in real world use, it's not).... slightly regretting not moving to S3, but I'd not switch now (next time around I move over to Samsung).

Thanks for the advice. I need to get a new laptop and sound card anyway so I think this would be the prudent move for me at the moment and stick with my S3.

Heard any news about these "Playstation Phones"? I imagine they are going to be on ridiculous contracts.